Would like some help deciding what kind of RV to purchase/where to find

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Charlie918

Hello. My name is Charlie. I am a traveling nurse. I am interested in experiencing the RV lifestyle and seeing the country from the ground. I need help with deciding on something used, dependable, fairly small as I will be traveling lite. Nothing I need to tow is my option. Lastly, something I can get into without alot of fuss. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I am totally new to this. Thanks.............Charlie

Welcome! Since you have no experience to rely on, I strongly suggest that you join the RV Consumer Group and take advantage of the educational materials that they supply to new members as well as the RV ratings that they give. They are the only rating group who never accepts any funding or advertising from the RV industry and so they must charge people for their service, but it is the best you will find.

You're describing a bumper pull trailer. Something small to medium size, not a lot to fail and would be pulled around by a vehicle that any car dealer or mainstream mechanic could fix and maintain. Might not be what you had in mind, but any, and I mean any, motorized RV is not dependable and does require a lot of fuss (and money).

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Welcome. Over the years we have gotten quite a few traveling nurses on here asking the same questions.
First of, fairly small will mean cramped, poor sleeping arrangments, little storage, and,zero laundry facilities. Are you sure thats what you want?
As for what works for you, thats a loaded question. I would suggest that you visit some RV dealers near by. Go sit in different types, check out stuff. Can you take a decent shower? How about a comfortable place to sit and relax after work? How about a decent permenat bed? You definitely do not want some crappy convertable bed you have to make up each day. Can you prepare a meal easily? Well you get the idea I hope.
Most think they will travel lite, but after a while cramped gets to them and they want bigger.
For me a 35 foot fifth wheel is about ideal. Built in laundry, decent bedroom, comfortable living room and a decent sized kitchen. Of course this requires a substantial truck to tow it. But there are trade offs with any RV.
Good luck

Welcome, and we can help, but we probably need a bit more information, how much of a minimalist are you? What do you need in the way of creature comforts, do you need 4 season capability (noting that in the RV world 4 seasons rating means winter in Texas, not winter in Montana) , what sort of budget are you on. Are you wanting a trailer and tow vehicle, or a motorhome /van of some type.

I ask because definitions of minimalist varies, I once had a neighbor once he retired from working for the postal service, he started hiking the Appalachian trail at the age of 70, completing the entire thing in sections over the course of several years. He would spend months preparing for the hike each year, pre-packing care packages that his wife would mail to him at pick up points along the way. This was true minimalist travel, as he would do things like cut the handles off his tooth brush to save weight. By contrast some people need a 75 pound suitcase for a weekend trip and consider themselves minimalist.

If you are planning to get a small motorhome / van and using it as a sole vehicle to both sleep in and commute to work, I would advise against it, not so much due to size, but needing to break camp every day, stow everything, disconnect from water and electric power, etc. Can it be done, yes, but dragging a small car around behind a motorhome may be a lot easier. It is one thing to travel without a TOAD car when moving from town to town every couple of days anyway, it is another to spend weeks in one place without a second vehicle.

Ike

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I guess a lot depends on where you will be staying and how much travelling you will do.

Floorplan is really going to be a key in getting something that will be fit for purpose and that you will enjoy living in.

Check out the floorplans on motorhomes and trailers on this website.....

You will see a huge variety of things there to help narrow things down. I wouldn't rule out a trailer because as Isaac says having to break camp every day may become a chore. That said many folks do it when sight seeing.

Make sure you do due diligence about inspection. There is information in our Resources section to help. Water leaks are a huge problem so you need to know how to check for those if you are not going to hire an independent inspector before you buy.

We all have different opinions as to what might work so you will get a huge variety.

Please come back and ask as much as you need to.....

Good luck.

I suggest renting a class C R for several days, you will soon discover what you like and DON'T like. That knowledge will help you decide on what to buy.

Where are you going to be traveling to....keep in mind if you are in really cold climates that an RV is difficult to keep warm plus preventing frozen water hoses, etc becomes a problem.

What truck are you planning to pull a trailer with?

I am guessing you will be traveling to a location and staying there for several weeks or months while you work, then moving on to another location for a few months. Is this correct? That seems to be what most traveling nurses I have talked to seem to do.

If this is correct, you will need a vehicle to drive back and forth to work, right? Also for traveling in the area where you are staying for a while. (It is highly unlikely a hospital will have a place to park a motorhome, even a small one. And, a Class B camper van will get tiring after a while because you will not be able to stand in many of them. Camper vans are also a lot more expensive than you think.) So, your best and cheapest bet would be pulling a trailer with a pickup truck. Do you already have a vehicle that can pull a trailer? If so, you need to see how much weight you can pull before you go out shopping.

If you are staying in one place for a while and you are a minimalist, a small trailer (17-25' long) would do. However, you need to consider what your minimal needs are--probably a comfortable place to sleep, at least one comfortable place to sit and relax, a bathroom with a shower, and a basic kitchen. I would strongly recommend something with a bed that does not have to get folded up at night and remade each morning. You do not want to come back after a long shift and have to bother with setting up your bed--you will just want to take a quick shower and collapse.

Now, if you are NOT planning to work while on the road, that is an entirely different situation.

Charlie918. Thank you for your service. Used, dependable, fairly small, nothing to tow, less fuss. Got it! Below are your choices.

550HP Diesel pusher Class A type motorhome with tag axle.

I am just joking..

Depending on your liking, you will want to get 1. Camper vans 2. Truck Campers 3. Class C motohomes (4. Class B Motorhomes)
1. Customized vans from Chevy/GMC/Ford/Dodge (G20,G30, Savanna, E250 etc). I will have a bed, may have small fridge, maybe stove. Price ranges from 3000-20000 depending on shitty to good jobs in conversion and condition. Easy camper maintenance(none), Standard vehicle handling and maintenance.
2. Truck Campers are detachable camper units attached on top of a pickup powerful enough. The camper can be left undetached while resting too. Most ameneties above will be there plus more depending on type and price. omfortable variety.
3. The usual beginer RV. Typically built on commercial van chasis like E350, E450, Kodiac etc. Price range varies very much depending on condition. These ones includes bathrooms too. Almost hotel category stay. There are small, medium,large and super-C types depending on need.
(4. Class B is a more polished type built within a hightop van like a camper van. Typically Mercedes vans etc.

Good luck with your purchase. Dont be scared to buy one but like others mentioned, rent the lowest kind from Cruise America for a weekend use and you will get a taste. Wont be good to rent for a location change as you may have to return the vehicle on same location.

This is the third forum that I've seen the same post by Charlie918 and he has not returned to any of them............. ??
Maybe he's busy working and hasn't had any opportunity to come back. Maybe he bought something who knows? Often people pop on and unfortunately never return 😕

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoeHoward
Back
Top Bottom