Windows 10 upgrade - should we do it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lowell

I've waited to upgrade a desktop with Windows 7 and a laptop with Windows 8.1.  A number of you have already upgraded and I just wanted to see if you all think it is a good idea to upgrade while it is still free.  Any regrets or go for it?

Go for it, Windows 10 is the best version of Windows released yet.  If there are any problems with the install, you have 30 days to revert to the previous version.

I would definitely upgrade the 8.1 machine. I can't stand Windows 8. My work machine is Windows 7 and my personal laptop is 10. I'm used to 7 and am on it 40+ hours a week so I prefer it over 10, but it could be that I just haven't put in enough time with 10 yet. 

If you do it you wont be able to stop the automatic downloads every few days. If your traveling that means you could eat up lots of data minutes unless your hard wired internet.

Ran into a situation recently where we upgraded a Dell business class workstation that was around 5 years old.  When we upgraded to Win 10, the network card quit working.  When I checked the Dell support site they stated that they were not supporting that machine for Win 10.  I could have probably determined the card manufacturer and download a driver, but decided to just back Win 10 off and continue running Win 7.  The restore worked like a charm.  Only mention because not all migrations are seamless.  Would definitely upgrade the 8.1 machine.  Microsoft got it right this time around.

As previously mentioned be aware that you can not turn off the automatic updates.

This  could significantly eat into the block of data you purchase each month.  This would obviuosly apply  only while on the road.

Meh...I actually prefer Windows 7 to any of the later versions. I have a laptop with Windows 10 on it...takes me "forever" to do things that take mere seconds with 7. (and, like many people, I hate Windows 8.1. That is the worst OS since Vista...maybe worse)

It's not unusual for hardware to stop working with an operating system upgrade...especially if it's more than a couple of years old. Manufacturers would rather sell NEW hardware than support older products with new drivers.

Harry B said:
As previously mentioned be aware that you can not turn off the automatic updates.

This  could significantly eat into the block of data you purchase each month.  This would obviuosly apply  only while on the road.

Yes you can.  Just google 'How to turn off Windows updates'.  I found several different methods in about 30 seconds.  Here's two methods explained in a video : https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m-bmRe0VEeQ

Harry B said:

There is a setting to stop updates using a "metered" internet access. However, the hick comes in when you are on a lan that uses a router like connection for that access. Windows10 cannot seem to identify these as a metered access and thus....

This might help:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows-8/metered-internet-connections-frequently-asked-questions

For those of you who have switched to Win10 but prefer the Win7 interface & menu system there is a exceptionally good free utility that will allow you to have all those comfortable settings back (and more).

Check out

http://www.classicshell.net/

Of all the utilities I've tried and used over time this one would be in my top 3.

Cheers,
Geoff

P.S. if for some reason you are a "Quickbooks" user then don't upgrade until you check with their (Quickbook) tech support, my wife's business uses Quickbooks exclusively and so fare we have tried twice, I had to take a brand new PC back to Win7 to get Quickbooks to work correctly.

quaywe said:
For those of you who have switched to Win10 but prefer the Win7 interface & menu system there is a exceptionally good free utility that will allow you to have all those comfortable settings back (and more).
http://www.classicshell.net/ 

I was just going to post about Classic Shell as I just installed it yesterday. When I updated Windows 10 to the newest version about a week ago, there is something in the latest update that is designed to reject Classic Shell install.  I tried it and it causes a pop up that reads "This program is not compatible with this version of  Windows 10".

A Google search turned up an article and a fix for Classic Shell to work on the newest Win 10 update.  You simply go to where you have Classic Shell stored and change the name to anything, like "abcde.exe" and hit install.  Then it installs easily.  I am jazzed, I got my Windows 7 start menu back! It is so much easier to navigate and find what I am looking for.  Just wanted to share my good fortune. 

Lots of good info here and all the reasons I haven't upgraded are covered. I'm filing this one, thanks.

Do it.
We have two laptops and 2 desktops on W10.
Best yet.

The biggest complaint is that people do not want to look and learn anything new.
W10 actually solved a problem we had with both W7 and W8 on using an older
printer - scanner on wireless. The printer manufacturer could not solve the problem
while using W7 or W8 - W8.1. W10 immediately solved it.

Back
Top Bottom