why does my rv have 2 grey tanks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mine has two. One for the kitchen sink and the other for the bathroom sink and shower. Designers know that we will create more gray water than black water so they designed more storage space hence two gray tanks.

i Suspect that having 2 smaller tanks because there is not room for a large one and they can locate these in different areas

My Rig had three tanks ads well. Black Gray and Wash (Gray 2)
The front tanks serviced both toilets. The "Sea Land" type gravity in the front and the macerator type in the back which had the "Oomph" to pump the waste to the front tank and then some.
The Gray (Kitchen sink, half bath lav) Which collects food particles from the kitchen sink.
And the "Wash" (Gray 2) Shower and full bath lavs only.

NOTE: about dumping on the ground.
Different rules for different tanks
Black: never, only in a proper sewer
Gray... NOt often
Wash. not everywhere but more often.

I had two grey tanks in my 1999 Arctic Fox trailer. One up front near the kitchen, the other in back near the bathroom sink and shower.

Both grey tanks and the black tank used a single waste outlet so I only had to connect one sewer hose.

However, the front tank had it's own shutoff drain valve. If the two tanks remained connected together, the contents would slosh back and forth while driving. Before I discovered the third valve I'd sometimes find grey tank residue in the tub after arriving at a campsite as the front tank drained into the rear tank and made it overflow into the tub.

Back
Top Bottom