Wrong coolant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Was it a full system service or just topped off the reservoir? If only a top off I would not be concerned.

Please show us the partially used bottle. RV antifreeze comes in two flavors, alcohol based, and propylene gylcol based. As Gary mentioned, there is OAT, HOAT and a couple of others. The coolant recommendation is not totally up to Cummins, they recommend several different coolants as being OK to use......... however its up to the vehicle manufacturer to recommend an antifreeze based on the components they used in the cooling system, type of radiator, sensors, etc.

You really need to find out what the CHASSIS manufacturer recommends and use that.

I would highly recommend avoiding the flushes if possible. I flushed my RAM 2500 Cummins after I bought it and found someone had filled it with "green" antifreeze, which if the typical ethylene glycol based with silicates can cause problems as the silicates can precipitate out. I ended up taking a thermostat apart so that I could reinstall the thermostat disc and seal and allow for full coolant circulation. I probably ran 50 gallons of fresh water thru the system to get all of the flush out, then refilled it with a coolant compatible with the MOPAR recommended coolant (I used Zerex G05 as this is readily obtainable and cheaper than the MOPAR coolant).

Charles

I'd at least talk to the service manager and tell them what happened so they can prevent it from happening to other customers. Sounds like one of their monkeys isn't trained right and he's grabbing the "RV antifreeze" off the parts shelf.

It's weird that they just handed you a partial jug of leftover antifreeze, too. Typically they use bulk antifreeze and add water instead of using individual jugs. But given the mistake, that doesn't surprise me either.

Don't trust antifreeze color, there's too many different types now; color is irrelevant. As has been said like 4 times now, only trust what the chassis manufacturer recommends for coolant and use that. Also, "Universal" coolants are not universal!

I mostly agree but be aware that Freightliner Custom Chassis recommends against OAT-type antifreeze on their older not-so-recent chassis because the coolant sensors they used in the early 2000's have proven to be not very compatible with the OAT-type. I'm not sure when (or if) FCCC corrected that in production, but if the OP has a Freightliner chassis coach, he may want to check with FCCC Customer Service. I know OAT was NOT recommended for my 2004.
Thanks Gary - I've actually been having issues with a low coolant sensor since I go this RV a couple years ago. The check engine light/low coolant warning light comes on after a couple hours of driving even though coolant level is full. A couple times it has de-rated the engine. We've had the sensor replaced twice but the problem persists. We've been told it may be a short in wiring somewhere that is causing the false alarm. Any chance this is related to the wrong type of coolant? That seems like a long shot, but since you mentioned the coolant sensors, it got me thinking.
Thank you so much!
Dale

Thanks Gary - I've actually been having issues with a low coolant sensor since I go this RV a couple years ago. The check engine light/low coolant warning light comes on after a couple hours of driving even though coolant level is full. A couple times it has de-rated the engine. We've had the sensor replaced twice but the problem persists. We've been told it may be a short in wiring somewhere that is causing the false alarm. Any chance this is related to the wrong type of coolant? That seems like a long shot, but since you mentioned the coolant sensors, it got me thinking.
Thank you so much!
Dale
I don't know the answer to that - I'm just repeating what FCCC Factory Service told me for my 2004. I saw a report recently from someone else who got similar advice, but don't recall what year chassis is was. FCCC may be using OAT at the factory by now.

FCCC told me back in 2014 they would install an OAT coolant if I brought my own and requested to use it, but they would not provide it themselves. That was almost 10 years ago, on a coach that is now 19 years old, so things may have changed.

More recent Cummins in RV applications come filled with OAT. Per Freightliner and Cummins, when we needed to top ours off after it was leaking like a sieve (2021 B6.7, in a coach we no longer own), Fleetguard Compleat ES OAT (pink in color) was said to be the factory fill. It's the same for our 8.9. I carry a jug of 50/50 mix around just in case.

Are you checking at the recovery bottle? That is where the coolant sensor is normally located. Easy to remove, test and clean, in most cases.
Thanks Don,
Yes, checking at the recovery bottle. I haven't removed and tested the sensor myself, but after having the sensor replaced twice, and having the problem persist, it seems unlikely to be a issue with the sensor itself.

If they put RV antifreeze in the radiator the biggest problem that could crop up is lubrication for the water pump. I don't know the lubricity of the RV antifreeze or the pump design, so I really don't know. I have had to change water pumps for people that ran straight water in their radiator and the bushing/bearing didn't like that. I'd flush it out good, put in the right stuff and see what happens. The straight water people ran into problems fairly quickly.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tensch
Back
Top Bottom