Winnebago Forza genset thermostat access

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scottro

Thinking about in the future needing to change out the thermostat on our generator. There is really no access to the top of the generator,as it does not slide out for better access. I was wondering if anyone had done this in the past. There is no access panel inside the coach to get to the top of the generator.
Anyone with experience doing this?
Thanks,Scott
Orlando

When we had our generator repaired (it was on a slide-out) I asked the tech how can they work on one that's fixed in place. You aren't going to like the answer - they have to drop it.

I have learned the hard way, over the years, to leave a working thermostat alone, and I also learned to only use OEM thermostats. Ford used to use aluminum thermostat housings and I would remove one during a hose change to clean the corrosion from it. In the process I would replace the thermostat and a couple of thermostats later, I would go back to a OEM thermostat from Ford to fix the erratic operation. Finally put an aftermarket cast iron thermostat housing on and didn't have any issues after that, as I quit messing with it.

Recently got stupid again. Was flushing the Cummins cooling system after I bought it because it had unknown green coolant in it. You cannot just remove the thermostat and run it, the seal is part of the thermostat itself. So I took the thermostat (original Cummins) and gutted the working parts out of it and used it to flush with. Then I bought a NAPA thermostat to replace it. Engine ran about 10 degrees hotter than it should, and then after a couple of thousand miles, started sticking, then would pop open. Made the trip to the Cummins distribution center about 40 or 50 miles away and bought their thermostat, $53! that was in 2018. Has worked perfectly ever since.

Charles

Had a similar experience with our former rockcrawler Jeep. I installed a supercharger and wanted to improve the cooling system on the old I-6 Jeep engine. Long story short, after four of five 'high performance' radiators and trying a 12V fan instead of the engine driven fan I went back to OEM.

The Jeep OEM radiator was superior. Also it finally dawned on me that the cooling system was designed as a 'system' where every part is selected to achieve the engineering criteria.

Good info and stories Charles.
I don’t want to change the thermostat at this point,just was hoping someone knew a way to access it and replace it when necessary. Hope I don’t need to worry about it for a long time! Thanks again
Scott,Orlando

Back
Top Bottom