Winter Storm Watch, Eastern Utah and Western Colorado

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Grand Junction CO
456 PM MST Sun Feb 19 2023

...WINTER STORM WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM TUESDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH WEDNESDAY EVENING...

* WHAT...Heavy snow and blowing snow possible. Total snow
accumulations of 12 to 24 inches possible. Wind gusts of 55 to
70 mph will be possible.

* WHERE...Portions of northwest, southwest and west central
Colorado and east central and southeast Utah.

* WHEN...From Tuesday afternoon through Wednesday evening.

* IMPACTS...Travel could be very difficult. Widespread blowing
snow could significantly reduce visibility, especially on
ridge tops and mountain passes. A detailed map of the snowfall
can be found at: www.weather.gov/gjt/winter.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Wind gusts over 60 mph could occur mainly above 10000 feet early Wednesday morning through the afternoon hours.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

Monitor the latest forecasts for updates on this situation.

Last edited:
In other news, it's still Winter until March 20th. šŸ˜

But we are also getting a blast here in the Upper Left. Lots of snow in the passes and a lot of rain on the Wet Side. And then, cold!!

Been cold down here in SE AZ. from the locals, this is not the usual. Today was high 50's and high humidity, yesh. But not snow.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Grand Junction CO
456 PM MST Sun Feb 19 2023

...WINTER STORM WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM TUESDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH WEDNESDAY EVENING...
That covers most of the state west of Denver. Tues. afternoon through Wed need to be watched, for Denver and the Front Range, also. Then the eastern plains...

Minnesota has a watch out that reads a lot like the one for Colorado, just not quite as much snow for Tuesday through Thursday.

I-70 in Glenwood Canyon in Colorado gets shut down nearly every winter storm. Same thing with I-80 near Elk Mountain, Wyoming. Weather forecasts don't usually cover remote regions, but just in the towns and cities. Cell phone service is usually spotty to unavailable. Don't receive any stations on the radio either through Glenwood Canyon. When the roads are closed lodging isn't available in these regions.

I-80 is closed in the middle of Wyoming once again tonight near Elk Mountain.

chrome_screenshot_1676869432187.png

Looking at the forecast maps for Wednesday, it is not looking like a good travel day anywhere in the Northern Plains. And were are just now finally able to see our driveway. (sigh)Screenshot 2023-02-20 131000.jpg

CDOT is looking to solutions to prevent the high number of I-70 closers during the past couple of years through Glenwood Canyon, Colorado.

It's definitely kept us from shopping at our only Costco in Western Colorado. Love to, but would hate to be stuck overnight in the canyon on I-70 with no cell phone service.

Last edited:
I am not a timid driver by any means, but I do have a healthy respect that section of the highway. Unless they can figure out how to enforce the speed limits, they haven't a chance at keeping the highway open. Idiots fly through the canyon at ridiculous speeds for even a good, dry pavement day. They completely ignore the speed posted limits, and when something happens, they are ill prepared for the conditions and situations that arise. I've seen the conditions turn in minutes, and most drivers are ill-prepared to adjust to them. One stupid driver is all it takes, but there are usually a few if them around just looking for the opportunity to screw things up.
[end rant]

We've been driving through it back when it was the 2 lane Highway 6. Never had any issues. The speed limits in both Glenwood Canyon and De Beque Canyon are ignored and aren't enforced. I understand their need to make time on the way to Denver or Las Vegas by driving 20 to 30 MPH above the posted speed limits. Lots of out of state especially California plates which seem to be the worst offenders. We aren't in any hurry though with a load of groceries. Just stay out of the way.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Garwaldo
Back
Top Bottom