Would appreciate feedback on what to go for

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeninmex

Hello all,

My husband, myself, my 2 small children and my 4 chihuahuas are planning a 2 year traveling trip around the US, Canada and Mexico (where we currently live) starting in July.

We have thrown around the idea of a Class A, Class C, fifth wheel or a travel trailer.. and have still yet to reach a conclusion. I want something small enough to manoevre on all road types, but large enough for us to be confortable for full time living. Bunk beds would be a plus, and a private bedroom so I can work when I need to. Washer and dryer would be awesome too.

Can anyone give me a recommendation on what size and type we should be going for?

Have you looked into renting rvs for a weekend?  How much time do you expect to spend in one place?  What about car seats/seat belts for the kids? 

Sounds like you might want a separate room for the kids to sleep,as I'm guessing you won't go to bed when they do. 

Would you want to haul a vehicle (toad) for day trips or haul a travel trailer?  I suspect that getting the space you want will mean going with one or the other. 

What do you want in a kitchen setup?  What about storage for all the clothes and toys?  You might prefer doing laundry in a regular machine as opposed to a small rv set.

Just a few things to think about. 

I want something small enough to manoevre on all road types, but large enough for us to be confortable for full time living. Bunk beds would be a plus, and a private bedroom so I can work when I need to. Washer and dryer would be awesome too.

Those are conflicting requirements. Disregarding road types, you'll probably want a class A motorhome with a car towed behind it (or maybe a 5th wheel trailer with a hefty pickup to pull it). Family comfort (especially with bunk beds) and washer/dryer don't come in a small package, as a rule. The toad (towed) will give you access to "all roads" once you've parked for the night(s), or the truck you tow with will do that. If you can, it would be good to spend some time, either at an RV show or at a large RV dealer, going through multiple RV types, both to get an idea of what's out there and to try to determine what floor plan will make the most sense for you.

Don't forget to think about storage space in the rig for the stuff you need to take along, including clothing for multiple climates (cold, warm, hot, rain, etc.), toys for the kids, tools for minor repairs, cameras, books to read, diapers and such if the kids are that small, pots and pans, dishes to eat on, and more.

Of course you need to consider budget, as well, and think about teething troubles if you're buying new (most new rigs have at least a handful of problems), or inspection and repair if you're buying used. Insurance is another consideration.

You might prefer doing laundry in a regular machine as opposed to a small rv set.

Some rigs have separate, stackable washer and dryer (we have that now, and had it in our previous rig), which are almost as good as the home versions, but they do take up space that otherwise could be used for storage. Some folks do love the combos, though, too.

Note that washer/dryer use needs to be where you have full hookups with 50 amp service, since they use a LOT of water and the dryer pulls a LOT of current.

We have a combo washer/dryer. It uses between 15 to 18 gals of water per wash. So it's best to be somewhere with full hook-ups when using. And figure about 10 lbs of clothes at a time.

A Class C is out unless you are thinking a "Super-C" such as the Jayco Seneca, about 35 ft long. As others have said, you need room for the family and the goodies you want, and they don't come in a small package. No worries, large motorhomes or trailers do fine on most 2 & 4 lane highways and the main streets in most cities. For the rest of the city streets, byways and back roads, you use either the tow vehicle for the trailer or a "toad" (towed car) with the motorhome.

Pugapooh said:
Have you looked into renting rvs for a weekend?  How much time do you expect to spend in one place?  What about car seats/seat belts for the kids? 

Sounds like you might want a separate room for the kids to sleep,as I'm guessing you won't go to bed when they do. 

Would you want to haul a vehicle (toad) for day trips or haul a travel trailer?  I suspect that getting the space you want will mean going with one or the other. 

What do you want in a kitchen setup?  What about storage for all the clothes and toys?  You might prefer doing laundry in a regular machine as opposed to a small rv set.

Just a few things to think about.

Alas, living in the area of Mexico that we do, we don't have the option of renting an RV, which would have been ideal. We love to cook and would probably cook most of our meals so a  kitchen would need to be suffiently geared for that amount of usage.

SeilerBird said:
I suggest renting an RV for a few weekends to help you figure out what you want. Buying blindly will almost always result in buying something that is not right for you.

I think you are correct.. we'll have to look at coming to the US and doing that before we jump in.

Jeninmex said:
I think you are correct.. we'll have to look at coming to the US and doing that before we jump in.

I think you've gotten sound advice here.  While waiting to arrive, though, you can go to places like the PPL website and look at prices, floorplans, etc. to help you get started on your search.  Also, depending on what part of Mexico you are in, PPL's primary location of Houston might fit into your travel plans nicely.  http://www.pplmotorhomes.com

As others have said, before you spend $80,000 or much more, take a trip north and rent an RV.  See if you love it or hate it.  Get a better feel for what you like and do not like.  Not everyone loves the RV lifestyle.  Make sure it will work for you and your young family.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Millsk
Back
Top Bottom