RV Pirates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Last year, my family and I were camping in our Class C in an isolated campground near Flagstaff, Arizona. Nearby, there we several young men camping. They were drinking. In the middle of the night, my wife told me several of them were hollering and laughing around our motorhome and were knocking on our windows. I have Tinnitus and loss of hearing, so I did not hear a thing. My wife told me that the next morning, and I was furious. I carry a gun and would not have taken it lightly, which is why she said she did not tell me. We left immediately at the break of dawn so that I would not confront them.

I have not been a victim, but I have heard of many. Many times it seems as though beach campgrounds that are not secure seem to have the most problems.  It usually revolves around theft of everything from coolers (beer) to the much more costly, generators.  A few I have been it have had signs posted saying not to leave your generator outside at night, even when chained up. 

It doesn't happen a lot, but it does happen, so be aware.  Sometimes the simple act of locking the storage bays at night will deter the casual thief. 

Yo ho ho and a bottle of LP,

I tend to do searches on RV Campground Reviews, I was just looking the other day and a higher end campground in Tucson, AZ was having problems with kids knocking on RV windows at night. This might be a result of a number of residents are living there and young kids are residents there. I'd say this is one case out of hundreds. I am sure sooner or later they will get caught and the problem addressed. Other than a lost of sleep, no real harm there from the sound of it.

Like others have said just be aware of your surroundings and keep an eye out for Klingon's on bicycles sipping their micro brew! ;) ;D

I just went to the big, yearly RV show in Little Rock.  The real RV Pirates were the ones in slacks and golf shirts with name tags around their necks.  AAARRRRGGGH!

Old_Crow said:
I just went to the big, yearly RV show in Little Rock.  The real RV Pirates were the ones in slacks and golf shirts with name tags around their necks.  AAARRRRGGGH!

Same in Quartzite Arizona.

On one of our Travels we went to a Big RV show in Hershey, Pa a few years back. The Polo Shirt & Slacks guyz'n gal'z were like Fly's.. In yer face. We left after about two hours, and haven't been to an RV Show since.  :(

They were even out in the parking lots Hawking their stuff.  ::)

One time many years ago, we were in the process of moving while in the military and drove our motorhome to Omaha, Nebraska. Our new base quarters were not yet ready so we had to live in the Winnebago for about 3 weeks but I had to leave on a trip with the military for a week.  The city park in which we were camped was deserted but just before I left a whole crew of Gyspy roofers pulled in with several trailers and many people.  They were parked just about 100 feet from us.  I got wary of the situation so I asked the park ranger if he would keep an eye on my wife and kids and make sure the Gypsies minded their business. Turned out there was no problem and they were pretty nice folks.  Didn't hurt that our 120 lb German Shepard was camped right outside our door at night.

Bill

I see you already have many replys and actually your concern was one of mine before we started. After about 5 years we have had no problems. Go for it.

I've been fulltiming 24/7 for over 7 years in my little old rig. I love the outdoors and always have a ton of stuff scattered about outside.

I lock up the bicycle but everything else is there for the grabbing. So far nobody grabs anything. I meet lots of nice folks. I also meet plenty of folks that aren't friendly but they aren't bothering anybody either.

The only pirate I've met was a long-term woman in a park I was short-terming in. She was a part time employee. She would come over and borrow things. It was annoying and whatever she borrowed never came back or was much worse for wear.

She asked for Duck tape. I loaned her a brand new huge $10 roll. The next day I needed it back and asked for it. She handed me a different roll that had about 3 feet left on it. She asked for coffee and I poured her a cup but she wanted coffee to go make her own. So I gave her coffee from my can and she asked for filters. I gave her a few. A few days later she came over to announce I didn't give her enough filters and she was out.

I so wanted rid of this pirate! She took off with my dog one day and I got hopping mad at her. I like my dog, he was not up for adoption. He was sitting on his tether minding his own business when she decided to "walk" him when I dashed inside to find a ringing phone. I came back out and  about had a heart attack when I saw my doggy gone. There she was... walking down the street with him.

That afternoon she asked to borrow my hair dryer. I told her I did not have a hair dryer. She began screaming at me saying she KNEW I had a hair dryer since my hair was long. Well I explained to her, I didn't have a hair dryer, never have. She came back every hour for about 4 hours asking to borrow a hair dryer.

At this point I went to the office and asked for a refund so I could leave. They didn't give refunds, but I explained all the problems I was having with their employee and frankly I was sick and tired of answering my door every few minutes to hand out whatever she demanded.

At first they promised me they would take care of the problem. But the next day she was pounding on my door demanding to know why I got her in trouble. I mean I love the outdoors, but I had given up sitting outside because she was always there yacking away and borrowing stuff. She also asked for a hair dryer again.

Good grief.

I went back to the office, got a refund and left.

That's the only pirate I've met!

Mermaid, I would have been a bit aggravated with the first half of your post. But if I saw someone walking down the road with my pet, all bets are off!

I commend you for keeping your composure. I know of no one else who wouldn't have gone off the deep end. That woman has some serious issues and took advantage of you.

My hat is off to you. Thank you for being such a good and thoughtful person.

Only had our camper two years now. But through our searches for nice spots to pull into, we've found that we prefer state campgrounds. They are well patrolled, clean, don't allow long term campers, (which is where we noticed less desirable neighbors). Many private owned campgrounds depend on those long term/seasonal campers for the income they need for year to year operations. But along with that come, run down trailers, additions of decks, fences, older trailers, dogs etc ! Have pulled out of 2 private campgrounds in the night due to shady campers/neighbors. We were in one here in Indiana that has weekend "rock concerts", guess what comes with that ? Never had an issue in state run campgrounds. 

Little sugar ants are the biggest RV pirates out there. They march in and eat your pets food and ruin your 14 dollar jar of coconut oil and honestly I would prefer a crazy lady knocking on my door every day like mermaid had than those darn little ants.

rvannie23 said:
Little sugar ants are the biggest RV pirates out there. They march in and eat your pets food and ruin your 14 dollar jar of coconut oil and honestly I would prefer a crazy lady knocking on my door every day like mermaid had than those darn little ants.

I dunknow... it's a bit easier to get away with poisoning ants.  ::)

Not sure what's worse, ants or those darn lady bugs.  I was at an RV show last weekend, and there were ladybugs in a brand new coach.

Back
Top Bottom