Window Seals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Offspring22

So I developed a leak on a window over the winter on my 2006 FunFinder 189FD which I got last season, and I figured I should take the time, pull the window off and replace the seal behind with some butyl tape.  So I pull it off (2 screws broke in the process from being too rusted) and low and behold there was no seal behind other than a foam/rubber gasket on the window itself.  The only thing really holding water out was the caulking outside the window.  Is that normal for most trailers, or should there be some sort of putty behind the window?  I'm considering pulling the rest out now just to make sure they don't leak going forward.  Anyone else pulled a window lately?

Thanks,

I don't know about most trailers but butyl tape is certainly normal for mine. Many boats with similar windows leak from there too.  The water seal is under the outside mounting flange and on my boat I found only dried caulk and then used butyl tape to repair.  The double sided foam tape does provide a seal but basically only holds the plexi-glass (or whatever) in place but dries out with time. The plastic/rubber-like trim around the outside is just that, trim, not a seal. I replaced the double sided tape with butyl tape on the boat as well but it did tend to creep and expand, and needed trimming back from time to time but it never leaked again!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thumpercolt
Back
Top Bottom