Windows 10 Reservation made.......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
legrandnormand said:
Some people are scared of anything without any reason, I guess they just forgot what  "human evolution" means !

At the American Red Cross chapter I volunteer at I repair at least one PC a week that has downloaded one of more viruses, in spite of firewalls, virus protection, active web filtering, no admin access etc. Most of the time I tell the user(s) that all their data is gone, wipe the disk, and flash a new image on it.

I used to be responsible for a database app in use by about a thousand mobile employees.  At any given time 10% of their computers were out of service.  Usually because they found ways to get infected.  One computer that was sent directly to me had over 5,000 virus infected files on it.  Investigation led to that employee being terminated.

And you're going to tell me I shouldn't be concerned about updates that fix vulnerabilities in the OS?

Pardon me, but I'll trust my training and experience.

Well, computers are just like RV's in that sense.  We get to fix em up, or not. Do maintenance, or not.  Or just use em till they die, and then we get to complain about them.  At least complaining is free!

Come to think of it, owning an RV, and paying for all the 'stuff' is exactly like paying a ransom to a gangster in Eastern Europe to decrypt your files for a month.  (If you haven't heard of crypto locker you should look it up.  It's one of the most insidious and successful ransomware viruses ever, and there are dozens of variants.)

Good analogy.

I have found my first irritating glitch with W10.  When I open my downloads folder to look for a file I have saved I will start scrolling down the list looking for the file, if I stop scrolling for about one second, the list automatically returns to the top. 

It does this over and over again, not giving me any time to select and click the desired file.  I am using a microsoft wireless mouse, and I am not moving the scroll wheel when it does this crazy action.  Any guesses to get this to stop doing this guys?

SargeW said:
I have found my first irritating glitch with W10.  When I open my downloads folder to look for a file I have saved I will start scrolling down the list looking for the file, if I stop scrolling for about one second, the list automatically returns to the top. 

It does this over and over again, not giving me any time to select and click the desired file.  I am using a microsoft wireless mouse, and I am not moving the scroll wheel when it does this crazy action.  Any guesses to get this to stop doing this guys?
Certainly no help, but mine does not have the problem.  I'm using a Microsoft wireless USB mouse.

I haven't seen that behavior either nor have I read any other reports of it.  I have a Logitech wireless mouse.  Perhaps you need a mouse driver or software update.

I haven't experience that either, with two different Microsoft wireless mice on different machines.
Also I want to retract my earlier statement about Cortana/Location Services being battery-drainers. After the first couple of days, power usage dropped significantly. If the battery level/time remaining indicator is to be believed, my Surface Pro 2 now is a power-efficient in Windows 10 with Location Services and Cortana running as it was without those features in Windows 8.1.
Windows 10 continues to run beautifully for me.

Ive not had that happen either. Do you have a scroll wheel on your mouse that could be getting stuck?

If you have a MS wireless mouse with the receiver that sits on the desk I would start by pairing the mouse with the receiver again.  Press the button on the front of the receiver.  The lights on both since will blink until it's paired.

Changed the batteries in the mouse lately?

I've solved all of my previous problems but just discovered that some of my older videos don't play any longer.  When I get a chance I'm going to download the W10 advanced codec pack from major geeks.com and see what happens.  Minor irritant.

No receiver, just the mouse, wireless keyboard and a small USB plug.  So far I have searched the MS data base with no luck.  Also the software download for the mouse only lists Windows 8.1, no Windows 10 available.

I upgraded to Windows 10 a couple days ago on our 5-year-old HP laptop that had Windows 7.  The transition has been okay, but I turned off a bunch of the "newsfeed" type app-style appearance that I don't really care for.  I also had software problems, with undefined ("unknown device") conflicts showing up in Device Manager, lost the HP factory sound, and lost some aspects of the touchpad functioning (like the right-side scrolling, which is really inconvenient to lose).  I've deleted devices and reinstalled drivers for everything, but the touchpad still won't scroll.  I'm considering reverting back to Windows 7, which I read can be done within 28 days.  I really had no complaints with it.

Go to www.majorgeeks.com and download 'unknown device identifier'.  That will remove the mystery about what the devices are.

HP probably won't have updated drivers.  But the manufacturer of the devices might.  Try loading the W7 drivers.

Or you could download iobit driver booster.  Takes a long time but it works.  Do them one at a time for best results.

I'm no beginner, let me say this... My wife downloaded the Win 10 upgrade. It ate our laptop or the BIOS to be more precise, same result. We had an app tonight for them to call and help us, guess who didn't call, and the wife spent an hour on the phone waiting for tech support, never came on to help.  Beware! We can't even re-install win 7 now.

Gary,

I can't imaging how an OS upgrade could eat a bios.  What happens when you turn the computer on.  Anything?

Have you tried updating the bios from a bootable device?  (This of course depends on the brand of laptop it is.  I deal with mostly HPs and Dells and they both do bios updates differently.). If the bios is truly gone you may have a 'fail safe', 'dual', or 'rescue', bios, again depending on brand.

Do you know how to get into bios settings on your computer?  One of the frequently mis-used settings is The mode of disk operation.  Usually the setting available are AHCI, IDE or Raid.  If it's wrong the computer frequently won't boot. 

Have you tried removing the battery and power from the computer for several minutes?  This frequently clears up what appears to be a totally dead laptop.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/mg/getmirror/destroy_windows_10_spying,1.html

This handy little portable program will remove, disable, or block all of the places where Microsoft wants to monitor your activities.  Just like google has been doing since, like, forever.

I applied it on my laptop a couple of hours ago and haven't seen any ill effects.

Well, uninstalling my wireless mouse and doing a restart didn't  fix the issue.  In fact, I tried searching for a file using just the touch pad on the laptop.  The same results repeated, weather it was a word file, or a pic file.  I can scroll the list looking for a file, but as soon as the scrolling stops for a second, the list pops back to the top. 

As a related issue, I haven't had the same speedy results with W10 as others have noted. In fact it feels sluggish and slow. As a normal fix I did a "file clean up search".  There were over 200 meg of misc files to be cleaned up,  along with if I desired, 19.2 gig  of another Windows OS sitting there (Win 8.1). 

So for now, I guess the computer will just have to trip over the old OS until I finally decide to delete it or reinstall it.  Either way I am not  happy with the glitch in the file search system.  And it sounds like addressing it to Microsoft is a slim possibility of any response. 

Oh,  and since I am on the soapbox, the thing I don't like about W10 is the same thing I didn't like about 8.1.  They are still treating my laptop as if it were a tablet or smart phone.  I couldn't just use an old familiar path to get to disk defragmenter and disk clean up.  IE: Accessories, then system tools. No I had to use the search box at the bottom to search for what I needed and wait for it to come up in a list. 

OK,  I am done for now.

Marty - I have been using Auslogics Disc Defragger for years. It has the built in Windows defragger beat by miles in both speed and function and it is free.

http://download.cnet.com/Auslogics-Disk-Defrag/3000-2094_4-10567503.html

Marty,

It must be your finger :)  Does it do this in any Explorer window or just when browsing the Downloads folder?  Does scrolling work normally in other programs, like notepad and browsers?

As for finding programs, I've used the search box since Windows 7, finding it much faster to find a program that way than search through a huge start menu.  Right now the utilities are split between the old control panel and the new settings windows.  I think in time these will be integrated into a single settings application but it is confusing at the moment.  With the continuous updating I expect to see these little bumps get smoothed out over the next few months.

A quick way to get to the defragmenter for a drive is open Explorer to This PC, right click on the drive and select Properties.  Then select the Tools tab.  This has been in Windows for a long time.  Windows 10, and 8 as well, automatically does continuous defragmenting so no additional programs or effort on your part is needed.  NTFS doesn't suffer much at all from fragmentation as FAT did either.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianw1234
Back
Top Bottom