Will 2 ton scissor jacks 'lift' the CT?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It would.  I have to ask, why not a 5 ton hydraulic?  Less effort for sure.  A decent hydraulic csan be bought pretty cheap at places like Harbor Freight.

A bottle-style hydraulic jack is smaller and easier to store, but doesn't have the nice flat pad on the top to make contact with the trailer axle or frame.
http://www.homedepot.com/buy/tools-hardware/jacks/2-ton-bottle-jack-t90203.html

A 5000 lb trailer will have 2000-3000 lbs on each end of the axle(s), so 1.5 tons is sufficient to lift it in the worst case. Extra capacity is better (safer).

I typically use my 3.5 ton floor jack for axle service on my trailer. But as for changing flat tires I would just drive the good tire up on a few boards and change the flat. No jack required.

I can get a 2 ton wheeled hydraulic on craigs for the same $25.00- the scissor jack looked compact and lighter.

Bottle jack looks good, but that one has a bad review, would not lift a Chevy F250?

Might go for the wheeled hydraulic, or another place for a bottle jack?

A Chevy 2500 or Ford F250 diesel likely weighs around 3.5 tons empty and could run 5-6 tons loaded, so a two ton jack is marginal at best. Would recommend at least a 4 ton jack for that vehicle.

I've wondered about this myself.  My F250 weighs 7,600 lbs with me and a load of fuel.  When we travel it weights 9,000.  I've thought about carrying a 2 ton jack but it just doesn't seem adequate.  If I'm getting under the truck or put myself in harms way, I'd rather error on the side of safety.  A few more dollars or a long stay in the hospital.  Seem like a no brainer. 

Ah, well, I like AC delcos design, and a bit of a brand name, thanks!! Never thought of a bottle jack.

My jacks don't lift the whole truck or trailer. Just one end of a axle.
I've had a old 12 ton shorty hyd truckers special since the '80 when I hauled for a living. Its less than 7" tall and has a 10" X 10" base. It slides easilly under the end of a axle. Its jacked axles from 1750 lb up to 10k. Give it 5-6 pumps and the tire clears the ground. No blocks to worry with for lifting the whole side of the trailer.

I also have a old commercial 4000 lb two speed scissor jack with a 8" X 12" base that weighs about 30-35 lbs. With the long crank handle it slides easilly under one end of a axle.

Whatever method or type of jack you choose make a dry run at home. This is especially trus with those  drive on ramps that lift the flat tire. Many folks find out the hard way it doesn't lift the flat tire clear of the ground. 

Good idea, just got my AC delco 6 ton, I'll let you know how it works the first time. -I learned that you must be careful when opening the valve (all the way) - the oil spills out! ;D Well, that one wasn't the Delco, wrong store... 8)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom