Winnebago factory tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
S

seilerbird

We were in northern Iowa so we decided to stop by Forest City and do a tour of the Winnebago factory. It was truly mind blowing. Building a motor home is a lot more complicated than I ever imagined. I did manage to snap one photo before I was told I couldn't take pictures of the facility. If you are ever in the neighborhood I would highly recommend the tour. They weren't working the week we were there. We were told they are only working every other week right now.

Attachments

• Winnebago line.jpg
    Winnebago line.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 134
Now that you've been to one RV factory, take every opportunity you can to visit others.  In addition to building a complex vehicle/house, the manufacturers differ in how they make their products and visting the factories is one way to see these differences which can't help but make us all better-informed consumers.

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
Now that you've been to one RV factory, take every opportunity you can to visit others.  In addition to building a complex vehicle/house, the manufacturers differ in how they make their products and visting the factories is one way to see these differences which can't help but make us all better-informed consumers.

ArdraF

Will do!

We stopped at Winnebago, in Forest City IA, for the factory tour yesterday.  Did the 9AM, 2 hour tour.  Things were in full swing.  We walked through the fabric, sewing, cushions building, then to the Class A and Class C build building.  What impressed me was how much hand, people, labor is involved.  I was expecting a much more automated process.  They have 2900 people working at the Forest City plant, involved in all aspects of the build process.  Asked about how long from order at a dealer to delivery = 3-4 months.  Constant truckloads of materials and chassis being delivered.

seilerbird said:
We were told they are only working every other week right now.

My bet is that under Iowa law you have a one-week waiting period to qualify for unemployment benefits. Working every other week thereby cuts workers' employment and paycheck in half without benefits. Tell me if I'm wrong. Perhaps, though, workers have only one one-week waiting period per year.

Dan23 said:
My bet is that under Iowa law you have a one-week waiting period to qualify for unemployment benefits. Working every other week thereby cuts workers' employment and paycheck in half without benefits. Tell me if I'm wrong. Perhaps, though, workers have only one one-week waiting period per year.
Could be but this is from 2008.

I hate it when people revive years old threads. Happens way too often.

phil-t said:
It was just a Winnebago Factory Tour thing! ---- sorry
No need to apologize Phil. You did nothing wrong. There is no problem with posting to an old thread, especially when it is my old thread.

The poster was also listed as a guest and has since changed his name by capitalizing the first letter.  I was wondering why I was getting to read his post as I have him on my Ignore list.  Eleven year old posts should be eliminated as they can lead to confusion such as the one week off comment.  2008 was a recession year and that would explain the one week off schedule.

Bill,

That Guest notation on the login means that that particular login has been removed from the system, but It wasn't the Caps that made the difference. In that slot you can change your displayed name to whatever you like while retaining the login ID (which isn't displayed if you make the change -- my login isn't Larry N). I won't go into the history other than to say that is was an actual login ID change.

[quote author=Bill N]Eleven year old posts should be eliminated as they can lead to confusion such as the one week off comment.[/quote]

Eliminating/deleting 'old' posts can/will eliminate a large part of our searchable knowledgebase. The very few times someone posts to an old topic is a minor issue.

Tom said:
Eliminating/deleting 'old' posts can/will eliminate a large part of our searchable knowledgebase. 

That makes sense Tom.  Is there any way the date of an older post (say over 5 years) could be highlighted in red or something that may draw the readers attention.  No need to respond if that is not possible or feasible.  As you said it is a minor thing in the overall scheme of things. But it sure suckered me in.......LOL

Good question Bill. If you click Reply on an old topic that hasn't seen a new post/reply, you'll see a red warning saying:

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

You can check this out by clicking Reply on one of the old topics on our Member practice board. Of course, that won't be seen by someone replying to an old topic that has had a new/recent reply posted.

Tom said:
Good question Bill. If you click Reply on an old topic that hasn't seen a new post/reply, you'll see a red warning saying:

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

You can check this out by clicking Reply on one of the old topics on our Member practice board. Of course, that won't be seen by someone replying to a new/recent reply to an old topic.
This is what is done on some other message boards I am on, and it has kept the number of irrelevant responses down as compared to before they implemented it. However some people never read, so it won?t fix all of them.

[quote author=UTTransplant]However some people never read, so it won?t fix all of them.[/quote]

Aye. that's what we're seeing here - a very small number of people who don't read, or who post anyway.

So, where would we be, if I had started a new thread; and someone posted to it, remembering that WBGO had cut their work schedule so many years ago?  I get the old post thing - but, in my mind there are exceptions.  For goodness sake - it is a topic/subject about the Winnebago Factory Tour, with no date specific info.  :-X

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Happyone
Back
Top Bottom