Why? Just Why?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Where I live HOA rules preclude keeping any RVs at home; Pearl Constance is stored at a ‘secured’ UHaul lot in Tucson. I swing by most weeks, but in the spring my garden carries the most distractions until it is fully in, so it has been about two weeks since I visited.

I am nearly done with the garden so I have been prepping Pearl Constance for travel. Since I did not visit for two weeks I am not sure exactly when it happened, but when I went to visit yesterday I found that the door had been pried open.

The damage is only to the door and frame. But they got in.

This is where my questions start:
Someone really wanted in; see pics. They were/are lousy at getting into campers without keys! (see pics) and once in they tracked mud throughout. (this gives me a good idea of when as storms with that much mud are not all that common in Tucson).

Every cupboard had been opened, stuff was strewn everywhere. I had been in the middle of a wardrobe modification so the table is in bed mode and was covered in junk that I was working on. This stuff was moved about, the bunk is open and laid out (when in garrison I use it for another flat surface so it is open with things that would normally be stowed casually tossed about; now roughly abused).

I have things I have not yet used; air fryer, portable pedal washer, an on the go crock pot still in original boxes. These boxes were opened, nothing removed. The mattress was looked under as I found one of my sports shoes jammed under the mattress. The fridge got cleaned out; they took out the 5 empty glass food storage containers I keep in there when not in use. They stacked four of them neatly, the other was found under the table on the floor. They started to remove items from the over the sink kitchen storage, but stopped.

Nothing is broken, I cannot find anything missing. I didn’t have much in there but toilet paper, pots, pans, flatware and the like. I had two prepackaged ramen cups, neither were touched. Bottles of water left alone. Guessing they had a specific target in mind. I also had 5-8 very expensive Japanese knives in a case; not touched. In the pics you can see the very pricy tie downs; not touched.

I thought maybe looking for things to sell, but the TV, back up camera, all the attached gear (TV, microwave) the propane tank are all still fine. No one got on the ladder or roof (heavy dust no tracks), or maybe they were looking for a place to hang for the night in bad weather, but no evidence they were there long at all. The way it is set up and the mess in there, no place to rest or sit at all.

The camper gets a trickle charge from 0200 to 0400 to keep the battery alive, but that is it. Mine is the only RV in the entire lot touched; most of the others are class A or very long trailers (I am the only truck camper). I thought maybe the lights on in the middle of the night may have attracted someone, or maybe they left when the power went out? Most of the others do not use the power offered, did this attract them?

I would love to hear theories on why. I also am looking for lessons learned in repair jobs on campers and camper doors in particular. I also am interested in hearing about what you do to protect from this type of invasion. I had left some paperwork in Pearl Constance and now I worry (they would have to be pretty on the ball crooks) that if the camper moves these people will know my house is empty, but I live close to 30 minutes away so fingers crossed they are not that energetic.

Both Pearl Constance and Fifi (Pearl Constance de la Shell is the camper, Fifi is the truck) are both brand new (’24). Fifi was not touched. They only attacked Pearl Constance. Why?

I will also thank RV Life for informing me late last year when I first put Pearl Constance away for the season that keeping outside gear cabinets unlocked would reduce the chance of damage should someone want in; they did go through the things in those outside cabinets, which were unlocked thankfully, but they chose to not steal the outdoor charcoal grill, solar bug traps or the home made candles.

Attachments

• Camper Damage 6.JPG
    Camper Damage 6.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 21
  • Camper Damage 5.JPG
    Camper Damage 5.JPG
    110.1 KB · Views: 21
  • Camper Damage 1.JPG
    Camper Damage 1.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 20
  • Camper Damage .JPG
    Camper Damage .JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 20
Welcome to the forum.

Doesn't the facility have cameras?

Do you have insurance if brand new?

I suspect they were looking for cash.

This is why I leave the door to our coach unlocked when it is inside the storage shed with the locked roll up door, which is a quarter mile behind locked gates on the family cattle ranch with these guys patrolling around the shed when they are off duty 10 months of the year

Attachments

• 20161028_165750.jpg
    20161028_165750.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 17
Our first class A was stored at a remote storage lot for several years. The lot had a locked gate and a supposed on-site security guy. We'd swing by every Sunday (on the way home) on weekends we were boating sans RV. One Sunday I found the door unlocked, a side window smashed, and every cabinet and drawer open. The kids had got in by smashing the large side window, and exited via the door. So we didn't have a jimmied door lock.

The only thing that was 'stolen' was approx $2 in change in a container on a side table. Replacement of the window cost $xxx and a lot of my time to organize.

I'll skip the long version of the story but, when the Sheriff's deputy finally showed up, he said he'd received a number of calls to this lot. He believed that the break-ins were by kids accompanying their parent(s) who were busy working on their own rig at the same lot, and not supervising the kids.

This is why I leave the door to our coach unlocked when it is inside the storage shed with the locked roll up door, which is a quarter mile behind locked gates on the family cattle ranch with these guys patrolling around the shed when they are off duty 10 months of the year
A DEA police officer stops at a ranch in Texas, and talks with an old rancher. From the first second he had a bad attitude about him, annoyed he had to muddy his clean boots out in the country. He tells the rancher, "I need to inspect your ranch for illegally grown drugs." The rancher says, "Alright, you can search the ranch, but do not go in that field over there." The DEA officer, clearly angry, says, "Mister, I have the authority of the Federal Government with me." Reaching into his rear pants pocket, he removes his badge and proudly displays it to the rancher. "See this badge? DO you?!? This badge means I am allowed to go wherever I wish, on any land, no questions asked or answers given. Have I made myself clear? Do you understand me?!?" He shouts. The rancher nods quietly, apologizes, and goes about his chores. A short time later, the old rancher hears loud screams and sees the DEA officer running for his life chased by the rancher's big Santa Gertrudis Bull. With every step the bull is gaining ground on the officer, as he runs for all he's worth. The rancher throws down his tools, runs to the fence and yells at the top of his lungs: "Your badge... Show him your BADGE!!!"

Joke: The Sacred Badge | Police Jokes

A DEA police officer stops at a ranch in Texas, and talks with an old rancher. From the first second he had a bad attitude about him, annoyed he had to muddy his clean boots out in the country. He tells the rancher, "I need to inspect your ranch for illegally grown drugs." The rancher says, "Alright, you can search the ranch, but do not go in that field over there." The DEA officer, clearly angry, says, "Mister, I have the authority of the Federal Government with me." Reaching into his rear pants pocket, he removes his badge and proudly displays it to the rancher. "See this badge? DO you?!? This badge means I am allowed to go wherever I wish, on any land, no questions asked or answers given. Have I made myself clear? Do you understand me?!?" He shouts. The rancher nods quietly, apologizes, and goes about his chores. A short time later, the old rancher hears loud screams and sees the DEA officer running for his life chased by the rancher's big Santa Gertrudis Bull. With every step the bull is gaining ground on the officer, as he runs for all he's worth. The rancher throws down his tools, runs to the fence and yells at the top of his lungs: "Your badge... Show him your BADGE!!!"

Joke: The Sacred Badge | Police Jokes
Not sure that will help the OP, but it sure made for a much needed laugh. Thanks for sharing.

I think it was in these forums (either that or good sams grouip or IRV2 which I no longer visit)

Someone showed a video shot by a NEST camera they had in their RV. The B&E Idiot actually moved the camera.. But left it so it got a good look at his face and his smile was soon out of place for the police found it easy to trace.. The tracks of his crime.

Ok sorry I could not resist the rewrite.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
video7
Back
Top Bottom