Zion crowds, any advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Peggyy

So after six months of planning here we are in Moab headed tomorrow for Zion. We are hearing from fellow campers around us That zion is so crowded There could be a three hour wait just to get into the visitor center area? The shuttle will be standing room only. That does not sound like fun. So should we just skip the shuttle and do the drive through zion on the road with the tunnel? Advice appreciated.

We visited Zion in 2000, there weren’t the crowds you’re describing. No it doesn’t sound fun. That tunnel is tricky but very cool.
I don’t remember if you have a toad here’s what NPS says:

And another source

We always use Tripadvisor for the reviews about attractions:

I can suggest a tamer park in the same general area, well it used to be. Pretty spectacular and gets you close to Zion as well:

Coral Pink Sand Dunes State Park

I have been to Zion several times, including one time in July, and have never seen those kinds of crowds. I wonder if those people's experiences were due to Spring/Easter break? April should be a calm month, and busy, though I cannot imagine a three-hour wait for the shuttles. If there are crowds, take the shuttles early or wait until late afternoon.

Also, if you have bikes, there is a bike trail that goes from Town to Zion Lodge hotel in park, and after that you can ride on roadway because only shuttles allowed.

I've been to Zion many times (the last was two months ago) and yes it can be extremely crowded. The problem is the park itself is only 14 miles from gate to gate and the only parking area for the most part is the visitor center. There are very few spots to pull off and just take in the view. You don't say where you are camping but if at all possible you might want to leave the trailer outside of the park. It will give you a bit more freedom of movement. If you want to see Zion Canyon then this time of year about the only choice you will have is the shuttle and you will need to take your patience pill before you get there. I was fortunate enough on this last visit to get to ride the canyon (motorcycle) which I haven't been able to do for twenty years, it is a beautiful trip. By now you're already there so I hope everything is working out for you.

You can drive around the back side of Zion - Kolob canyon area. It's very nice and probably less crowded.

Ha, the rangers stretch those tunnel rules. When we drove through in our 60' long rig with a 13.6' high 40'5er, we were directed to pull into a small waiting ares first. Then when there were 3 big rigs there, the rangers stopped traffic and directed us to straddle the center line all the way through the tunnel at 15MPH.

Back
Top Bottom