WIFI and Hotspots

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2CampingMoms

We are just getting back to camping. We are finding it hard to get WFI at the campground so we need to get a Hotspot or any other suggestions for picking up WIFI in our camper. Last time we used the hotspot on our phones but that doesn't last long.

Thanks,
Heidi

We are just getting back to camping. We are finding it hard to get WFI at the campground so we need to get a Hotspot or any other suggestions for picking up WIFI in our camper. Last time we used the hotspot on our phones but that doesn't last long.

Thanks,
Heidi
The Search button will bring up multiple prior/recent discussions on this subject.

we need to get a Hotspot or any other suggestions for picking up WIFI in our camper.
The best answer depends on how much data you will use and how vital it is. Most cell phones have an option for unlimited data or at least for large amounts of data and can be a good option. You can also get MiFi or satellite internet. You will find that the Mobile Internet Resource Center is a good source of information about mobile data equipment and plans.

The best answer depends on how much data you will use and how vital it is. Most cell phones have an option for unlimited data or at least for large amounts of data and can be a good option. You can also get MiFi or satellite internet. You will find that the Mobile Internet Resource Center is a good source of information about mobile data equipment and plans.
Thank You!

First Hotspots: In my travels at one time I had two. T-Mobile on my phone.. Unlimited hut hotspot throttled (not that I ever noticed) after so many bytes (Low end computers can only eat so fast so I never noticed the throttle. Don't stream other than short video clips).
The other was a SPRINT and was totally unlimited (FMCA Tech Connect)
The fun part was in some places the Phone had NO SIGNAL.. So I activated wi-fi and connected to the Sprint hotspot and WOW.. The internet speed-o-meter wrapped it's graphical needle round the graphical pin as they say (Speed off scale).
IN other places.. The hotspot had no signal but the phoen was greased lightening.

Now.. Sprint and T-moblie... Merged
But the moral is a phone with unlimited internet (T-Mobile 55+ plan for me) and a hotspot also unlimited or very high limit on a DIFFERENT CARRIER.

or Star link

Thanks for good information

Heidi,
If by "It doesn't last long" you are talking about running out of data, that can be true.
If you mean the phone batteries go flat, that is a given. In hotspot mode, the phone is transmitting continuously. Just plug it in where it can sit. It doesn't have to be near you, just in range.
Matt

Your smart phones have their own internet access, so I'm guessing you have additional internet needs, e.g. a tablet, laptop, or whatever. You said a phone hotspot doesn't last long, but that's just a matter of adding a power source or more data to your plan (see Matt_C's reply). You can use a dedicated internet hotspot (often called Mifi after a product of that name) but it too needs a data plan and power to operate. You can also use an old smart phone as a dedicated hotspot if you add it to your plan. But all those things cost extra money. If you are asking about no-cost internet on the road, the only answer is to stop within range of a restaurant, store or public library that has open wifi.

T Mobile Home Internet 5G...

$50 per month and no contract
That is a decent program but ... It's not good for RVers who move about. as it seems to require a fixed location
On the other hand I have T-Mobile 55+ phone plan.. 55 dollars plus taxes and fees = 73/month and unliited 5G speeds.

StarLink is also an option for RVers.

T-Mobile Home is only available at limited locations where they have sufficient 5G infrastructure to support the load, my home base isn't one of them so I can't get it. We're probably not high on their priority list either since our local electric co-op offers an excellent wireless unlimited home plan for about the same price. I did sign up for their waiting list in case they ever improve the network enough to offer it here. That said, there have been reports on different groups that people are using it mobile.

T-Mobile Home is only available at limited locations where they have sufficient 5G infrastructure to support the load, my home base isn't one of them so I can't get it. We're probably not high on their priority list either since our local electric co-op offers an excellent wireless unlimited home plan for about the same price. I did sign up for their waiting list in case they ever improve the network enough to offer it here. That said, there have been reports on different groups that people are using it mobile.
We've used T-mobile's Home Connect for a number of years, and have taken the box along on our trips (RV and car). The old box was not going to be supported beyond the end of the year, so I upgraded to their 5G box before leaving on this trip. But chose to leave it at our CA home, and just forwarded calls to my cell phone.

Last I checked Starlink was fairly pricey. We’ve got T-Mobile 55+ too and so far it’s served us well. *knocks on wood

Visible - $30/month ($25 with PayPal) unlimited data phone plan; we've used as much as 250 GB/month. The phone is used as a hotspot connected to the Roku TV and 2 laptops via a small $30 router tethered to the phone and $14 Raspberry Pi 5W 3amp power supply to power both. So far, no complaints.

Reactions: SMR
I also have Visible and it has worked great for me. PartyPay is no longer available for new customers but is grandfathered in for existing customers. There are now two plans, the cheaper is $30/month and the other $45/month. Visible is about the only plan with truly unlimited data but they do prioritize when a tower gets heavy traffic which means that they will slow your data rate down while traffic is heavy.

Last edited:
Reactions: SMR
I also have Visible and it has worked great for me. PayPal is no longer available for new customers but is grandfathered in for existing customers. There are now two plans, the cheaper is $30/month and the other $45/month. Visible is about the only plan with truly unlimited data but they do prioritize when a tower gets heavy traffic which means that they will slow your data rate down while traffic is heavy.
Aye, Verizon prioritizes their VZW customers over their Visible customers.

Thanks,
Heidi
We stream youtube tv, netflix and amazon prime at home with wifi. On the road camping in outrailer with roku tv, i use my cell phone hotspot (we have unlimited data) and can stream all of the above almost anywhere as long as i have some cell phone signal. Got tired of waisting my time with wifi.

We also use a Visible Wireless plan for our hotspot. We use it for work, streaming, the tablet and DW will use it on her phone to save on data. She has a Verizon phone and the Visible has worked in places that the Verizon doesn't, not sure why.
We also use a cell booster antenna for some of the more remote spots we go to.

We also use a Visible Wireless plan for our hotspot. We use it for work, streaming, the tablet and DW will use it on her phone to save on data. She has a Verizon phone and the Visible has worked in places that the Verizon doesn't, not sure why.
We also use a cell booster antenna for some of the more remote spots we go to.
Which cell booster do you use and is it specific to Visible/Verizon?

Brand is Anycall purchased from Amazon
Cell Phone Booster for Home Metal Building Use | Up to 4,500 sq ft Coverage | Band 5 12 13 17 Cell Signal Booster | Boost 5G 4G LTE and GSM 3G for Verizon AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint & More | FCC Approved
I also added an omnidirectional antenna, I can switch between the two for best reception
I didn't mount the indoor antenna so I can move it around for best reception to the phone
The antennas are on a homemade mast I can raise, Lowe and move 360 degrees, 180 each way like the TV antenna.

Attachments

• mast2.jpg
    mast2.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 10
  • mast3.jpg
    mast3.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 10

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member