Which satellite system to get...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OK, made the pilgramage today to both Sam's Club and Costco.  Sam's Club has dish only.  Strike one. Costco has neither.  Used to have Dish but dumped them.  They are in the process of getting DirecTV but don't know when it will be available.  Strike two.

Next, in-motion is out of the question for us, we have a 5th wheel which when traveling we only use the bedroom and bathroom while staying at truck stops.  Don't need to watch TV while driving because we are both such good company.  ;D

So DirecTV with whatever kind  of DVR we can get is the target. I have the niftiest little mount that I got in Valentine Nebraska at a TV/appliance store.  The base is homemade out of concrete and the mast is mounted to that.  I long ago threw away the dish but saved the LNB.  I suppose if we want two units (bedroom and living room) plus DVR we will need tripple LNB's right? How does that work if the DVR is not connected to the TV you want to watch the show on? The trailer is supposedly wired for both cable and Satelite (has two inputs) but I doubt if the living room and bedroom are wired the same.

Brazilian TV for my wife is an absolute requirement.  For me, I just want to watch the Fox News Channel.  It's not included in what we have here in the park.  They give us all free "cable,"  but its really a satellite feed (unknown origin) with only 30 channels.  Doesn't need a box.

I don't have HDTV now and don't plan to get it right away.  Eventually probalby wiill, should I get an HDTV box?

Bruce & S?nia
Desert's Edge RV Village
Phoenix Arizona

You can use one antenna with dual LNBs with 2 DTV DVR receivers by using a multi-switch between the LNBs and the receivers.  Each receiver can then use both tuners to record and/or view programs independently of the other as the DTV DVRs have 2 tuners.  The HD DVRs are much more expensive, and require a larger, elliptical, dish and multiple LNBs.  If you have no immediate need for HDTV then I wouldn't waste the money.

Not that complicated.  The LNBs connect to the multi-switch, and the receivers connect to the outputs of the multi-switch.  Without the multi-switch, you can only use one receiver at a time, or only one tuner on each at a time.

Ned:

Do the multi switches need independent power or do they receive it from the receiver? To do a dual DVR installation I'll need two switches?

Where can you get them, Radio Shack?

I believe the multi-switches need power, but I've not installed one.  For a 2 DVR installation with 2 tuners each, you would need a 2x4 multi-switch: 2 inputs and 4 outputs.  RS probably has some, but shop online for better prices and more choices.

RS does carry a very complete line of multis.  It is one of their biggest sellers.

And Bruce, try Best Buy for DirecTV.  Also the Radio Shack at QZ sells DTV and does a great job of setting it up.  That is where we got DVR last year.

Ned said:
Not that complicated.  The LNBs connect to the multi-switch, and the receivers connect to the outputs of the multi-switch.  Without the multi-switch, you can only use one receiver at a time, or only one tuner on each at a time.

I am in a bit late on this discussion but for a mobile user like RVers, don't you still need a phone hookup to use the second receiver with Direct TV??

As for TIVO and Direct TV, I went through this several months ago. I searched for a TIVO unit and the only ones available were on Ebay and had been modified with new hard drives, etc, so I was not comfortable. I went with the latest Direct TV R-15 and like Terry Brewer told me, if I never was exposed to TIVO I would probably not know the difference. That is true. We could not  be happier with our R-15, as it does all we could want. They just did a major software update this past week and I see even more features.

Bob

Bob Zambenini said:
...don't you still need a phone hookup to use the second receiver with Direct TV??

Bob, we have 3 DTV receivers, including the R15 DVR, and none of them have ever had a phone hookup.

I updated ours last month and some of the differences were the capability to rearrange recorded programs including creating folders and a new setup screen.

Regarding Multi-Switches.. yes, they need power.. Generally they get it from the Receiver same as the LNB but some have to draw off their own supplies.

I have an RCA multi-switch here, not in use and I might add not recommended.

The DISH-PRO dishes have switches built in,  Receiver powered.

I have a DISQ switch at home too (4 LNBx1 Receiver) which I'll find a use for after I get back to it.  (Tomorrow's job is testing some satellites and other stuff it will work with)

It can be all very confusing.

Going to install sat on tripod to night, do I need 1 or two lnbs i have two tvs one in the bedroom and one in the main area.  I don't understand the how the lnbs work do you need one per receiver? 

Thanks

Jeff

Jeff,

You need one LNB per receiver, but the dual LNBs have both in one housing with 2 coax connectors.  If you use more than 2 receivers, then you need a multi-switch and still only need 2 (or a dual) LNBs.

Alaskansnowbirds said:
Bob,

We also have a R-15 and I haven't noticed any changes. What features were added?

Thanks

Don, There are different series of R-15s and the updates were or are being done here in early Jan. Mine was in middle of night on 11 Jan. You can see this on you Menu, under System where they show the date of latest version of software. I believe my previous version was back in Nov 2006.

On mine, managing Episodes was difficult. You had to press the record button twice to set it to record all Episodes and with the delay of pressing the button twice it was hard to get the double image circle R.  Now on left you see a menu item Rec Episodes. From there you can set to record or take them off recording. Also, before to remove recording  a series you had to wade through the setup menu to the Prioritizer.

Now on the bottom bar which shows when you are fast forwarding through commercials, you can see you speed ( 1, 2, 3, or 4 X ) either fwd or rev down on lower right. I never had that before. Also, that tic mark that shows on time line were you are in the progam was frequently inaccurate but so far it seems accurate.

There were some technical bugs fixed also like a few channels that would not record but I never experienced any.

When they do these updates they reset your box. I did lose one recorded program or I should say Joyce lost one, as it was her evening sex show that takes place in  Alaska. But I called it up on the Internet and used the network playback. She sat here in front of the computer for a full hour and watched it.

I believe most of  the networks now have the latest episodes available on streaming video and it works very well if you have DSL or Cable.

Sorry I am not making it to Quartzsite this year. Give Ken my best. I was looking forward to chatting with him again about Flight Sims and the new Microsoft FSX.

Bob

Bob Zambenini said:
Don, There are different series of R-15s and the updates were or are being done here in early Jan. Mine was in middle of night on 11 Jan. You can see this on you Menu, under System where they show the date of latest version of software. I believe my previous version was back in Nov 2006.

Mine must really be differant. I can't find anything under system. All it shows is dish type and how many LNBs.

On mine, managing Episodes was difficult. You had to press the record button twice to set it to record all Episodes and with the delay of pressing the button twice it was hard to get the double image circle R.  Now on left you see a menu item Rec Episodes. From there you can set to record or take them off recording. Also, before to remove recording  a series you had to wade through the setup menu to the Prioritizer.

I have to press the record button twice also. I have a lot of problems with it not doing a double circle R. Some programs it will and others it won't.

Now on the bottom bar which shows when you are fast forwarding through commercials, you can see you speed ( 1, 2, 3, or 4 X ) either fwd or rev down on lower right. I never had that before. Also, that tic mark that shows on time line were you are in the program was frequently inaccurate but so far it seems accurate.

I have the speed info on ours and the tic mark seems to be pretty close. Do you have the 30 second jump button ->| (one o'clock position from the play button)? Ours didn't work when we first got it but started to work about a month after we got the R-15.

There were some technical bugs fixed also like a few channels that would not record but I never experienced any.

When they do these updates they reset your box. I did lose one recorded program or I should say Joyce lost one, as it was her evening sex show that takes place in Alaska. But I called it up on the Internet and used the network playback. She sat here in front of the computer for a full hour and watched it.

Are you saying that when they update the R-15 that you lose everything you have recorded? That would be a bummer.

Sorry I am not making it to Quartzsite this year. Give Ken my best. I was looking forward to chatting with him again about Flight Sims and the new Microsoft FSX.

Sorry you can't make it to Quartzsite. I'll tell Ken you said Hi. I know he enjoyed talking to you about FS.

Give Joyce a hug for us.

Regards

Don

Alaskansnowbirds said:
Are you saying that when they update the R-15 that you lose everything you have recorded? That would be a bummer.

No, No, not at all. I had  about 30  recorded programs and this one was there but  could not get it to play. I just assumed it was because of them resetting. Nor did I lose any of my  programs set to record.

To find the software version, its Menu>Settings>Setup>Info and Test. Its at the bottom on left side.

Do you leave yours on all night? I read you can force an update from your remote but a certain code but I don't see the need unless you are having problems.

I have never tried that 30 sec jump. Joyce has that remote and I have an All-in-One I have programmed and don't believe I set that button. I will try it.

Bob

The R-15 is updated via the satellite, no phone line needed.  The older R-10 and earlier DirecTivos needed a phone line for software updates.

Bob Zambenini said:
To find the software version, its Menu>Settings>Setup>Info and Test. Its at the bottom on left side.

Thanks Bob, I'll have to check that out. We're at Quartzsite now so will check it out when we get home.

Do you leave yours on all night? I read you can force an update from your remote but a certain code but I don't see the need unless you are having problems.

Yes, we leave it on all the time. I'll have to check the manual an see if I can force an update.

Back
Top Bottom