wiring "house" power

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

infinitefoamies

I'm along for the trip, not the destination.
I am wiring/re-wiring my truck and slide in camper with an inverter, converter, ups, breakers, shore power, etc.
I have a few questions such as what type of wire for ac out, romex?

Then should i wire in under carpet or externally in flexible conduit?

What gauge for 20a shore service(romex?)

Are there any particular codes to follow? I heard that outlets should be upaide down so pressure goes on ground prong instead of hot or common.

Romex is fairly standard in RV's. I would not run any electrical wire where it can be stepped on, So through walls, over head or underneath in conduit would be my suggestions.

The only reply I can come up with is PLEASE BE CAREFUL!

Just based on your post, I don't want to see you fry yourself or anyone in your family.  Not a good way to start off a new year. 

You can use Romex in the RV interior, but it is not rated for outside use. Nor is it suitable for any location where abrasion is common, e.g. walked on or rubbed between surfaces. Use an outside (water and UV resistance0 wire outside) and choose something flexible (stranded rather than solid).

The standard gauge for 20A power is 12 gauge (per the electrical code). All the usual electrical code wiring provisions apply to RVs, but an RV is basically considered to be a "sub-panel" off a parent system. It should have its own load center, but neutral and ground must NOT be bonded together in the RV. Your shore connection must be three wire - hot, neutral and ground.  You really need to educate yourself a bit on the NEC before doing this job.

denmarc said:
The only reply I can come up with is PLEASE BE CAREFUL!

Just based on your post, I don't want to see you fry yourself or anyone in your family.  Not a good way to start off a new year.
I respect electricity, I do understand basic safety, I just wanted to get others opinions before embarking on this tasks. I am more trying to confirm my thoughts. I had planned  to run the romex through external conduit; is that acceptable? I am using gfi's for external outlets and had planned on using romex in conduit to weather"proof" receptacle enclosures.

Where can I find standard electrical codes? (free)

Conduit is ok, but you don't need to use Romex if it is going to be in conduit anyway.  Use single conductor wires in the conduit - it is cheaper and easier.  You can also use Type UF Romex instead of Type NM - the exterior covering on UF (Underground Feeder) is rugged and waterproof, whereas the NM is for interior use only.

My suggestion about using stranded wire was for the external shore cord, where flexibility is a must.

The actual NEC is huge and expensive, plus difficult to find the relevant parts for any given project.  You can probably pick up an inexpensive DIY wiring book in a home store or online - it will cover the basics for residential and farm wiring projects.  The codes that apply to RVs are basically those that apply to wiring a barn or other auxiliary (detached) building, away from the main power source.

Here is an example of one that would probably help. I have a 15 year old version, but haven't looked at the current one myself:
http://www.amazon.com/Wiring-Simplified-Based-National-Electrical/dp/0971977976

infinitefoamies said:
I am wiring/re-wiring my truck and slide in camper with an inverter, converter, ups, breakers, shore power, etc.
I have a few questions such as what type of wire for ac out, romex?

Then should i wire in under carpet or externally in flexible conduit?

What gauge for 20a shore service(romex?)

Are there any particular codes to follow? I heard that outlets should be upaide down so pressure goes on ground prong instead of hot or common.
As a retired electrician I read these comments and my first reaction is that you really should hire someone to do the work for you. As Gary said the National Electrical Code is very complex.

Hi Ho:  Or better yet, if you have a friend that knows his way around electrical stuff you could get him to show you the ropes.  But be careful that the person really knows what he is doing.  Even if you memorize the NEC there are still tricks to working with electrical systems that require experience.  And the requirements change often enough so that the person should have some recent experience.  I do like the idea of you doing it yourself, though.  Just be sure to get some professional help.  That way you can learn how things are done.  Maybe it is just the engineer in me, but I want to have done everything at least a couple of times in my life, and am not comfortable in having someone else just do it for me.

Hi Ho:  By the way, you didn't say what kind of inverter, but if it is over 1 KW, I suggest that you use welding cable for the 12 volt feed.  this stuff is very flexible and easy to work with.  You may need a rather large cable to handle the current, but we don't know how big since you didn't say how large the inverter is.  The thing to keep in mind is that there are electrical concerns about wire size and insulation as well as mechanical concerns about protecting the wires from abrasion or pinching.  Also, where it is practical 12 volts and 120 volts should not be run in the same cover.  And don't forget to fuse the battery so that you don't have an arc welder on your hands if a short occurs.

Back
Top Bottom