White Hose Storage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlazar

Comments on the forum say to make sure you keep your white (potable water) hose away from your dump hoses when storing.  My question is do you folks store your white hose(s) in the same compartment as the water hook-ups or in a separate compartment?  What about storing your other hose (for tank flushing) in the same compartment?  Or should it be kept separate also?  If they are safe to store in the water hook-up compartment, that will free space in other compartments for other things.  But I want to do what is safe.  I always disconnect each hose after use, drain all water from it, and then screw the ends together to keep dust/bugs, etc., out.

Our MH has separate compartments for water hookups and holding tanks. I do like you and drain and screw the ends together on fresh water hoses. When we had other units I had a plastic container that I kept all fresh water equipment in and stored in another compartment.

Common sense says to keep potable water and sewer connections separated as best you can. I know a lot of people get pretty fastidious, but we just keep them in separate compartments. I am not doing surgery so I don't get too wound up with it.

I would not carry potable water hoses in the compartment where the blank tank drains for the obvious reasons. The tank flushing hose is not stored with the potable water hose in my rig, but there's no harm carrying it in the water compartment with the drains.

We full time so the storage issue is not so critical for us as the hoses are always in use except while moving.

This is probably a lot like the toilet paper argument - you'll get more than several responses. Pick the one that makes you feel comfortable about your sanitary conditions. If you are relatively careful with your connections and your dump habits, it should not be a serious issue.

I store my white hose in a separate compartment, but unfortunately the city water connection is in the compartment with the drains so I have to be more careful than maybe I would be otherwise.

My black and grey water valves are in a different compartment about 8-10 feet away.  I am wondering about just storing the white hose and hose used to flush the black tank in the water compartment.  The water compartment holds the fresh water inlet, the black tank flushing inlet, and the water filter canister.  So if there were danger of contamination, I would think that danger would exist while is use and parked for an extended time as much as if it were in storage.  I am a new RV and looking for recommendations and to learn for you folks who have years of experience.

I store the white hose in a container, but not in the same compartment as the stinky slinky and flush hose.

I keep a plastic container just for fresh water things, like hoses, washers, filters etc.  They never come in contact with anything else.

I guess we aren't fastidious at all. The potable hoses hang on a hook in the water bay and the waste hoses lie in the bottom. I do connect the hose ends together, though. I also keep a bleach solution in a spray bottle to spritz the city inlet, waste connection area, etc.

jlazar said:
My black and grey water valves are in a different compartment about 8-10 feet away.  I am wondering about just storing the white hose and hose used to flush the black tank in the water compartment.  The water compartment holds the fresh water inlet, the black tank flushing inlet, and the water filter canister.  So if there were danger of contamination, I would think that danger would exist while is use and parked for an extended time as much as if it were in storage.  I am a new RV and looking for recommendations and to learn for you folks who have years of experience.

My potable water hose is on a automatic reel away from sewer connections so no worries about storing that. I do keep a cap screwed onto the end when not in use.

I store a gray color hose in with my sewer hoses as there are a couple places we go that allow gray water dumping at the receptical on site. They don't allow 3" hoses as someone could pull the wrong valve and dump waste into the gray water drain.  I use gray because that is what they had at the store, not because I use it for gray water. This hose can be used for flushing if I ever get the desire to flush the black tank. Normally I just allow some gray water to backflush into the black tank to flush out anything left behind after dumping with the 3" hose but that is another topic: IMO, too much time is spent cleaning the black tank. It is not like you are going to put something different in it next time  :-X  .

As Gary does, we keep a bleach solution in a spray bottle for sanitizing city inlets, etc.

We pretty much do what Gary said, except the hoses are coiled into separate, large plastic bins. We use the bleach spray, but don't always remember to replenish regularly, as bleach loses strength over time.

My potable water hoses go in a special purpose tote.  My sewer hose fittings go in another special purpose tote.  My sewer hoses go in carriers outside attached to the frame.

My hoses stay connected to the water and tank flush connections. They are y'ed at the post with individual cutoffs. When disconnected, the open end is closed and at one end of the wet bay.
The black hose is disconnected and stored at the opposite end of the wet bay. Everything gets spritzed with disinfectant before connection.
Guess I'm really careless, but no problems in the past 50k miles.

Ernie

Soap and water are marvelous cleaning agents. A little bleach and water is really good. I seldom bleach my hands yet they get in some really, uhm, uh, unsanitary conditions at times. Not on purpose of course, but accidents happen sometimes. (I'll admit to not wearing gloves when I use the #2 potty, if you know what I mean)

There was a time long long ago in a place far far away that I used to take up toilets and replace wax seals without even thinking about rubber gloves. While I do use gloves for routine hookup and take down of the stinky slinky, and it does live in it's own plastic storage bin, the potable water hose is in the same compartment, with it's ends screwed together. it's just not that big of a hazard in my eyes.

It all depends on your level of comfort with washing your hands and not putting your hands where they shouldn't be when they're dirty.

And there are other things I do which wouldn't come close to passing some of the sanitary regulations some of you claim to adhere to. 66, 67, 68.......

Ken

2 plastic tubs with lids.  One for fresh water accessories.  The other for the stinky hose, adapters and such.  Keep a little spray bottle of quat santizer in the fresh water accessories.  Fresh water hoses ends connect to each other and lay in bottom of bay, because they won't fit in the tub. 

My city water connection was in the same compartment as the black tank dumps on my old RV, so hooking up I had no choice.  But I did store them separately when driving.

Best white hose storage device (and I got the idea from someone on this forum of course ;)) is a plastic "wreath container" (see here for an example and another photo below) that can be found in any big box store around the Christmas season.  Bought mine just after the holidays a few years ago, clearanced at $8 or so.

I stored all my fresh water stuff in it (10' hose, 30' hose, PSI valve, and fill valve attachment) and slid it right into the compartment without worrying about water leaking.

Attachments

• wreath-case.jpg
    wreath-case.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 26
Our coach came with a hose rewind reel in the wet bay that keeps the end of the hose on the far end of the bay. Like others I am not the most fastidious but we have never had a problem over 35 years of RVing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FmStars
Back
Top Bottom