Yukon Denali & Jayco Jay Flight SLX travel trailer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elscootro

Hi!

I just moved this from the newcomers section since these appears to be the appropriate venue...

We have a 2021 Yukon Denali. The max towing capacity is 8,200#, which I've been told means almost nothing. The GCWR is 14,500# and the GVWR is 7,500#, so if I understand things correctly, a good starting place for how much we can tow is about 7,000# max. We are planning to embark on a summer tour of the US.

We are looking at a Jay Flight SLX 267BHS, which is 5,840# unloaded and has a GVWR of 7,000# and has a travel length of 30'4".

We're also looking at a Jay Flight SLX 264BH, which is 4,690# unloaded and has a GVWR of 6,000# and has a travel length of 29'5".

If we're careful about loading the Yukon and the trailer, do you think we can pull the 267BHS? The extra space could be invaluable on a long road trip.

Fire away!

Thanks in advance.

It is doable but I don't think you will be happy with the experience. By the time you fill the vehicle with wife, kids, dog and load the roof carrier you will be pushing the limits especially in the mountains. Err on the side of caution

Ignore empty weights.

Look at the yellow sticker on the drivers door latch post. What does the it say the payload capacity is? A 7000 lb trailer will put at least 700 lbs on the hitch.

With the loaded up tow vehicle you may be over loaded.

How many people,dogs,etc in the yukon  and their weights. Look at the yellow decal drivers side between the front and rear doors (b pillar)  it will tell you max cargo weight. Thats i big sail behind the Yukon which is the next question - long or short wheelbase

I owned a YukonXL, and I can say, if you get over 24' or 6000# loaded, you will regret it.  And if you have a short wheelbase Yukon, even less.  What does your carry capacity (aka Payload) say in the yellow sticker in Drivers door.  I bet that Denali is dismal.  No disrespect, I researched hard in the GMC line-up prior to buying my new truck, and the numbers and towing abilities just weren't there.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

SpencerPJ, the yellow sticker says ""the combined weight of occupants and cargo should not exceed 1,396".

The gray sticker says:
GVWR 7,500#
GCWR 14,500#
RGAWR 4,300#
Curb Weight 6,104#
Max payload 1,396#

Thanks all!

elscootro said:
Thanks everyone for the feedback.

SpencerPJ, the yellow sticker says ""the combined weight of occupants and cargo should not exceed 1,396".

The gray sticker says:
GVWR 7,500#
GCWR 14,500#
RGAWR 4,300#
Curb Weight 6,104#
Max payload 1,396#

Thanks all!

Now, add up the cargo. You, your wife, kids, pets, luggage, tools, cooler etc.
Add to it the tongue weight of your trailer. You must have at least 10% of the trailer weight on the tongue or the trailer will sway out of control and you will crash. We usually say to use the trailer GVWR for this calculation since people tend to load up the trailer more than they think they will.
Add 100lbs for hitch etc.

If the total is less than 1396, you are good to go. 10% less would have a better safety margin though.

My Yukon XL had payload at 1600# and it did not like my measly 21' TT, suspension was a bit too soft imo.  I know that Denali probably has the 6.2 which has plenty of power, the 10 speed that will be fine, it's the short wheelbase that will not play nicely, and the luxury vs truck suspension that starts getting dicey.  Even if you get a trailer loaded at 6000#, realistically, that will be close to 800# payload, add 100# wdh, that's 900.  1396-900 = 500# available payload left.  How heavy is your family and belongings.  How well will that Yukon do maxed out? I'll stand by my original statement, you get over 24' or really over 5500# loaded, you will not have fun pulling it with a Yukon.  I currently would own a brand new YukonXL today if I felt it would have been acceptable over the F150 supercrew Lariat I bought, for my trailer, that is nothing as big as you are looking at.  Glad you are doing your homework.  Car or especially RV dealerships are NOT the place to get advise, they will get you upside down in a flash.  Good luck, I hope you find the perfect trailer that your Yukon does well with and meets your families needs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CampMike2270
Back
Top Bottom