Workhorse with 8.1 L Chev

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

keithhk

Hi, All

I was wondering if there are many of you that have the Workhorse Chassis with the 8.1 L Engine and what kind of gas mileage can you expect to get at 60 MPH and what is the best way to get the maximum mileage.  Thanks  Keith

Do any of us have a Workhorse with a Vortec 8.1  Yes, I do

What kind of millage,,, I'd have to check but I think around 8 on the average (Rig is a 37'7" Damon Intruder Motor Home)

How to maximize millage

The first thing you can do to improve millage is OBEY ALL SPEED LIMITS  I watched the "instant millage" meter as I drove out to the dealer from my Daughter's house a couple of weeks ago... Leaving daughter's on 8mile rd (45mph) is was doing about 10/gallon, hit the 65 MPH freeway and that got cut almost in half.

SPEED EATS GAS

Second, be gently on acceleration, do not drive hard, slow down in advance of red lights instead of standing on the brekes when you get there,,, in fact try to avoid red and get there when it's green if you can. also when it turns green do not FLOOR it but accelerate gently.. try not to spill your partner's coffee in his/her lap.

Tires, Maintain in good condition, check pressure often (I check mine every few minutes when driving, Ask how, but ask Bernie, not me)

Lubrication, DO IT regular oil chainges and lube jobs, pay attention to all engine and chassis maintance issues

WAX, yes WAX your rig, wax can make it more slippery so WAX it.

Finally, www.workehorse.com  Send them an E-mail or otherwise register your rig, there are benefits to registration

(I got my benefit package today in fact)

I'm liking this rig,  Drives well, good power, only issue is I can't see the dash guages due to the steering wheel... If you have the same issue and the "Standard" wheel (I have the delux) let me know.. Perhaps we can solve each other's problems

We have a 2004 Damon Intruder 350W with workhorse and 8.1.  I would be more interested in finding out what you think of the quality of the Damon brand.  We have had ours about 18 months and are seriously considering putting this sign out every place we go with it:

Damon Motor Homes
Quality  ---    Poo
Customer Service    ---  Worse

Is this typical for Damon or did we just end up with "the lemon".  Ken

So far I'm happy with my 2005 Intruder, only customer service issue I have had is E-mail, I can E-mail them but the return is not working... I have no clue as to why they can't E-mail me back but they can not.

Thankfully.... I'm not that far from Elkhart

And snail mail works

Damon actually sent me an owner's manual before I got it.

All other issues are either nits not worth fixing (Example, DVD's are supposed to play on the big TV via VIDEO IN, not chan-3/4  However someone forgot to hook up that cable)

Or "Somebody else's problem" (I have a couple of accessory issues, How water heater sometimes refusers to fire, will heat on 110 but won't on gas.  Microwave sometimes acts "Strange" (works fine, but clock/display is funkey) both are Kojac specials (intermetent) and both are NOT Damon's problem
(Atwood, Dometic) Only other major issue is it appears they shorted me a spare tire, can't even find where it should go!!!!

I'll mention that to them one of these days

Thanks for everyones comments.? I wish I could say that the problems we have had with the Damon were no big deals, but ours have been such things as the front cap cut to large and the windshield dropping down, backflow valve on hydraulics put in backwards (stabilizer jacks tend not to work when this is done), washing machine drain not hooked up (you can imagine how we found that problem). nails sticking through floors, skylight in bathroom pulling completely loose from frame, gasket on slide out has come loose and is laying up on top of the slide out (just recently discovered), and other problems to numerous to mention.? I guess my biggest complaint with Damon has been the slow response time for work authorization even to their own dealer, and even slower when responding to the customer.

afftax said:
Thanks for everyones comments.? I wish I could say that the problems we have had with the Damon were no big deals, but ours have been such things as the front cap cut to large and the windshield dropping down, backflow valve on hydraulics put in backwards (stabilizer jacks tend not to work when this is done), washing machine drain not hooked up (you can imagine how we found that problem). nails sticking through floors, skylight in bathroom pulling completely loose from frame, gasket on slide out has come loose and is laying up on top of the slide out (just recently discovered), and other problems to numerous to mention.? I guess my biggest complaint with Damon has been the slow response time for work authorization even to their own dealer, and even slower when responding to the customer.

WOW, My biggest complaint it the idiot who did the hit and run this afternoon (minor damage, mostly he knocked the generator exhaust pipe loose, Will inspect and deal with next week as this week I'm doing the overtime bit)

Biggest complaint with Damon is still the steering wheel... And I fixed that (Wrong size, actually the size they put on but for me that's just plain the wrong size)

Back
Top Bottom