Which one?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RVRAC

We are trying to decide between Direct TV and Dish.  Which one do you recommend?  What has been your experience?  Thanks.

Depends... I use directv at home so it's a no brainer for me. Dish offers pay as you go for RV'ers and you can get HD on a standard dome with dish. But for me, I like Directv.

I have Dish Network right now. I have it at home and pay an extra $7.00 to have the same programming in the RV. I have had them both and I wouldn't give either one a high score for customer service but from what I have been hearing DirecTV has been doing a little better.

There are basically 3 services DirecTV DirecHDTV and dish (both HD and NTSC)

IF you have an DOME antenna so that you can record programming as you drive, DirecTV (NOT HD) works 100% with domes, Few if any problems provided the dome is properly operating, however you want to install an A/B switch with A connected to the dome up Abov e and B connected to a connector down Below (Bulkhead or basement, in my case the brake bell crank bracket.  This way you can hook up a ground mount, switch to B aim and enjoy,, (Of course if you don't have a dome, Just a ground mount, skip the above)

DirecHDTV requires a special dish type antenna, it has 3 LNB's covering 3 satellites and two frequency bands,  This can be roof mounted, automatic, or ground mounted, (If roof mounted see the "A/B Switch" portion of above as it applies to all roof mounts)

DISH SD uses two, and HD used 3 satellites in the same frequency band.

SOME dome antennas, if operated with a SINGLE receiver (NOT DVR) can switch between the three (There are really six but they are two groups of 3, the other 3 are for use on the atlantic coast side of the country) satellites under receiver control.  Some can not, Mine can not even see the 3rd without a new program and alas no more customer support for that model.

With more than one receiver, or a dual-(or mroe) channel DVR, the odds are you need to see two birds at one time to get both shows,  A dome can not do that.

Again, with the proper 3-LNB (Triplet) DISH type antenna, Be it roof or ground mount, no problem at all, (or multiple domes if you want to go that route.

Now: Why the A/B switch if you use a roof mount.

Simple.. I sometimes park under the evil signal eating tree, Since the dome can not see through the trees, when that happens, switch to ground mount and ... Enjoy.

Of course right now for other reasons I'm running only Over the air.. So far, So good.

If this is new satellite tv service, i.e. you don't already have one or the other in your home, choose on the basis of the programming package you like the best for the price you can afford.  However, if you only want to use it part time, the Pay-as-you-go option from Dish may be the best financial choice. Direct doesn't have that option.

We have had a Dish Tailgater antenna  for almost a year and we are fulltime RV'ers. It has one feature that we like. You can call them, give them a local address and get the  local tight -beamed channels. That is a nice feature for learning about local activities--fairs--parades--festivals.  You have to buy a certain model reciever for the system to work.

halfwright said:
We have had a Dish Tailgater antenna  for almost a year and we are fulltime RV'ers. It has one feature that we like. You can call them, give them a local address and get the  local tight -beamed channels. That is a nice feature for learning about local activities--fairs--parades--festivals.  You have to buy a certain model reciever for the system to work.

You can do the same for DirecTV. Be careful, and make sure you switch it back when you get home. The way they do it is to change your mailing address to the address of the campground or town you are in. You have to change it back.

parttymer said:
You can do the same for DirecTV. Be careful, and make sure you switch it back when you get home. The way they do it is to change your mailing address to the address of the campground or town you are in. You have to change it back.

They change your service address to the campground location, but not your billing address.  The billing address is used for all mailings.  The worst that happens if you forget to change the service address is you won't get any local network channels until you change it to your current location.

Back
Top Bottom