Who Can Pass this Test? What Is the Make and Model of this Toad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Karl said:
Not meaning to cast aspersions on Porsche or BMW drivers but.....  Bernie, are you listening?  ;D ;D

Karl

Never had to use the tow hook on my car. IIRC, it is now mandatory to have the tow hook installed when running Drivers' Education. I did see many drivers at Road America, as well as other tracks, that needed to use the tow hooks to get them out of the trouble they (not the car) got into. ;)

Karl said, "Ray D,
I know this post is a little dated, but those "tow hooks" already installed are not tow hooks at all, but tiedowns for transportation use only."

HUH??  ???

Learn something every day! I believe it, but it's a big surprise. So, why do they indent the bumper, fore and aft, leading to the "tie downs?" Makes it look like a tow connection!

Ray D  :-\

The Tow hooks found on American brand Cars such as GM, Jeep, and Ford are indeed TOW hooks installed for the purpose of towing.  All of our Jeeps have had them when bought but on the GC we removed them to install the Base Plate that usually bolts through the same hole the tow hooks were.

The toad, as mentioned above, is a Suzuki, XL-7, 2003. Pretty much delighted with it, so far. (Comfortable, dependable, etc.) But, haven't driven it all that much. (Winter, etc.) Most of driving has been short trips, in town - 3 to 4 miles per trip on city streets. (Grocery store - doctor - etc.) Had it up to highway speed, maybe twice - for two miles each time. 7 gas refills, so far. Getting 14.5 to 15 mpg! I really had hoped for better than that! 

I would have expected better mileage than that on the XL-7.  We get 15 - 17MPG city  and  19 - 22MPG highway on the GC and they have weighed in at over 4000 lbs.  Don't get even 14 MPG when off roading though usually.

The mileage mentiond

The Tow hooks found on American brand Cars such as GM, Jeep, and Ford are indeed TOW hooks installed for the purpose of towing.
Well Ron, we've tried using them to pull cars out of gravel traps and/or return them to their paddock space after a mechanical failure, and around 50% of the time they flat out break. If you want to have your car towed with them, that's your choice - not mine.

Ray, Have you considered placing the scooters opposing? In other words, back the first one in and drive the other in. This is assuming that the scooters are 3-wheelers. that would narrow the required space.
Pete

Things do break.  While being towed out of a snow drift in ND the guy had a Blazer and we were using nylon rope.  He gave it a jerk and the tow hook come flying back my direction.  Tow hook didn't break a piece of the frame did where the tow hook was connected.  I have used tow hooks on Jeeps and Dodge trucks many times with no problems.  But you are correct most about the tow hooks on import vehicles they are just for anchoring the vehicle during shipment.

regularguy:

Yep. I thought of that. The three wheeler is actually an inch narrower as well as tapered!  ;D I thought of it after I bought a three wheeler for my wife and a four wheeler for me.  ::)

I spent $200 extra to avoid that solution!  :-\  ::)

Even with just one three wheeler, it almost works - or just barely doesn't - depending upon my attitude at the moment!  :(

Ray D  ;D

RAY D.

Your gas mileage around town, in cold weather, is about right.  The Suzuki you have has very short gears and a low "rear end" gear. The Japanese have made the most of a relatively low horsepower/low torque automobile.

Have you noticed that you are in fourth gear by 30 mph? The gears and final drive gear give your car a lot of "oomph" from a standing start. The downside is low gas mileage when considering how small the engine is.

When I bought my 06 Grand Vitari it had Blue Ox base plates mounted through the grill. At the time of installation some parts were removed to mount them. I don't know about your model.

I remove the projecting connector each time the car is disconnected from the motor home. It's a simple half turn and pull out, reverse to install.  When removed the base plates are not easily noticed, practically invisible. 

At Quartzsite I went to the Roadmaster concession and purchased the Sterling all terrain tow bar for $500.00 CASH. That included installation to the Blue Ox base plates. Very satisfied.

So you now know my purchase price (and they still made a profit), get out there and haggle.

29er

29er: 10-4! And thanks!

That helps!

I mentioned prices on a couple of threads. Those were all inclusive, package prices, including installation. However, they include the price of each part in the interior of the ad. I'll do some looking at that.

The package includes the tow bars, base plate, removeable "virtually invisible" brackets, all electrical components with plugs and sockets for both vehicles and electrical cable, two safety cables, three padlocks, vinal storage bag and tow bar cover, all installed. I'll have to see the breakdown to know what I'm paying for any individual part.

The dealer and I have discussed those prices, several times. He's willing to negotiate down from the "already discounted" advertised price. Don't know how far, but I never pay retail for anything there. I never pay the "special" prices, either. I get those discounted. And, so far, he's got everyone else beat by quite a bit.

Well, I do pay retail for labor. Haven't been able to get them to budge on that!

If I can't make myself happy with their package, then I have to go another way. We'll see.

Ray D  ;D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom