Winterize Ice Maker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What fridge, and is it RV or residential type? Or is this a standalone icemaker?

Fpr an RV fridge, you can disconnect the water line from the valve (behind the fridge, by the cooling unit) and blow air thru that far. That also drains the solenoid valve itself.

The part between the solenoid valve and the ice maker itself is a bit trickier. I've had success just disconnecting the line and letting it drip drain, but sometimes it doesn't cooperate. Got a watch that closely. The safest way is to keep pressure on and cycle the solenoid, either by waiting for an icemaker cycle or jumping it to force it open. On an RV fridge, that is a 120v solenoid.

If residential fridge or standalone ice maker, it's more complicated.

Be it an RV fridge or a Residential it is most likely a U-LIne.

Once you have blown the water out of the air lines (First blow) cycle the Ice Maker,, Twice.. (Forced cycle) that's about all there is too it,

If you want to get the water out of the tray,, You can just let it cycle "Normally" (Let it freeze)

The difficulty with a residential fridge is that the water control solenoid/valve is inside the fridge somewhere, so you can't jumper the contacts or disconnect the inner tubing easily.

With residential fridge, I used the pink stuff until I started having pink in the ice tray. I'm sure that next spring I  will have some pink ice cubes for a while. I don't use much ice so I'm not to concerned about this taking a while to clear up. 

Just did my res fridge. Drained the lines and than pumped pink into all lines. Left pressurized until ice maker makes pink slush. There is no easy way to get behind fridge to get to water line. Air will not blow out line because of solenoid. Same with washer, ran two quick rinse/spin one hot one cold to get water out of line.

If you leave air pressure on until the icemaker cycles, it will blow through when that happens.

However, note that the water line between solenoid and ice tray is open ended and that the tray end normally freezes anyway. It should be no problem if that part freezes because the water expands into the tray area. In theroy, anyway, the line wouldn't burst because the pressure is relieved as it builds.

Back
Top Bottom