You opinion of Kobalt tools?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jymbee

Looking at folding utility knives the other day at Lowe's. Most were around +/- $12 or so. Had one in my hand when I noticed a Kobalt "package" of three folding utility knives for fourteen bucks (if I remember correctly). Uh... "How bad can they be for that price?" I ask myself. So I bought them and from what I can tell they seem to be pretty sturdy with an overall good build quality.

I recall going through the same process when buying some drill sets. Kobalt had pretty complete sets of bits priced quite a bit below most others especially if you take into account the quantity. I bought them and so far so good.

Now, for all I know the bits might snap in half the next time I use them and the knives might fall apart after a few uses, but I doubt it.

They've been around for a couple decades as Lowe's in-house tool brand. I have a few things from them including a rolling tool chest that I bought in about ~2005 because it was actually fairly good quality.

These days, most power and hand tools are manufactured overseas. It used to be you'd grab a Stanley or Craftsman tool and know it was made here in the US and backed by a warranty from a US operation. Brands like Cobalt and Husky and Great Neck slowly eroded those companies market share and forced them to manufacture overseas too. Kobalt is just one more brand in a sea of generally cheap but useful tools...I'd say generally a notch up from HF stuff.

IMO Kobalt tools are like HF tools. As long as you aren’t making a living with them they will do you just fine.
Agree. I think Kobalt and Ryobi (Lowes & Home Depot house brands respectively) are step up from Harbor Freight but like you said, as long as you don't have to depend upon them as daily moneymakers, they'll be OK.

Last edited:
I have a number of Kobalt hand tools in my tool box that have lasted for years with no problems. As I recall, some of their saw products are made in Taiwan, and the power tools in China. Their hand tools though, are said to made in the US by various vendors.

In recent years I've had decent results with Kobalt hand tools, no complaints at all. Agree with the others, i.e. they are a small step above HF and suitable for home/casual use moreso than professional. I haven't purchased any of their tool cabinets & carts, but have looked them over closely and they seem excellent quality.

There used to be a Sears parts outlet and seconds store near me. I bought a really nice Craftsman standing tool box there for an insanely cheap price. It had a small dent and chip in it so it coundn't be sold as new. It was like 60% off and on a whim I lowballed it and offered like $150 less. The clerk got the manager and the manager agreed. Probably happy just to get it off his floor. Too bad the place closed a few years ago.

I agree with Oldgator. If you're not tryng to make a living with the tools, Kobalt, Husky and even a lot of Harbor Freight tools are just fine. Most of the HF hand tools have a lifetime warranty. I have an extensive collection of Ryobi battery operated tools. Last year I had to replace my 20 year old drill. One thing about the Ryobi's is the 18 volt batteries fit all their tools and cost about 1/3 the $ of the big name brand ones. You can buy a complete set of the power tools for the price of one Dewalt battery. I have bought the Ryobi 18 volt batteries in a 2 pack for $79 on sale. I also bought a HF 12 inch compound miter saw for $299. Every bit as good as the $500 Dewalt. Maybe better.

I agree with Oldgator. If you're not tryng to make a living with the tools, Kobalt, Husky and even a lot of Harbor Freight tools are just fine. Most of the HF hand tools have a lifetime warranty. I have an extensive collection of Ryobi battery operated tools. Last year I had to replace my 20 year old drill. One thing about the Ryobi's is the 18 volt batteries fit all their tools and cost about 1/3 the $ of the big name brand ones. You can buy a complete set of the power tools for the price of one Dewalt battery. I have bought the Ryobi 18 volt batteries in a 2 pack for $79 on sale. I also bought a HF 12 inch compound miter saw for $299. Every bit as good as the $500 Dewalt. Maybe better.
I bought a compressed air roofing nailer from HF about 20 years ago, so far it has nailed down 6 house roofs, without needing any attention but a few drops of air-tool oil once in a while. Not bad for $59 nail gun.
I bought a 4" angle grinder from HF, it lasted almost a year then burned up, took it back because I bought an extended warranty. No problem, they handed me a new one and took my useless one with the melted brush holder.
Kobalt and other house=brands are likely the same quality.

The biggest PITA with battery tools is committing to a battery system. At least with corded tools they all worked on the same power - LOL...

I have 4 different battery charger types on my workbench.

Other than screw guns and cordless drill for light work I still look for corded tools.

I had a heck of a time finding a 3/8" corded drill last month when my 20 year old one finally gave up.

I recently had to purchase a deep socket 1 1/8" socket. Between HD Husky Brand and Lowes Kobalt, the Kobalt was almost $4 cheaper and both we're more than capable for my use.

Just for the record, this topic is sometimes conflating company ownership with marketing partnerships. For example, Lowes actually owns the Kobalt brand and manufacturing company, but Home Depot does NOT own Ryobi. Instead, Depot has an exclusive marketing agreement with Ryobi, but Ryobi decides what to develop and sell, and you can still buy Ryobi direct on their website. Husky is somewhere in-between; it's a Black & Decker line of tools that is sold under the Husky brand name only at Home Depot stores. Depot owns the rights to the Husky brand name, but Black & Decker owns the design & manufacturing of the tools themselves. You can often by the same B&D tool under one of their other brand names at another store, perhaps at a different price or warranty. Confusing, eh?

I’ve even purchased some tools at the Dollar Store. I hate painting and cleaning up afterwards so I buy paint brushes at the Dollar Store and throw them away when I’m done. I’ve bought those little tool kits at IKEA, it has a screw driver set with bits, hammer, adjustable wrench and side cutters. I keep a set in our junk drawer.

Those dollar-store tools take the notion of cheap home-use tools to previously unknown lows. The blades on screwdrivers twist rather than turning the screw, the handles on pliers bend, and the paint brushes shed hair like my cat in summer!

I’ve even purchased some tools at the Dollar Store. I hate painting and cleaning up afterwards so I buy paint brushes at the Dollar Store and throw them away when I’m done. I’ve bought those little tool kits at IKEA, it has a screw driver set with bits, hammer, adjustable wrench and side cutters. I keep a set in our junk drawer.
A trick for paint brushes where you’re going to do several coats is to wrap them in a small trash bag and stick them in the freezer. It takes them about 5 minutes to thaw enough to use again. Then you only have to do clean up once. Works for oil or latex and rollers too. I don’t like the cheap brushes because they shed bristles onto your work.

Back
Top Bottom