windshield wiper wrong park position

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dirko

Hi Ho:  I suspect that a better understanding of how the circular motion of the motor is converted to back and forth motion of the wiper arm would help.  My problem is that instead of parking at the horizontal position the blades are vertical.  Everything else works normally.  I took as much stuff apart as I could, but still don't know exactly how the park position could change.  It is apparently determined by a switch contact that rotates as the arm moves back and forth, but what could make it change is still a mystery.  Any ideas?

The park position is determined by a contact that is activated by a cam on the shaft. If both motors park the same you may have to loosen the arms and rotate them to get them to park where you want them.  On the boats we put a tie wrap on the motor shaft and leave the tail on.  That way you can see where the arm will sweep before you put the arm on.

Hi Ho:  Well this coach has been parking horizontal for years.  Something seems to have slipped.    The question is what?  There is only one motor.  There is a small (app. 2 1/2 inch) geared disk that has the contacts for the park etc.  All contacts seems to be ok and the wipers operate normally otherwise.    If I move the arms to park horizontally they go down instead of wiping the windows.  The other problem is that I can't get the assemby out without removing the dash and the screws that fasten the assembly from the top, so I would like to find an easier way.

It's not totally clear when the problem started, but it is sometimes possible to put the plate on the motor that the arms connect to on 180 degrees off. So if some maintenance was done and then the problem occured it might just need turned around.

Ken

Hi Ho:  Thanks, Ken (and others).  Well, the problem started when using the wipers in a rain storm with wind.  They worked correctly before that, and just wouldn't park correctly afterwards.  It is pretty clear to me that something slipped, but the question is what?  and how to get it back?

:eek:
Just visited numerous web postings for Itasca suncruisers and all of them show the wipers parked vertically. Might wish to verify problem before trying to fix.

Hi Ho:  Sorry for the confusion about which coach.  We recently got a 2006 Tiffin Phaeton 40QDH.    However, the previous coach did have a similar wiper system which did park horizontally (and still does).

I may have to bite the bullet and remove the dash so that the entire system can be removed.  I'm sure the problem (and solution) will then become clear.  Just hoping someone has already solved this one.

sounds like ford issue. i've seen numerous crown vics, grand marquis and lincolns with vertically parked wipers. try searching a ford enthusiast forum.

During a snowstorm my wipers went from horizontal to a 45 degree angle DOWN.  The motor gearing is bolted with a single nut to the parallelgram wiper actuator.  This nut loosened on my unit.  Could this nut have loosened to allow the shaft to rotate?  If the nut is tight, another way to fix is to remove the wiper arms from the rotator shafts.  In the arm there is a knerled sleeve that can be removed and re-aligned to make the arms horizontal.  JM2?...

Hi Ho:  Thanks again.  The wipers work perfectly and cover the correct section of the windshield.    Therefore adjusting the blades is counterproductive since that causes them to cover the winshield differently.  Could anything have slipped to cause only the park position to change.    These wiper have always in the past parked horizontally with the blades at the bottom of the windshield.  What (if anything) can I move to cause only the park position to change?

Really cool problem.
The wiper motors that I have seen have a mechanical/electrical position sensor that maintains 12 volts to the motor until it reaches a preset stop position. These have been part of the gearbox assembly and should not be adjustable!
I would find a chassis shop for your phaeton and ask for assistance. I would not pull the dash...all wiper motors I have seen are outside the coach to avoid leaks and reduce noise.
Look forward to updates.
Bob

Hi Ho:  Thanks, Bob and others..  The problem with working on the wipers where they are is that there isn't much room under the front shell to get at things.    I'm pretty sure that I could fix the problem if I could get the wipers out.

So, the solution isn't elegant, but here it is:    I simply installed a switch in series with the blue power wire.    When the switch is off the wipers stop moving regardless of where they are.  I just flip the switch when they are in the correct park position.

We don't use the wipers all that often, so this "fix" works for us.    I would still like to know exactly what caused the problem and how to get the normal park to work.

I have a 2000 Winnebago Brave with a similar wiper problem;  they stop about a foot away from the center vertical position just enough to get in my way.  I have inspected the wiper motor, linkage and pivot points.  Although they seem loose, they do not appear to be wrong. I wonder if you learned any more about adjustment since October 2012 when you installed the incline switch?

Hi Ho:  I thought this was history and haden't seen your post.  If the wipers are covering the correct area on the windshield, adjusting them mechanically is not the solution.  I took apart the motor drive by reaching up under the cowel which is not an easy thing to do.  Tiffin decided the easiest way to install the wiper motor is with self-tapping screws from on top.  This means that the dashboard has to be removed to get the motor assembly out.  I did find the assembly that senses position under a cover.  If has a circular plate with spaces that determine when to park.  If we were able to get it out I think the problem and solution would be relatively easy, but I don't really know the details because my "fix" with the switch is good enough for what we want to do.
Dirk

Back
Top Bottom