Yellowstone 2016 or Bust! Forum Rally May 15 through May 21, 2016

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
John Stephens said:
Kim - Since I am new to RVing, please tell me what happens at a rally. My wife and I planned out a 90 day trip to Yellowstone and beyond for 2019 and I was seriously looking at Grizzly, so your plans for next year look appealing to me. The two things that might ward me off would be it being sooner than we had planned and earlier in the year. After seeing your picture of six feet of snow, I might balk. There is a reason why I moved to SW Florida from the Midwest.

But seriously, please clue me into what a rally is all about so we will have a better idea of whether or not it is something in which we would like to participate.

I have only been to one Rally at Moab, and what I learned is that rallies are a bunch of like minded people enjoying what they enjoy most and doing it in a group. I am signed up for a number of rallies in the coming months including this one. After we enjoyed our first rally as much as we did, we can't wait for the next.

John,

Different groups rally differently, but I can tell you what you might expect at the YNP rally.

RV Forum rallies emphasize integrating new folks in with longer term members, and sometimes longer term members have not been to a Forum rally, if that makes sense.

In my case, for this rally, the emphasis will be on getting folks the most information and experience in the short week everyone has to enjoy this vast (3,000,000 acre) national treasure.

There will be folks who gravitate towards hiking, some for touring, some for photography, some to just see what they can see. There will be some group get togethers, at least one group dinner, possibly a pot luck, and who know what other surprises.

While there will be some structure to make sure folks can enjoy this rally in groups, you are not REQUIRED to do anything you don't want. Typically there is a happy hour where folks interact, tell their story of the day, and connect with others they missed that day. Happy hour can be hit or miss because folks are out having fun, so we will have to see how that works in YNP where the daylight will seem to go on forever.

The rally actually takes own its own course as folks suggest things, group up, and then decide how they want to enjoy their day.

I think you will find that showing up is your first and only obligation, and after that, you will find a pace with folks you'll like.

You should not let the snow fool you, because that should be isolated to some of the upper elevations at that time, there may be a road closure or two in the park, but the difference at that time of the year will be the amount of people in the park itself. Single lane roads don't lend themselves to the bee-jillion tourists who come when school gets out, and that will be in your favor for crossing the park at the maximum 45 mph speed limit.

Stay with this thread and decide for yourself if these are the kind of people you want to spend some time with. The majority of the folks we travel with over the year we meet at an RV Forum rally.

We hope you can make it!

Kim

John,

Kim summed things up fairly well, but I might suggest that you look at the Quartzsite and Palo Duro rally threads in this subforum for an additional glimpse of things sort of "as they happened." The forum is used for part of the communication within the rally and also for letting others on the forum know what they're missing. We also have some folks who've hung up their keys but still want to keep up with what folks are doing, so some of the posts are also aimed in that direction.

So look up those other rally threads and follow day-by-day.

Welcome --

Eric and I are definitely interested.  We are still pondering if our TT and more importantly if our tow vehicle is up to it.  We also want to research what other stops we can fit in.  At his point we're about 75% on board.

RVForum rallies are AWESOME!!!!

Kim, John and Larry all summed it up pretty well.  My wife and I are fairly new to the group and were welcomed in with open arms, even our son was treated like one of the group in a very short time.  This really is a great group of friends which you will see within the first day.

Many group activities if you choose but if you want to go off by yourself and just take little bites of the group we understand.  Many of my co-workers still don't understand how my wife and I can have so much fun with people we just met on the internet. ;)

I must caution you though, you could potentially have so much fun and enjoy it so much they may talk you into hosting a rally of your own without you even knowing what happened. ;D

Mike.

Guys, thanks for all the info and input. It sounds to me like a rally would be right up our alley. Rally alley, never mind. We are the friendly sort, both of us having worked in guest service industries for most of our careers and we enjoy meeting new people and having new experiences. That's one of the biggest reasons we got into RVing.

I don't know if we'll be able to make a Yellowstone rally next year, but if you have another one in three or four years, count us in.

Keep an eye on this space, because there are likely to be several other rallies between now and then, also; Quartzsite and Moab, to name a couple. Plus there are often chances for mini-rallies, that is, a brief get-together of two or more for dinner or other things.

John Stephens said:
Guys, thanks for all the info and input. It sounds to me like a rally would be right up our alley. Rally alley, never mind. We are the friendly sort, both of us having worked in guest service industries for most of our careers and we enjoy meeting new people and having new experiences. That's one of the biggest reasons we got into RVing.

I don't know if we'll be able to make a Yellowstone rally next year, but if you have another one in three or four years, count us in.

One of the wiser people on the forum told me once, "RVing plans are made in jello".

Hey Kevin, I hope your following Cindy's lead.  There's just too much to see and do when limited to weekends and short vacations.  If you haven't been to Yellowstone, you're going to love it.  Nothing like trying to navigate the toad through a herd of buffalo moseying along while crossing the road in front of you. 

Gary

Toad heck, the first time we were at YNP we were arriving with a 5th wheel and our 1 ton Dodge dually. While driving up the entry road checking out the sites. Up ahead I saw what looked like a huge dark figure in a giant hat coming towards me in the other lane. It was in the shade of some trees so I couldn't make out what it was, but something told me to slow down.  So I slowed to a crawl just in time for the sunlight to hit this 2000# Bison running towards me in the opposite direction in the traffic lane!  It ran passed and kind of glanced up at me, but never slowed down.  Right then I knew this was going to be an interesting campground! 

SargeW said:
We are adjusting to make it fit as well. Looking forward to it!

Hey Sarge, How do you typically do this road trip? single destination back and forth and how long does it take you one way?

thanks
Sam

Sam:
  Since we also come from So Cal also, here's how we do it.  We leave on a Friday afternoon after work and drive to Vegas.  About 4.5 hours for us.  Saturday morning we drive from Vegas to Salt lake City.  Then Sunday Salt lake City to the park, in time for the initial meet and greet at happy hour on Sunday afternoon.  It's a lot of driving, but when you still work, it's how we roll.  Hope to see you there!

Steve

Hey! Would u guy's mind a couple of newb's? We would b leaving from Long Island, NY. We been hanging local for our first couple of months as rv'ers but are going to Ct. next week then to PA. in August and Fl. in late Sept. We may have it down pat by May 2016LOL and wont be any trouble.
Regards
Stephen

Stephen,

We certainly will welcome all newbies and you will not be alone! It is a stated goal of this rally to get folks aboard so bring your stuff and come on! You may end up getting the prize for the longest pull to the rally!

See the FAQ here for more information that we will want you to know about!

See ya in May!

Kim

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big Dog
Back
Top Bottom