Who carries your RV insurance?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DeckArtist

Mine will not be moving at all once I get it next door. Any suggestions for insurance would be appreciated. Not sure how the value will be assigned either since this one isn't remodeled yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could you get a ruling from your homeowner's that it's a "detached structure" with coverage only when immobile on your property? Otherwise I have Safeco and am satisfied after a claim or two.

Don't have homeowner's insurance cause I don't own the home I am in, neither do the folks who sold it to me on an owner finance deal, hence the RV becoming my home for a couple of years after I get it remodeled.

You need to discuss the situation with a good insurance agent who has at least some understanding of RVs and park models. If you find a good one they should be able to connect you with an underwriter that writes agreed value insurance. The item is guaranteed to be insured for that fixed amount in the event of a claim.

The insured value will be the book value of the year & model (based on age depreciation) unless you get what is called an "agreed value" policy. You establish a value with some sort of estimate and the insurer quotes a price for that valuation. May be difficult to find an insurer to do that, especially if an older model or heavily modified.

Are you looking for insurance on the RV vehicle alone? And is it a trailer or a motorhome? Do you also need liability insurance for the property it sits on, which apparently is also yours?

Yes, just for the RV. It will not be towed around, it will sit next door as my temporary home for a couple of years. It's a bumper pull 37' travel trailer in deer lease neglected condition, but once I get finished with it it will be much nicer.

When i was traveling i used Geico to cover the RV and Truck. Now that i am no longer traveling and live in one place full time on my own land, i have to use Foremost (through geico) to cover the RV and property damage. It will not cover me if i take the RV on the road. However, my truck insurance may cover me in that case if the 5vr RV is attached to the truck.

Are you wanting insurance for the actual trailer in the event of a fire or a tornado destroys you get some money back? Or are you wanting insurance to cover your personal effects in the event of destruction or theft? Or both?

Considering you are actually living on someone else's property, you might look into "renters" insurance. It protects your personal property while living in someone else's domicile. (like an apartment or a rented home). This way, your personal effects are protected. "Renters" insurance might also be extended to cover the RV also. It all depends upon the insurance. Any way you go, you need to start with a good insurance company that insures both physical buildings, automobiles, and RV. It might not be the cheapest, but check with AllState. The most that will happen is, they'll tell you they can't help you. And if they can, you still have the option to take or not take what they offer and if you are willing or not willing to pay the price. Regardless, start checking with different insurance companies in your area. That's what you really need to do.

The insured value will be the book value of the year & model (based on age depreciation) unless you get what is called an "agreed value" policy. You establish a value with some sort of estimate and the insurer quotes a price for that valuation. May be difficult to find an insurer to do that, especially if an older model or heavily modified.

Are you looking for insurance on the RV vehicle alone? And is it a trailer or a motorhome? Do you also need liability insurance for the property it sits on, which apparently is also yours?
An interesting side note is coverage of contents, for an RV it is a separate policy. My contents are covered by my homeowners policy, not Progressive MH ins.

Parking permanent on personal property, no doubt, will have different insurance requirements. But just for your enlightment, considering you are relatively new to RV ownership, here's a breakdown of what insurance is normally needed for a new unit (a towed trailer, not a drivable motor home). And if getting a loan on the unit, the lending institution will require insurance also. Here's a breakdown:

When a trailer is hitched to the tow vehicle, the tow vehicle's insurance covers the trailer if the rig is involved in an accident, same as the tow vehicle alone. However, it does not necessarily pay for replacing the RV if it is damaged. It may, it may not, that depends upon the policy. It does cover if the trailer backs into another vehicle and causes damage to the other vehicle.

Second, there is actual RV insurance. This covers everything when the RV is not hitched to the tow vehicle. It covers things like fire, theft, vandalism, hail damage, a tree falling on it, or flooding type of stuff.

Third, there is your personal property insurance. In other words, if you could take the camper and turn it upside down and shake it, everything that would fall out is considered personal property. Personal property insurance is usually covered with a home owners police, as the camper is considered an extension of your home. So, if you had a lap top computer stolen from your camper, it's the same as if you had a laptop stolen from your stick-n-brick house.

Fourth, there is liability insurance in the event someone were to slip and fall (say, inside your camper) or even at your campsite, say .... if they tripped over your garden hose. These are type of things that "could" happen that the campground is not responsible for. You cannot be held liable if there is a hole on your campsite and someone walks into it and breaks there ankle. It was the campgrounds responsibility for the hole to start with. However, if they tripped over a garden hose at night because it was stretched in an unreasonable manner across your site (like a booby trap), then your home owner's insurance would cover that. The same is true for dog bites also (which actually happened to my parents when I was kid, our dog bit a little girl while camping).

Last, if you carry weapons (guns) you may need special insurances to cover those types of specialty items or items that may need extra insurance, like jewelry, specialized photo equipment, high tech electronics, or something like that because more than likely, personal property insurance will have a ceiling cap on how much everything will be insured for. That ceiling cap may be $100,000 or it could be $25,000.

For total protection of your RV and your RV lifestyle, these are the insurances you'll need, if that be some, or all, or a pick-n-choose flavor. It's your call.

Of course, depending on the age of your camper, it simply might not be insurable at all. And remember, all of these insurances will have a deductible. If the deductible is higher than the value of the camper, then there is no need to have it insured. But you will probably want insurance for some of these other things.... like personal property.

Parking permanent on personal property, no doubt, will have different insurance requirements. But just for your enlightment, considering you are relatively new to RV ownership, here's a breakdown of what insurance is normally needed for a new unit (a towed trailer, not a drivable motor home). And if getting a loan on the unit, the lending institution will require insurance also. Here's a breakdown:

When a trailer is hitched to the tow vehicle, the tow vehicle's insurance covers the trailer if the rig is involved in an accident, same as the tow vehicle alone. However, it does not necessarily pay for replacing the RV if it is damaged. It may, it may not, that depends upon the policy. It does cover if the trailer backs into another vehicle and causes damage to the other vehicle.

Second, there is actual RV insurance. This covers everything when the RV is not hitched to the tow vehicle. It covers things like fire, theft, vandalism, hail damage, a tree falling on it, or flooding type of stuff.

Third, there is your personal property insurance. In other words, if you could take the camper and turn it upside down and shake it, everything that would fall out is considered personal property. Personal property insurance is usually covered with a home owners police, as the camper is considered an extension of your home. So, if you had a lap top computer stolen from your camper, it's the same as if you had a laptop stolen from your stick-n-brick house.

Fourth, there is liability insurance in the event someone were to slip and fall (say, inside your camper) or even at your campsite, say .... if they tripped over your garden hose. These are type of things that "could" happen that the campground is not responsible for. You cannot be held liable if there is a hole on your campsite and someone walks into it and breaks there ankle. It was the campgrounds responsibility for the hole to start with. However, if they tripped over a garden hose at night because it was stretched in an unreasonable manner across your site (like a booby trap), then your home owner's insurance would cover that. The same is true for dog bites also (which actually happened to my parents when I was kid, our dog bit a little girl while camping).

Last, if you carry weapons (guns) you may need special insurances to cover those types of specialty items or items that may need extra insurance, like jewelry, specialized photo equipment, high tech electronics, or something like that because more than likely, personal property insurance will have a ceiling cap on how much everything will be insured for. That ceiling cap may be $100,000 or it could be $25,000.

For total protection of your RV and your RV lifestyle, these are the insurances you'll need, if that be some, or all, or a pick-n-choose flavor. It's your call.

Of course, depending on the age of your camper, it simply might not be insurable at all. And remember, all of these insurances will have a deductible. If the deductible is higher than the value of the camper, then there is no need to have it insured. But you will probably want insurance for some of these other things.... like personal property.
My trailer is covered by my auto policy. However, I had to contact the insurance company and have them add it to the policy. It did increase my rate, but not by much.

If I were you I'd go online and get a few quotes if that's possible. Then check very carefully what is covered and the excess.

Tou may find that the cost of the insurance is higher than what you are insuring.

I'm not advocating no insurance but if you're not on the road then your risks may be much lower.

Do you have a place to store any expensive goods? Might be cheaper.

Just a few random thoughts.

We use National General via Good Sam.

As an example our 30ft trailer costs $1000 a year for insurance with $500 deductible. $3000 Personal contents.

Lots to explore on this one. Will start with my insurance company for the truck, tractor and 4 wheeler. I insure all three for about $1400 year.
As far as value, the blue book will be more than I will have in it. Until I move my stuff in of course.

Mine will not be moving at all once I get it next door. Any suggestions for insurance would be appreciated. Not sure how the value will be assigned either since this one isn't remodeled yet.
This is a timely topic for myself and DH. We just bought a a newer 5th wheel and still have the old 5th wheel. We have National General (Good Sam) and the premium for both rigs is outrageous. Hopefully we'll sell the older 5th wheel by May.

Looking for suggestions. The topic brought our attention to the subject of RV insurance. What do we have covered and what's the cost.

For Max’s sake and others who don’t live in their rig full time, we do not full-time, and we have a house with homeowner’s insurance. Our motorhome, like the trailers had had before, is covered under a regular motorist insurance. The contents are under our home owner’s insurance. In our case, we get a significant discount by keeping all our policies with one company, so the cars, house, motorhome, plus an umbrella policy are all held by State Farm. However the OP needs full-timer’s insurance because there isn’t an overriding home owner’s insurance covering the contents of his RV. And Jackie is right that you should look carefully about what is covered. It might be the cost for a much older rig would be prohibitive. But I would still say you need some kind of insurance to protect you from liability claims if someone gets injured while helping you work on the rig or house. A good agent can help.

That's understandable, especially since it's not remodeled yet and you're not sure about its value. Have you considered reaching out to The Finity Group for help? They specialize in comprehensive financial solutions and might be able to guide you in the right direction. They could assist in evaluating the property and finding the best insurance coverage to fit your specific needs. It's always better to be safe than sorry, so don't hesitate to reach out to them for advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
All our vehicles were with State Farm for many years. A few years ago I moved them to Farmers, but they put the coach with Foremost, a Farmers subsidiary. When we bought the 5W I went with Farmers/Foremost again.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSRTECH
Back
Top Bottom