Who knows New York?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I’m only relying what I see on the news nearly every day about NYC. Crime is running rampart
Not even close. There's facts then there's hyperbole. Which do you think news organizations like to show you?

10 Most Dangerous Cities in America 2023​

1. Memphis, Tennessee
  2. St. Louis, Missouri
  3. Oakland, California
  4. Albuquerque, New Mexico
  5. Baltimore, Maryland
  6. New Orleans, Louisiana
  7. Detroit, Michigan
  8. Lubbock, Texas
  9. Chicago, Illinois
  10. Stockton, California

While not a fan of NYC, I would like to go back at some point, mainly to pay respects to the 9/11 memorial. If you want to take in a play check out TCKTS, they sell unsold tix to plays that day. Saves a lot of money if you want the theater experience. My last time to NYC was early 80's. Walked around at night, did not feel threatened, but had eyes on everything.

Not even close. There's facts then there's hyperbole. Which do you think news organizations like to show you?

10 Most Dangerous Cities in America 2023​

1. Memphis, Tennessee
  2. St. Louis, Missouri
  3. Oakland, California
  4. Albuquerque, New Mexico
  5. Baltimore, Maryland
  6. New Orleans, Louisiana
  7. Detroit, Michigan
  8. Lubbock, Texas
  9. Chicago, Illinois
  10. Stockton, California

What's the source on this? And since its only Feb of '23 how can they predict what will be the most dangerous cities? Be interesting to see who/how this list was compiled.

Guys (and gals) please, I'm not wanting to start a debate about which is the most dangerous city, that's not what I'm after. I know I said we're not city folk but I have spent a lot of my working life in cities around Europe and am well aware that danger can present itself at anytime, anywhere.
We don't intend traveling late at night, pickpockets work anywhere, London has knife crime daily.
Thank you.

I Have visited the city many times, from NJ. In the early days mainly to visit Mcsorley's pub.. or Hung Fats resteraunt in China town, Later on to experience broadway shows and the last time to visit rockafeller center to see the christmas tree and visit a great steak house... The metropolitan museum is nothing short of spectacular.. Have never had a problem using the subway, path or train.. It helps to travel in a group and just be mindful of what's going on around you... Every visit to the City was a memorable adventure for me... I do hope it works out as well for you...
safe travels and all the best

Guys (and gals) please, I'm not wanting to start a debate about which is the most dangerous city, that's not what I'm after. I know I said we're not city folk but I have spent a lot of my working life in cities around Europe and am well aware that danger can present itself at anytime, anywhere.
We don't intend traveling late at night, pickpockets work anywhere, London has knife crime daily.
Thank you.
Tony, you just need to determine the tourist value v the risk. At this time, I would avoid NYC. But we're eagerly awaiting your NYC report.

We've never been on an Amtrak so have decided to book from Penn station to Richmond VA instead of flying or driving just for the experience. For the price of the tickets ($58 total) compared to UK train travel, it will be an interesting experience. We will of course update on the experience when it happens.
I have taken Amtrak from NYC to DC many times using the regional service never Acela. Scenic ride enjoy it. Which hotel are you booked into in jersey city?
The courtyard is nice, Candlewood OK never stayed at the other choices
If you have time go to the TKTS center in Times Square sometimes you can score great Broadway tickets for 1/2 price or less.
. St Patricks Cathedral is worth a stop in as you walk up fifth avenue and see some of the upscale shops like Tiffanies, Bergdorf Goodman, Louis Vuitton, Gucci, Armani, Chanel etc
China Town on Canal ST is interesting with the whole ducks and pot belly pigs cooking in the windows, many exotic fruit markets including those selling Durian.
Empire State Building is about 5 blocks from Macy's
Enjoy enjoy.
I am planning a June trip

Last edited:
I've been there several times but only once for sightseeing. We stayed in New Brunswick and took the train to NYC. The subway got us close to everywhere we wanted to go but we also walked a whole lot. We hit Manhattan, Ellis Island, Carnegie Hall, Central Park, The Stock Exchange, Rockefeller Center, a famous Deli, the 911 memorial and probably a bunch of things I've forgotten. All that in one day!

Other times there I was too busy working. I did manage to go to the Hooters in Manhattan once, I wouldn't recommend it. I took my tech team there because it was a tradition.

On one of our visits to NYC we had dinner at The Russian Tea Room my wife had a Groupon. The meal was delicious. Another time we were staying at a hotel in Times Square. My wife got hungry about 10pm. I looked out the window and saw a Falafel food truck on the street below. Went down a got several. They were great.

I've been there several times but only once for sightseeing. We stayed in New Brunswick and took the train to NYC. The subway got us close to everywhere we wanted to go but we also walked a whole lot. We hit Manhattan, Ellis Island, Carnegie Hall, Central Park, The Stock Exchange, Rockefeller Center, a famous Deli, the 911 memorial and probably a bunch of things I've forgotten. All that in one day!

Other times there I was too busy working. I did manage to go to the Hooters in Manhattan once, I wouldn't recommend it. I took my tech team there because it was a tradition.
Hooters closed permanently

Some of you folks reminded me of the movie "On the Town" with Frank Sinatra.Frank is trying to see NY using an old outdated guide book and most of the guidance is wrong. Really advice 50 years old is not good advice. Telling people to avoid places you have never been is not advice it's prejudice.

Reactions: RRR
I was stationed at Fort Monmouth, NJ when I was in AIT in the Army (1982). One week-end a group of us "trainee's" took a bus to NY City. Got off at the bus station, stepped outside the door on to the street and thought I'd entered a WW2 battle zone. That was 1982! I can't imagine what it's like now with all the political changes that have occurred! I have no desire to ever go back.... and that was 1982!
Interesting, back in the 1980's New York was a gritty pig stye. Was cleaned up in the 90's and has remained pretty delightful to visit ever since. But what the heck, to each his own.

The little Odessa section near Coney Island reachable by subway has interesting shops and good restaurants as well as Street food. Sometimes you can't talk to the clerks because of the language barrier. Just point at what looks good to you. Chelsea flea markets can be fun on a Sunday morning. Remember you can store luggage at Penn station if you have a train ticket ($) The Slipper Room has old time Burlesque (a little risque) but still has comedians singers etc

Back
Top Bottom