Which class is right for me?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
To follow up on your initial post, looking at brochures and floor plans is a start, but is no substitute for seeing a model in person. I have started looking for our potential next coach, as ours is now 22 years old, and in the 7 years I have owned it I have seen a marked drop in availability of replacement parts, some parts are now junk yard only items. One of the coaches I had put on my to be considered list based on photos, brochures, etc. was a model offered for 3-4 years by Winnebago from about 2012-2016, as chance would have it I saw that there were 2 examples for sale at an RV dealership that specializes in higher end used class A's in a town we were passing through on a trip last year, so we stopped in to see them in person, and after doing so, it is now Off the potential list, I hated the drivers seat position, small for class A windshield due to the over cab drop down bed, could not fit comfortably in the bathroom, etc. On paper this was a real contender, but on paper is not the same as in person.

p.s. on service, it seems more shops are willing to work on power train side of Class C's as they are basically van (or sometimes pick up truck) front ends with a box added to the back, so many independent shops that normally work on such vehicles feel comfortable working on them if they will fit through their garage doors. For DIY mechanics class A's can give you better access a lot of times, but fewer shops are willing to work on them.

Also, remember that you may need a special drivers license if you are a resident of a few states, that does not mean that you need a special drivers license to drive through those states!

Also, know that one of your first decisions will be which state you become a resident in. If, like me, you own no property (home or condo, etc) in any state, you can become a resident of a state where things like license plates and taxes are cheaper. For example, I used to live in Michigan, but sold my condo there, and I became a resident of my son's house in Ohio. I list it as my permanent home, register to vote there, and use the address for my income tax forms.

I bought my 32' Class C that weighs about 14,800 pounds new and registered it in Ohio because that is where i declared my domicile and residence. I have a son in California, but taxes are much higher there, and my license plate would have cost several hundred dollars per year there. In Ohio, my motorhome license plates cost me only $64 per year, and that is a $5 increase from previous years. They also allow me to buy my plates several years in advance, so last year I bought mine through 2026. Also, Ohio does not require a special drivers license for any weight motorhome.

So, you might want to do some research on choosing a residence after you sell your home and before you buy an RV.

Hmmmm, do you need to be licensed in a state for your job as a dental assistant?

Correct me if I'm wrong. But the motor for a class c sticks out of the front. The motor for a class a is underneath. So you would get more living space in a class A for the same length of RV?

There are some magic numbers out there for the length of an RV. I have a 31 footer. Lots of times. I'm on unable to get a camping spot with a 31 footer but when I change it 30 I get more spots. I noticed that 27 ft is also a magic number.

Correct me if I'm wrong. But the motor for a class c sticks out of the front. The motor for a class a is underneath. So you would get more living space in a class A for the same length of RV?
The engine is under a dog house and it's not really living space. The cockpit area is largely wasted space if you're not underway.

The front seats in a class A tend to swivel around and can be used as part of the living room seating, few class C seats can do the same, and if they do they still have the limited cab height so are not as much a part of the living area..

The engine is under a dog house and it's not really living space. The cockpit area is largely wasted space if you're not underway.
Actually, as Ike says, the seats swivel to be used when camped, and the doghouse in many of them has a shelf or some such on top that can be used as a side table for those seats. But that's just for a gasoline class A. You don't even have the doghouse in a DP.

Actually, as Ike says, the seats swivel to be used when camped, and the doghouse in many of them has a shelf or some such on top that can be used as a side table for those seats. But that's just for a gasoline class A. You don't even have the doghouse in a DP.
In some. In mine the drivers seat swivels but the passenger is back against the dining area bench seat.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoeHoward
Back
Top Bottom