RV Pirates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
V

Valery

Hello,

This is going to sound a little odd, but I'm serious. I'm curious about problems in the RV parks with unsavory types, bothering people.  I have this idea of "RV Pirates" in my head, lol, which is almost certainly ridiculous.  But I'm wondering if there exists that sort of problem, in general?

Please forgive this question if it is indeed ridiculous.  I know almost nothing about this life, at this point. 

In over 30 years of RVing, I haven't seen or heard of such problems in RV parks or campgrounds.

Tom said:
In over 30 years of RVing, I haven't seen or heard of such problems in RV parks or campgrounds.

That is good to learn.  Thank you.  And again, apologies for strange question, if it was.

Like any other venue, I'm sure there are some disreputable areas where the park might be subject to unsavory types. I know of one RV park in the heart of a town that put up a chain link fence and a night time gate guard because of numerous problems with non-RVers roaming through at night.  The vast majority of RV parks, though, are just the opposite. a safe and quiet oasis.  In our 25+ years of RVing experience, all over the USA and Canada, we've rarely even had a concern, let alone a problem.

Gary [ RVer Emeritus] said:
Like any other venue, I'm sure there are some disreputable areas where the park might be subject to unsavory types. I know of one RV park in the heart of a town that put up a chain link fence and a night time gate guard because of numerous problems with non-RVers roaming through at night.  The vast majority of RV parks, though, are just the opposite. a safe and quiet oasis.  In our 25+ years of RVing experience, all over the USA and Canada, we've rarely even had a concern, let alone a problem.

This is helpful; thank you.  :)

Like Gary, we have never had anything happen in a campground beyond obnoxious neighbors or barking dogs in 35 years of camping. We did feel uncomfortable enough one time 30 years ago to leave an isolated campground where we were the only campers, and we had one time where someone in a very expensive Class A tried to steal a $2 water faucet divider. I do know of a campground in my town that has a very unsavory reputation, but it is full of long-term broken down trailers. It isn't a place you would stay at anyway; the reviews are awful, and if you drove by you would just keep going. I am much more comfortable camping than I am in a motel.

UTTransplant said:
Like Gary, we have never had anything happen in a campground beyond obnoxious neighbors or barking dogs in 35 years of camping. We did feel uncomfortable enough one time 30 years ago to leave an isolated campground where we were the only campers, and we had one time where someone in a very expensive Class A tried to steal a $2 water faucet divider. I do know of a campground in my town that has a very unsavory reputation, but it is full of long-term broken down trailers. It isn't a place you would stay at anyway; the reviews are awful, and if you drove by you would just keep going. I am much more comfortable camping than I am in a motel.

Thank you for this.  It seems as though my worries about RV Pirates are unfounded and I'm relieved to know it.  I appreciate the reply and information.  :)

That's funny about the expensive RV owning thief. 

Used to tent camp, so no possible way to lock it.  Just kept valuables out of site and relied on the integrity of most people.  Turns out while we were away kayaking or fishing, neighbors always kept an eye on things.  Never had any problems or anything taken.

Kzoo said:
Used to tent camp, so no possible way to lock it.  Just kept valuables out of site and relied on the integrity of most people.  Turns out while we were away kayaking or fishing, neighbors always kept an eye on things.  Never had any problems or anything taken.

Seems similar to people on the beach respecting others' belongings while they're in the water, away. 

I like your RV picture; looks much like what I'm envisioning.  I've no idea what we'll end up with, but yours, from the picture, is what I think about, size and age. 

Tom said:

Not sure just how many years I've been in RV's conting my trailers but 30 is close.. First time out with the first PUP we got ripped off. Theives took our cooler... I did not let it ruin the trip, bought a new cooler, new stuffing and we continued... I did, nowever, lock up the cooler at night. (Hartwick Pines, Michigan State Park).

Since then Well.. Where I am now when I pulled in there was one camper who had no car, So he was always bothering folks for a Ride.. Well.. I'm Solo and no job so he and I and the park manager worked out a deal.. I was his chauffer. he paid well so I'm not complaining, back then I still needed the cash.

Then there was another after him, he got in a fight with another camper.. Management is still trying to figure out why.. He was invited to leave......

We have been in parks (one in particular) where boy/girl friends get into some serious fights but other than the next door site not many are bothered and they too are invited to park elsewhere... Once they get out of jail.

All in all.. Well.. I had far worse issues when I had a Sticks and Bricks,, Far, Far, Far, worse.
(House next door got ventelated one day.. Lots of nice small .38" holes.. And since nobody was home to get hurt, they firebombed it just AFTER I left).

Footnote.. when you talk about Pirates.. I"m reminded of a true story... Aquentence of mine used to be named Heather.. (Now named Alexander but that is another story)

She wrote a song, IN the Celtic tradtion (March of Cambreth)  Most folks think it is a old Celitic (Public Domain) song but no, The author is very much alive and holds copyright.

Well a group recorded it,  THEN they found out it was copyrighted.. They are a "Pirate" Music group (Meaning they dress like Pirates, Eye patchs, A RRRRRR A lot, that kind of thing ye maties) so they sent her a letter, she sent them a contract.

Then they did  a release and sent her another letter

"Our Lawyers say the first license does not cover the re-mix, So we need another"

Pirates with Lawyers... Now that's scary.

Agree with all the previous comments.  That said, it always pays to be observant whether in a campground, a rest area, or a Wal-Mart parking lot.  If you see something that makes you uncomfortable, pack up and leave or report it if you can.  I recall one museum where a crowd of male youths were loitering.  They may have been just fine, but we kept going because we didn't feel comfortable in that place and at that time.

ArdraF

Thinking about it... the only time I recall having a problem at a campground was 40 years ago. Camping with dad and extended family. Somehow, sometime during the weekend, a chain saw that was sitting under the camper grew legs and vanished.

That's about it.

One of the first times I took my son tent camping, a neighbor's tent was broken into by a bear.  Actually the bear just ripped a hole in the side and helped himself to whatever he wanted.  Based on my limited years of tent camping and now RVing, I'd say there's a greater chance of being ripped off by a bear than a pirate.   

ArdraF said:
Agree with all the previous comments.  That said, it always pays to be observant whether in a campground, a rest area, or a Wal-Mart parking lot.  If you see something that makes you uncomfortable, pack up and leave or report it if you can.  I recall one museum where a crowd of male youths were loitering.  They may have been just fine, but we kept going because we didn't feel comfortable in that place and at that time.

ArdraF

Totally Agree ArdraF.

Situational Awareness. Take a Good Look Around You.. And Act Accordingly. What's a matter with this picture ?

One of our favorite campgrounds hosts a Pirate Weekend.  There's a group of about 50 people in a group area who dress like nautical pirates and once a day thay have a parade through the campground.  No real swords but great wenches!

Been into RV's 50+ years(I found photographic proof...a pic of my dad and I by our '64 Aristocrat Land Commander)and haven't had but one incident.
We had our toad stolen in MS at a campground on the Natchez Trace Parkway.  They woke my wife up trying to get into the m/h before they split in the Jeep.
3 weeks later when the Jeep was recovered, I found out that it wasn't local people who stole it, but a couple on the run from a murder charge in Ohio who were hiding along the Parkway.  Simply a wrong place, wrong time deal. 
If my wife hadn't had to have shoulder surgery this winter, I was planning to stop at the same park on the way to Florida this year.  I figure it'll never happen twice in the same spot, right?

Valery,
Relax. The vast majority of those who camp are respectful people. It's almost like an unwritten law to watch over our "neighbors". Even if a spoken word was never uttered.
Reason being is because any one of us could be the next victim. At any time. But if you know your neighbors are keen to the same surroundings, and their stuff is just as vulnerable, it's just our way of protecting each other.

Pretty cool, right?  :) 

And now for something completely different:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSO9OFJNMBA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNlYBNTCBG8

Sorry, but I couldn't help myself.

denmarc said:
Valery,
Relax. The vast majority of those who camp are respectful people. It's almost like an unwritten law to watch over our "neighbors". Even if a spoken word was never uttered.
Reason being is because any one of us could be the next victim. At any time. But if you know your neighbors are keen to the same surroundings, and their stuff is just as vulnerable, it's just our way of protecting each other.

Pretty cool, right?  :)

Yes, that is awesomely cool.  :)

I will be happy to watch over my neighbors' places and much appreciate that.  ? You know, I?ve noticed, when camping with kids (when they were younger), that ?RV people? always seem so friendly and generally happy.  I was just saying to my husband, ?There has to be a reason RV people are so freaking happy.?  :)

Old_Crow said:
Been into RV's 50+ years(I found photographic proof...a pic of my dad and I by our '64 Aristocrat Land Commander)and haven't had but one incident.
We had our toad stolen in MS at a campground on the Natchez Trace Parkway.  They woke my wife up trying to get into the m/h before they split in the Jeep.
3 weeks later when the Jeep was recovered, I found out that it wasn't local people who stole it, but a couple on the run from a murder charge in Ohio who were hiding along the Parkway.  Simply a wrong place, wrong time deal. 
If my wife hadn't had to have shoulder surgery this winter, I was planning to stop at the same park on the way to Florida this year.  I figure it'll never happen twice in the same spot, right?

Yikes, that sounds terrifying. 

But I can see how it wasn't really about you being in an RV, just as you said, wrong place and wrong time. 

Glad you both came out of it okay, though.  :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CampMike2270
Back
Top Bottom