Winnebago brave starting problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tinymartin

Hi all, I have a winnebago brave motorhome 1995 automatic diesel which at times take a long to really long time to start. I've checked the obd1 connection and bridged A and B and got fault codes 17, 18 and 35. I was wondering if anyone had a problem like this and how they fixed it or go about fixing it. When the engine does start it runs fine it's just the first part that's at fault where it take its time or sometimes need a battery pack to help as the battery starts to go flat. I'm going change the crankshaft sensor as I think it may be a timing error, I've been told that this engine doesn't have a camshaft sensor. What do you all think?
The vin number is: 1GBJP37F0S3313034
Model
WCF23RC

Last edited:
Errors 17 and 18 seem to be related to fuel pump malfunctioning. Error 35 is related to PMD issues. Take a look at these links :

Is this the old GM 6.5 diesel? Same as used in the Humvee?

Charles
It's a GMC 6.5 ltr diesel. Not sure if it's the same as a Humvee as we are in Britain. Yes this is a left hand drive and American build I think on a chevrolet basis. Hope that help

I agree with uchu, a fuel pump, or clogged fuel filter, issue is likely. Since a diesel engine does not have an ignition circuit, (assuming you have good starting battery) that leaves fuel as the likely culprit.

Would a faulty crankshaft sensor cause the problem? I thought these fault codes were as follows:
17 Camshaft position sensor - circuit/timing error.
18 Camshaft or Crankshaft sensor/circuit timing error
35 idle air control valve/Sensor circuit fault.
Or am I reading the wrong fault codes for this vehicle?

I agree with uchu, a fuel pump, or clogged fuel filter, issue is likely. Since a diesel engine does not have an ignition circuit, (assuming you have good starting battery) that leaves fuel as the likely culprit.
As I stated earlier, once I get it running its fine. I've been told it goes into limp mode now and again and the warning light is on. Are we sure we're talking about the same vehicle as this is new to me what being an American motor. Thanks for you help in advance.

Errors 17 and 18 seem to be related to fuel pump malfunctioning. Error 35 is related to PMD issues. Take a look at these links :

Can see the second link. Sorry

Does anyone have diagrams or pictures of the engine and fuel system etc so I can identify where parts are and what it's called. Eg pics of an engine and labels for the parts. Anything would be helpful as there is nothing in Britain for this Vehicle. Thanks again

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MsWebster
Back
Top Bottom