Who knows New York?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TonyL

We are not city people, but when we return in May we wanted to do the tourist bit in New York. We have booked for three nights there and want to see The Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, The 9/11 Memorial and the Empire State building. We have looked at various sightseeing passes but to be honest, picking the right one is harder than planning a 6 month trip!!
Does anyone have any recent valid experience in New York and can advise the most cost effective way to do it. We will be staying not far from the "PATH" in New Jersey. We will then want to arrange ground transfer to Penn station to catch an Amtrak, will a Taxi require a second mortgage?

I wrote my bachelor's in NYC and have rarely been back there since. The one you are describing would be Liberty Harbor Marine and RV Park. Yes, I am told it is walking distance to the Path. Rather than a NYC taxi, to wait in traffic all day. I suggest that you look up the subway charts (maps) and study them diligently. A taxi might be the best way in a very few cases. Did you ever watch the show called "Cash Cab".....
You will have to look up the schedules for both SOL and Elis. I am afraid that I was last there on purpose more than 10 years ago so my capability as a native guide will not be very reliable.
Matt - The refugee from the Megopolis.

I should perhaps clarify that we will not have the fifth wheel in NY, we are staying in a hotel for a few nights.

Went into NYC last summer to see the 9-11 Memorial. Trip to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island was too long ago to be of use, but be sure to get your tickets early as they do sell out. It is pretty easy walk from Battery Park (Ferry to Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island) to the 9-11 Memorial. Subway worked well for the other sites and isn't too hard to figure out. Police Officers walking their beats are a great source of subway info if you get confused. Big decline on overall cleanliness compared to previous visits, but never felt uncomfortable on the subway or walking. The Memorial is well worth the visit.

That is down right sacrilegious.:oops: Have fun.
Well it made more sense flying into NY then traveling down to Virginia where everything is hopefully still stored, than towing it all the way back up.
See, sometimes us mad Brits do have the occasional good idea 😆

I've only been on Manhattan Island one time, and that was to visit the aircraft carrier Intrepid. If you have the time, it is worth the visit. It was moved temporarily to Bayonne NJ several years ago for hull repairs and repaint, but is now back in place.

Aircraft Carrier Intrepid

I'm sure there are lots of things to seen and do in NYC but I don't have any reason to visit really don't care to.

Charles

We are not city people, but when we return in May we wanted to do the tourist bit in New York. We have booked for three nights there and want to see The Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, The 9/11 Memorial and the Empire State building. We have looked at various sightseeing passes but to be honest, picking the right one is harder than planning a 6 month trip!!
Does anyone have any recent valid experience in New York and can advise the most cost effective way to do it. We will be staying not far from the "PATH" in New Jersey. We will then want to arrange ground transfer to Penn station to catch an Amtrak, will a Taxi require a second mortgage?
You can take the PATH to 33rd st in New York and then transfer to subway which will take you right to Penn Station.
Can't help you with site seeing passes as we do things ala carte.
If you have time take the Staten Island Ferry for really great photo opps of Statue of Liberty. Ferry is free. At Staten Island end get off ferry and then walk around to get right back on ferry for a return trip.
Observation deck on Empire state building s open till real late so evening for sunset can be really nice

I was stationed at Fort Monmouth, NJ when I was in AIT in the Army (1982). One week-end a group of us "trainee's" took a bus to NY City. Got off at the bus station, stepped outside the door on to the street and thought I'd entered a WW2 battle zone. That was 1982! I can't imagine what it's like now with all the political changes that have occurred! I have no desire to ever go back.... and that was 1982!

We live in Delaware so we’ve been to NYC several times. I did haul the 5th wheel to the marina once for friends to stay in. It was pretty tight. We drive to Princeton Junction and take the train into Grand Central we usually stay somewhere in Times Square. Haven’t been to the Empire State bld or Statue of Liberty but have seen the SOL from the ferry. Went to Katz’s Deli and had a huge sandwich. We usually see a show. If you go to Times Square do not get your photo taken with the someone dressed in character; they will demand payment. Do some research on restaurants and try to eat where the locals eat. We did stay in NJ once and our hotel had a service that took us to the train station. It cost just a couple of dollars for a ticket to NYC. Be sure and eat some bagels while there. Supposed to be the best.

I used to fly in to NYC area for work. I'd fly into Newark, stay at a hotel near Newark Airport, or Jersey City, and take the train into Penn station.

And, yes, learning a bit about the Subway will save you a lot of cab fare.
Manhattan is easy to get around on foot. and you can take the subway up and down the island (North-South) and walk across (East-West).
Take the double decker bus tour. It will help you orient yourselves before getting out and exploring.

Last edited:
Just be cognizant of NYC 's "catch and release" law enforcement policy. One of the more famous examples was the 30 year old woman who broke into Robert DeNiro's Manhattan apartment. She had been arrested 26 times and was still out on the street

Just be cognizant of NYC 's "catch and release" law enforcement policy. One of the more famous examples was the 30 year old woman who broke into Robert DeNiro's Manhattan apartment. She had been arrested 26 times and was still out on the street
And beware while in subways. People are being beat up and robed in clear view in the daytime and people are being pushed onto the tracks and in the path of oncoming trains

And beware while in subways. People are being beat up and robed in clear view in the daytime and people are being pushed onto the tracks and in the path of oncoming trains
We’ve been to NYC many times and have friends that have been there many times. We haven’t had any problems. There’s no where in the world you can visit where somebody hasn’t been robbed, beaten up or murdered. We’ve strolled through London, Paris, Rome, Naples, Instanbul, St Louis, Chicago, San Antonio and many more. No problems. What makes the US dangerous are guns. But then again we have never been threatened with a gun and we have never owned a gun.

We've never been on an Amtrak so have decided to book from Penn station to Richmond VA instead of flying or driving just for the experience. For the price of the tickets ($58 total) compared to UK train travel, it will be an interesting experience. We will of course update on the experience when it happens.

We’ve been to NYC many times and have friends that have been there many times. We haven’t had any problems. There’s no where in the world you can visit where somebody hasn’t been robbed, beaten up or murdered. We’ve strolled through London, Paris, Rome, Naples, Instanbul, St Louis, Chicago, San Antonio and many more. No problems. What makes the US dangerous are guns. But then again we have never been threatened with a gun and we have never owned a gun.
I’m only relying what I see on the news nearly every day about NYC. Crime is running rampart
Gat, I started writing a reply to your post but decided not to. It would not have been appropriate in this forum. Have a nice day.

Amen You can email me for info as I go 2-3 times per year. Going this spring to see Phantom of the OPera as it is closing soon. I usually stay in New Jersey. If you are in Jersey City the PATH is really convenient. Don't worry about what others say we have nevern had a problem in NYC but then again I do not go into dangerous neighborhoods at night.

Last edited:
My in-laws used to maintain a place at The Manhattan Club on W56th. Time share thing. Used to get to NYC every once in a while. Always wanted to get on Cash Cab but never did. My BIL and his wife were on it and bombed miserably.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom