Wifi or cell reception anywhere at Yellowstone near Madison campground?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DKL

Geez, I hate to even ask because I think it's a long shot, but my husband insists since it may make a difference on whether I can go with the family on a planned trip to Yellowstone, or what kind of arrangements we'll need to make if I do go... And I agree with anyone who says Yellowstone is not the place to be working on your laptop. But here goes...

Has cellphone reception changed in the past two years at Yellowstone around the Madison area campground? (As in, is there any?) What about if you use a booster?

Background: I do part time contract work that allows me to work remotely, and I just picked one up that conflicts with a planned family vacation this August. But if I can find cell phone reception with a booster, which I could use for a hot spot to get internet every other day or so, maybe for an hour or two, I could stay on top of my work from one of the most beautiful places in the world! Also, we will not have a toad with us so we would need to drive the motorhome if it's beyond bicycle riding distance. :)

If anyone else has faced this situation, what did you end up doing? I wish I could move the date for the vacation but that's not an option.

I hope that made sense. Thanks very much for your kind replies.  :)

Alisa

Since I live in Yellowstone I can tell you there is no cell reception at Madison.  West Yellowstone is 14 miles west, lots of reception as well as free wifi in town.  17 miles to east/south is Old Faithful, pretty decent cell service here.  Coverage right at Canyon, West Thumb/Grant, and Mammoth. 

If you need it a lot, I would suggest staying in town. 

I know that there are areas within Yellowstone that have cell phone reception, but I am not certain that I remember them all. I am fairly certain that I had a signal at Mammoth, in the village, but not in the campground. I also had a signal in Grant Village, but again, not in the campground. There were a few more spots, but I'm afraid that I can't recall where.

The maps on this http://www.cellularmaps.com/yellowstone.shtml site may be a little optimistic, but should give you a good idea of where you might find a signal.

Joel

I'd agree with staying in West Yellowstone where there's good reception. There's even a nice Forest Service campground a bit north of town with electric hookups. When we were in YELL last summer, the cell reception was AWFUL almost everywhere, very spotty, and when we'd get it, you'd have to spin in circles to find the best spot. We stayed at Bridge Bay campground and there were lots of buffalo but NO cell reception.

Wendy

I am headed there (to Madison Campground) this summer as well and am in the same situation. I have Verizon luckily as I hear that has the best coverage. I too am in an RV with no tow vehicle and don't want to drag the family and RV with me to work for a few hours near a wi-fi location....anyhow, I am searching for options also.

I found someone used this at Madison and it worked for cell service. "Wilson flat panel directional antenna on a 16' pole and a Wilson Amplifier"
Then thus using the cell service as a hotspot. Which I have on my phone.

I also found this...http://www.jackdanmayer.com/communication.htm   

I don't understand much of it and what is applicable. 

Verizon has a jetpack, but that sounds more like a hotspot. which I already have... I need the initial cell service to then use the hot spot. Please let me know if any of this makes sense and if any of it could work for us. :)

Back
Top Bottom