Will I damage my truck?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

moter

Hi all! I just joined the forum and I'm happy to be here! Looking for some advice. I am looking to buy a new Jayco White Hawk 27 RB (33') travel trailer. I've been watching a number of You Tube videos about these trailers and the reviewer states that these trailers may be too much for "some half tons". The question I have is my truck included in this group of "some half tons"? The trailer's dry weight is 6750, 1250 cargo capacity for a 8000 GVWR.

I have a 2020 Ford F-150 short box with the Eco Boost 3.5L twin turbo, 3.55 rear end, with the tow package. According to Ford's numbers, the truck should be able to pull around 10,000 lbs

I currently pull a 2006 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 29' that probably weighs around 6000 lbs when we camp and the truck has no problems. I get between 9 & 10 mpg, at 60 - 65 mph, which is fine with me. The farthest we've ever gone is a 750 mile round trip. We are retired and our goal would be to now explore this great country of ours! I know we're about 2000 lbs under the max but we've generally traveled in the flat lands and am wondering if I'll be sorry when we get into the mountains and more rugged country. Does anyone have this experience and would care to share? Should I buy the trailer or no? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank You!!

I know we're about 2000 lbs under the max but we've generally traveled in the flat lands and am wondering if I'll be sorry when we get into the mountains and more rugged country. Does anyone have this experience and would care to share? Should I buy the trailer or no? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank You!!
We live within the mountains on a 21.4 mile long with 5,800 feet elevation gain of nearly continuous grade up to 11K feet. Yes, there's 69 feet of descent near the summit which isn't much. Starts out at a 10% gradient. To date we haven't towed our 25 foot TT over it and we have no plans to do so. We know to tow around the major mountain passes if possible even though it's much further. Being winterized it's still a major tow over the Rockies. Our 3/4 ton with a 410 horsepower 6.4L with 4.10-1 rear axle ratio revs at 5,000 plus RPM to tow the 6,147 pounds dry weight TT (9,995 GVWR).

2nd No.

OP says;
** I have a 2020 Ford F-150 short box with the Eco Boost 3.5L twin turbo, 3.55 rea1I have a 2020 Ford F-150 short box with the Eco Boost 3.5L twin turbo, 3.55 rear end, with the tow package. According to Ford's numbers, the truck should be able to pull around 10,000 lbs**

This doesn't tell us which F150 package (gvwr/rawr/fawr) you have.
Over the years Ford has given the F150 several different gvwrs from tops a 8200/ 7850 /7550/7050/6800 lbs and...
........ several rawrs , that carries all the hitch loads in the bed, starting at the top 4800/4550/4050/3800 rawrs.
All depending on truck selections.
So it depends on your F150 gawr/rawr/fawr specs that comes on your trucks drivers side door post certification placard.
Don't be fooled by the F150 "max tow" package option.
Its a good option to have but its doesn't allow the truck carry the max load or pull the max weight trailer.
F150 MAX TOW
Includes:
• 3.55 Electronic-locking rear-axle
• 4-pin/7-pin wiring harness
• 36 Gallon fuel tank
• Auxiliary transmission oil cooler
• Engine oil cooler
• Class IV trailer hitch receiver
• Pro Trailer Backup Assist with Tailgate LED
• Smart Trailer Tow Connector (standard on LARIAT and higher)
• Integrated Trailer Brake Controller
• Upgraded front stabilizer bar
• Upgraded rear bumper.

Gotta' have the right gvwr/gawr packages to tow the heavier trailers.

Does your truck have 18 or 20" rims? What type of tires do you currently have on the truck now? Look at the load rating too, which may get you the ability to tow the 32 White Hawk safely sometimes" with mainly the 20 inch tires and rims.
But since I have the complete max tow package with the exact power train, I can attest to the fact that I would not take off across the country visiting many of the tourist locations expecting an easy tow day with it hooked up to that unit. YMMV

Its not just the capacity of the truck, but the length of the truck vs the length of the trailer. It will quickly turn into the tail wagging the dog.

The weight Ford says it is capable to towing is the weight of a flat bed trailer loaded with bricks. Large boxes like RV's are another story. Top heavy, and basically you are towing a billboard that catches the wind. Long trucks, and 2500/3500/250/350 are heavier. The frame is thicker and heavier, the wheels and rims are heavier, the axles are heavier, there is a lot more weight to help keep the rubber on the road and not being pushed around by a long trailer.

Charles

This is a video of the same year, make, and model of our truck towing over the Colorado Rockies on I-70 with a 6 to 7% gradient. Approximately 5,500 RPM's with the 6.4L. We've have had four transmission rebuilds with ours due to it was failing in the shift points during towing up our local and somewhat steeper up to 10% grade Colorado mountain road.

You can almost certainly tow that trailer. I believe, however, that you will not enjoy it when you have any cross-wind.

Weight-wise you would be pushing the limits of that truck for an RV trailer (it would do better with a flat bed utility type trailer). And length-wise the trailer wheelbase far exceeds the truck wheelbase, so the rig would be highly vulnerable to the 'tail wagging the dog". Rv trailers have a lot of wind resistance, are relatively long wheel base (hitch-to-axle length), and put 10-12% of their total weight on the tow vehicle hitch & rear axle. That makes for a lot of stress on the tow vehicle.

One of the underlying problems is that today's half-ton trucks are a compromise between truck and daily driver, as a high percentage do mostly that and are expected to be pleasant riding and fuel efficient. Even configured for towing & hauling, they fall well short of a 3/4 ton or 1-ton.

In my estimation that trailer would be do-able but not a wise or comfortable choice if you plan to travel much. A 3/4 ton truck would be more capable and thus be less stressed by the load. And also less stress on the driver when weather or terrain conditions are less than ideal.

I recently was asking the same question and did my research. Ultimately bought a 3/4T ford with 7.3l gas. Years ago I had a 28' TT I pulled with a 1/2t conversion van. It was doable but swayed every time a truck passed and felt squirrely above 65 mph. Changed to a 3/4t crew cab diesel and had no sway, no need for equalizer hitch, and it felt like I could've gone 80mph with it. that was my lesson on avoiding a marginal tow vehicle.

Does your truck have 18 or 20" rims? What type of tires do you currently have on the truck now? Look at the load rating too, which may get you the ability to tow the 32 White Hawk safely sometimes" with mainly the 20 inch tires and rims.
But since I have the complete max tow package with the exact power train, I can attest to the fact that I would not take off across the country visiting many of the tourist locations expecting an easy tow day with it hooked up to that unit. YMMV

The size of the wheels really do not make much difference. The 20 inch wheels may have lower lower profile tries resulting in the same actual tire diameter.

The size of the wheels really do not make much difference. The 20 inch wheels may have lower lower profile tries resulting in the same actual tire diameter.
The additional size adds a stiffer tire for the rated tow package. According to Ford the Max Towing Package for my setup and for most Super Crew trucks with similar rated packages is shown here. Of course it does not take into consideration your terrain, your windage of what you are towing plus its finished weight.

My wheel base is 145", which creates some reduced handling from the long bed though in certain conditions. Going up the Teton Pass with the White Hawk camper behind would not be a friendly mix at all. There are other areas too. But braking is a risky business with that size behind you too.

Max GCWR/Max Tow only achieved on SuperCrew® equipped with 20” Wheels. These trucks will also come equipped with max springs, steering gear and upgraded stabilizer bar for this configuration.

I will add that I have the 150 XLT model. The more equipment that you have on your truck with Ford, this can reduce your tow rating. The Lariat is rated less, for an example in most cases because of the equipment.
This is a better graph showing a lot of the ifs, ands and butts, as it relates to packages.

1. Do not exceed a trailer weight of 6,000 lbs. with only the Class IV hitch (53B), without the Trailer Tow Package (53A). 2. Do not exceed a trailer weight of 7,000 lbs. with only the Class IV hitch (53B), without the Trailer Tow Package (53A). 3. Raptor only. 4. Requires 2.7L EcoBoost® Payload Package (622). 5. Requires Max Trailer Tow Package (53C). 6. Tremor ® Package. 7. Requires HeavyDuty Payload Package (627). 8. Available Raptor 37 Performance Package (68R). Notes: • Do not exceed trailer weight of 5,000 lbs. when towing with bumper only. • Combined weight of vehicle and trailer cannot exceed listed GCWR. • Do not exceed the Maximum Loaded Trailer Weight listed. • Trailer tongue load weight should be 10% of total loaded trailer weight. Make sure vehicle payload (reduce by option weight) will accommodate trailer tongue load weight and weight of passengers and cargo added to towing vehicle. Addition of trailer tongue load weight and weight of passengers and cargo cannot cause vehicle weights to exceed rear GAWR or GVWR. These ratings can be found on the vehicle Safety Compliance Certification Label.

Last edited:
i would be asking myself if i could stop this load if the brake controller goes out on a hill.
had that happen to me with my 3/4 ton duramax in the mts of NC. it was all the truck wanted.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjay
Back
Top Bottom