Windows 10 Upgrade Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I installed Windows 10 about a week ago.  For a long time I have been unhappy with the way AVG hogs my computer the first time I turn it on each day.  I'm considering uninstalling AVG and using the built in antivirus program.

Opinions?

Jeannine, has AVG ever caught any malware?  Windows Defender, while not the very best, is still more than adequate and won't get in your way or slow the computer down.

I have Windows 10 and Windows Defender on one of my laptop and all works well; on my other laptop, I'm running and keeping WINDOWS 7 but running 360 Total Security and it runs just as well.

I use Defender on two of my three systems. As Ned says, not quite as effective as AVG or some others, but adequate. I did have some advertising malware slip by Defender and pollute my browser and search engine, but don't know if AVG would have caught that or not. Those things are a nuisance, but not illegitimate, so hard to filter out.

I have not really noticed that AVG was a hog on start-up. Do you have AVG set to scan on every boot-up? That would be noticeable, I think. If so, try scanning less often, or having the scan done later in the day, when you probably aren't using the computer so much. Of course, that assumes you are leaving the computer on and idle.

I have used Lavasoft Ad-Aware (free version) for years.  It has caught/eliminated many malicious items in the past, and doesn't seem to bog down my system.  Sometimes when I've had stubborn malware pop-ups and want to make sure the source are gone, I'll run another scan with Malwarebytes (also free)... but I don't keep it installed all the time, I just download and run as needed.  That combination has served me well.

One thing I noticed with the new W10 is that it is supposed to identify Wi-Fi connections automagically and then they can be identified as 'Metered' so that massive downloads or updates will not take place. Unfortunately, my metered DSL connection is over a DSL/router modem and thus Windows can't even see it and it cannot be identified as "Metered". The advise in Windows Help regarding a metered connection is then of no help as WiFi does not appear in any of the menus.

I have limited my updates to one source and do not permit the system to feed other PCs with updates as a work around for now but it is obvious I need to take updates for this machine (and the laptop in the future) over my metered connection. Fortunately I can convert that to unlimited data for a small monthly forfeit and I am thinking of doing just that.

I suspect this may change on my laptop if/when it gets upgraded as it has the old style WiFi ( not the 'new style'... a cell data connection). Time will tell.....

One more gripe with windows 10, that massive tiled start menu that pops up when clicking on the Windows icon. I have removed most of the items from it but the actual size does not reduce as a result, it stays as a big gray blob, just sitting there. Has anyone added the 'Classicmenu' addon to W10 yet? I had used it extensively with W 07  and kind of like the old style (XP) style of of menus. (Yeah, I realize that All Apps attempts to display the software installed in a similar manner but....)

The Windows 10 start menu is resizable, just grab a corner or edge and resize it, just like any other window.

Ned said:
The Windows 10 start menu is resizable, just grab a corner or edge and resize it, just like any other window.

Ahhh... so it is, to a point.

Thanks Ned

Ned said:
and you don't have to remove any displayed aps to resize it.

Ned,

I think AVG detected a threat a few years ago.  It periodically  displays a message saying "look at all the threats I detected", but the threat counts are always zero.

Gary,

I usually put my laptop  in sleep mode. As soon as I boot, AVG starts updating.  Ever since I got a tablet and a smartphone, I don't use the laptop every day.  I gave tweaked the scan settings, but it usually starts scanning right away.

As a former systems programmer, I object to apps that don't "play nicely" with other programs and hog resources when they should be running in the background.

I think I will disable or uninstall AVG and keep my backups current.

Jeannine

Alfa38User said:
One thing I noticed with the new W10 is that it is supposed to identify Wi-Fi connections automagically and then they can be identified as 'Metered' so that massive downloads or updates will not take place. Unfortunately, my metered DSL connection is over a DSL/router modem and thus Windows can't even see it and it cannot be identified as "Metered". The advise in Windows Help regarding a metered connection is then of no help as WiFi does not appear in any of the menus.

I have limited my updates to one source and do not permit the system to feed other PCs with updates as a work around for now but it is obvious I need to take updates for this machine (and the laptop in the future) over my metered connection. Fortunately I can convert that to unlimited data for a small monthly forfeit and I am thinking of doing just that.

I suspect this may change on my laptop if/when it gets upgraded as it has the old style WiFi ( not the 'new style'... a cell data connection). Time will tell.....

Man, you do have a cheap "Bell Canada Sympatico" service, even with your 35% rebate !  ;)
I'm gone from them a long time ago and much more better service elsewhere !

Jeannine: Windows Defender will be less hassle, so give that a try.  That, and good habits (like not clicking on URLs that came in unsolicited emails), are probably all you need.

Gary,

I took the plunge last night and uninstalled AVG.  I'm letting Defender do the job (and using good habits :)

Now I don't have to wait forever to enter my password when the system wakes up.  Will see how things go.

Jeannine

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fth
Back
Top Bottom