Winnebago Solis 59PX v. Thor Sequence

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

davidmc

Hello, I am new to the forum and RVing in general. My family did RV some when I was a kid and teenager.

I am looking at the Winnebago Solis 59PX versus the Thor Sequence. I want a class B with pop up sleeping area for a child to be able to sleep in.

The Solis 59PX and Thor Sequence both meet this need, and I am trying to figure out which is best for me.

One thing I don't like about the Solis 59PX is the low mounting of the generator. It hangs down below the rear axle and I would be concerned that it could be damaged by road debris or if driving on a gravel or dirt road that is not even. Is this a problem for owners?

Also, I have read that Winnebago is a better company (ie, more support, better after the sale service), than Thor. I have also read vague online complaints about Thor being less reliable, cheaper materials, more prone to breakage, etc.

Is anyone here familiar with both of these models who can shine some light on some of my questions?

Thanks in advance!

Not anywhere close to being familiar with either one of these. You have basically read correctly about Thor. The internet is so full of stories that I find it difficult to think they are all made up. Winnebago, few complaints that I have ever seen. (Full disclosure, I did own a Winnebago 2007 View 523H) As I just remarked less than 10 minutes ago in another thread, park in front of me a Thor and a Winnebago, both same chassis and similar floor plan, and I won't even look at the Thor, I'll just take the WBO and drive away. That being said, on a Class B there is somewhat less to screw up than other models. I keep beating the dead horse with the Winnebago publishes parts catalog, wiring diagrams, plumbing drawings, etc, blueprint style, online, free for all to see. Go ask Thor if they do this......

That being said, sorry, don't want any part of that chassis.

Charles

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with those models but would share your concerns about the Thor for the same reasons.

My impression is that most Thor brands are targeting the budget price market, cutting corners to offer the most bling for the dollar. Probably not true across the board, but enough to tarnish the corporate name. RVs are extremely price-competitive and share many of the same components, so no manufacturer can undercut an other's pricing without cutting corners somewhere. Usually where it won't show until after the warranty expires.

Winnebago gets high marks for providing information and after sale service. That alone is a significant edge for somebody like me that likes to DIY. And even if you aren't a tinkerer, having that info is a help to professional RV techs too.

So Airstream Drv and Tiffin are cheap low budget poorly built crap,? Oh and throw Jayco in there as well! And my Voltage which starts at $150k us dollars such a blanket statement is akin to saying all Fords are crap which is why the F series truck is the number 1 setting truck in the world. Yes some Thor is garbage some Fords are garbage ive had 10plus trailers including a POS Winnibago im on my second Voltage because my 1st one was awesome and i pulled it some 100,000 miles over 6 years.
Trailers are hand built some good some bad my experience with Thor has been nothing but positive they have fixed issues out of warranty no questions and more so with no charge.

Last edited:
So Airstream Drv and Tiffin are cheap low budget poorly built crap,? Oh and throw Jayco in there as well! And my Voltage which starts at $150k us dollars such a blanket statement is akin to saying all Fords are crap which is why the F series truck is the number 1 setting truck in the world. Yes some Thor is garbage some Fords are garbage ive had 10plus trailers including a POS Winnibago im on my second Voltage because my 1st one was awesome and i pulled it some 100,000 miles over 6 years.
Trailers are hand built some good some bad my experience with Thor has been nothing but positive they have fixed issues out of warranty no questions and more so with no charge.

Maybe you got the one built by the guys having a good day? :)

To your point, some have great experiences with brands and others have bad. I wish consumer reports would do an RV quality comparison like they do cars. At least you would have a pretty reliable source with some solid methodology behind it, rather than anecdotal stories by people like us.

OP - it might be useful to check this site and others in specific forums to the models/manufacturers to see if anyone has had trouble with those. Also, there are some specific owner groups on facebook that might be useful.

steveblonde is right - should not tar all the Thor brands with the same brush. For example, DRV and Airstream owners are mostly quite pleased, though I hear they to produce the occasional lemon. Cheap, entry-level models are going to have shortcomings no matter who builds them.

should not tar all the Thor brands with the same brush.
While that is no doubt true, it also demonstrates the reason that it is always risky to make a negative statement about any manufacturer, even when it is true.

The Thor Sequence is built by the division that wears the name of Thor and has nowhere even close to the reputation of Winnebago, DRV, Airstream, Entegra, or any of several other brands that are owned by Thor Industries. The fact is that not all products from a division of Thor Ind. have the same reputation, nor do they deserve to, good or bad.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom