Winterizing question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jcdogfish

My travel trailer is used as  a camp. We never use the fresh water tank as we hook up to city water.  I also use the trailer in the winter so winterizing for a full winter is out.  Can I just add rv anti freeze to the fresh water tank and when I leave during winter run it through the pump and out of all faucets, toilet etc.  I know I would have to drain the water heater and bypass it and drain the water filter and bypass before doing this.  Just wanted input on doing this in case there is something it would miss.  Or would it be better since I don't use the fresh water pump and tank to just do the bypasses etc then put the anti freeze through the lines with a sprayer pump?

If you electricity and a compressor, how about blowing the lines clear with 20-25 psi of air? That way you don't have to flush out the antifreeze each time you return.

But yes, you could pump antifreeze through the lines and bypass & drain the heater.

It would depend on how your pump is plumbed into the system. Do you fill the tank thru the city water hook-up or just from the end of the hose directly into the tank? I'd worry about not having antifreeze at the city water hook up point, and in the line to where the pump it hooked into the system.  Your best bet is to open the low point drains and drain the whole system down, then use an air compressor to blow out any remaining water, and ensure the hot water tank is empty, the anti freeze the drains.

I'm like Gary I just blow all the line out with a air compressor and skip the pink stuff. Winters up her tend to be cold and -25*F pink anti-freeze is rather solid and bothers me that it just takes a bit more for expansion and POP. So since air won't freeze till -300 (some odd temp) I really doubt there would be any issues with blowing the lines out.

Put me in the group of blow out the lines.

Our TT is set up on a campsite with city water also.  I take my pancake compressor and blow the lines out and drain the water heater. Don't forget  to blow out the toilet line and disconnect the shower head too. Then I pour a little pink stuff down the drain traps.  It don't take long and the lines are clear when you return.  Just turn on the water and open the taps and flush the toilet.  Easy and cheaper than all that pink stuff your going to just flush down the drain each time you have to re-winterize.  Last fall I did this about 3 times as we used our camper after we had been below freezing a few times.

If you did that. I would add a ball valve after the pump to prevent antifreeze from getting into lines.  But even with that. Theirs a risk of contamination

Back
Top Bottom