Where were you 50 years ago? (Apollo 11)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
K-Mart 4065 Battle Creek watching on a 5" Black and white TV in the cafeteria area when I was on break.  I was kind of popular with that little Panasonic pop up TV :)

In Military housing on Forrestal ave, in N.Kingstown, R.I. (CBC Davisville). Watched the whole feed from NASA. A Lifetime Memory for Me.

At home in Sunnymead, California just outside March Air Force Base.  I was 29 years old at the time, had been married 8 years and had two children.  I was really disappointed because I was not sitting at one of those consoles in Houston.  Unknown to me I had been offered a controller job in Houston when I was working in the command post of the 44th Strategic Missile Wing at Ellsworth AFB, South Dakota. BUT, my boss, a colonel, decided that he could not spare me from the piddling job I was in despite several replacements being already on hand in the form of missile crewmembers hitting their four year point on crew and requiring to be moved to new jobs.  One month later he approved my transfer to 15th Air Force Hq at March AFB.  I find it hard to forgive him even 52 years later.

It was my last summer at home before going off to college, and Dad had just bought a new, big screen Magnetbox (Magnavox) TV for the den. We didn't even leave the TV for meals!  ;D

I was 5 years old and had a hard time understanding it.  Based on my understanding of the small moon (seen from earth) it would take only 1 step to fall off of it. 

I was 5 living in Castro Valley, CA. 

Gary- my future FIL was working for IBM in upstate NY.

In a tavern with 6 other bikers somewhere along hiighway 13.. in Wisconsin Rapids, WI

I was working for IBM in Cape Canaveral.  On launch day I was on the catwalk of one of the radar domes 4 miles from the launch pad. Apollo 11 went right over my head. Man, that thing was huge, and loud.
We watched the landing on a small b/w tv from our house in Cocoa.

I was busy building my business which I had started 6 years earlier. Hadn't eve dreamed of ever owning an RV of any kind. In fact I said you would never catch me driving a motor home across country but that was 50 years ago

I was turning 5 years old.  I have the vague memory of my grandparents visiting and we watched it.  I wasn't really old enough to grasp what a big deal it was

We were living in Nasa Bay, Houston, Texas at the heart and soul of the space program. My father was an aerospace engineer (Good friends with Wernher Von Braun, he was one of the original rocket scientists) and heavily involved with the Apollo Missions. Just out of college my future bride and I were getting married in a few days. We will be celebrating our 50th this week. Sweet memories!

Hi hleap,

While the space program had lots of scientists, Wernher Von Braun was certainly the brain child of the Apollo Program. What an honor for your dad to work and know him. Congratulations on your anniversary!

13 years old and our folks got us up to watch it on the black and white in the ?tv room?. We lived in West Palm Beach and Dad was an engineer with Pratt and Whitney so we were very interested in the space program. We could see the smoke trails from the launches at the cape from our roof so we would watch the countdowns to liftoff, then run outside and up a ladder to see the real thing.

Bien Hoa Air Base Vietnam watching over a large group of Dog Handlers ;D

I was floating around on the USS Hornet CVS-12 waiting to pick up the crew.  I got back from a Westpac cruse mid May and headed out a couple weeks later to practice picking up the capsule.  I was lucky to have both my brothers stationed on the ship with me. 

The CS3 standing on the right is Mike Martinez.  He was a very good friend of both me and my brother. 

Attachments

• RS-CVS-12.jpg
    RS-CVS-12.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 33
Back
Top Bottom