Why do guys do that?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nothing wrong with that Irv.  I'm sure not going to stop wearing one cuz someone thinks it's wrong.  If I did everything perfect all the women would want me but I like it the way it is and none of them want me, including my wife.  Saves arguing.  Besides everything that occurs on this earth offends someone someplace. So live and let live.  But stand and remove your cap for the Flag, Anthem, and pray.  So if I'm wrong  heck I've been wrong before and will be again.

Ronda....., who we welcomed recently,  gives a STRONG opnion on a "life style choice" and gets us all TALKING and LAUGHING,  and, having fun with our own opinions regarding this life style choice. Why... why, let's call this a FORUM.

Oh, and I do and don't "take my hat off to eat"..... somehow I make that deceision on a daily basis as I go, BUT, I thought all the looks I've been getting were about "another bad habit" (having to do with the nose)....  Sooooo, I'll give this some thought!

Mr. Bojangles  ;D

Take you hat off and put it on the table.  Someone is sure to tell you to get it off the table, then you can put it back on again :D

wow- I must have touched a nerve. You guys are really hung up with your hats- and there's nothing wrong with that. I didn't mean to suggest ignorance of manners- obviously you all know that you are flaunting proper manners and you do it anyway. So I guess that answers my question.

Now, lets talk about elbows on the table......

R

Rhonda 2 said:
Wear their ball caps in a indoors while eating or in a bar? Last night at appleby's- I look around and see 4 guys sitting with the wives/ family/girlfriend- and they had their ball cap on. One idiot even had his turned around. Are they just ignorant- do they just not care, or is it to cover a bald spot. And what about the women? do they know?

WOW, I missed this somehow!

I don't wear ball caps much but my 8 year old son does and he knows he is forbidden to wear the hat anyway except front facing.
Most of the kids I see wearing their caps with the bill facing somewhere besides the front are just followers and wanna bees, taking the lead of some ill-placed idol that has no clue himself. They have little sense of self-identity and are just trying to associate themselves to someone or a lifestyle that they admire. 
On the other side of the coin, why in the world do you young girls esp, wear those tops that miss covering your naval by a good three inches and THEN constantly tug at the bottom of it keeping it pulled down???????

I see them all the time tugging downward at a shirt top that is purposely too short, why bother, you wanted to show off your naval now quit trying not to. ;D

I was also taught to remove my hat indoors -- first from my parents then reinforced when I joined the Marine Corps.  But I've also been taught to be tolerant.  This, IMO, is no big deal so as the saying goes........"Don't sweat the small stuff".

Ediquite is not in a campers vocabulary.  I've been camping since a youngster when old enough to join the Boy Scouts.  You're polite and courteous to people and believe in God.  I'm going to go on record right now that if someone [puts their elbows on the table that's their business, cuz there must be a reason.  I sure as hell won[t correct them.  Most of our meals when camping  even with the MH or oustside, without a table.  But I sit down and feel there is  a reason to place my elbows on the table so be it.    As stated before, lots of things went out the window with the likes of Dirty Jazz and the Beetles era.  If you want to dictate etiquette try charm school.  Manners are used when deserved and needed, but sure as hell isn't needed nor deserved when Camping. I'm probably wrong again, but that's me, always for the underdog.

I'm of the old school and still prefer that men remove their hats when indoors as a courtesy.  There is an important exception.  Many of you older Forumites will remember the Erlichs who did a nice job educating many of us (especially Monaco owners) about the fact that Jews keep their hats on indoors and to pray because they believe it is disrespectful to have an uncovered head.  Many of the etiquette rules were devised when we were a more homogeneous and insular society, so it was easier to teach what was or was not "proper."  With today's more heterogeneous society comprised of immigrants from many nations with different cultural values, it's important for all of us to be more tolerant of different ways of doing things.

On the other hand, the comments about the wannabes following the idols is right-on.  Some of our youths' so-called role models are uncouth, ill-mannered, rude, loud, behave in an intimidating manner, and a whole bunch of other negative things.  Personally, I'm glad to see that some parents are still trying to teach their kids some manners and nice behavior when they're in public.

Jerry usually removes his hat inside because that's what he was taught to do and because I like it.  His solution to the "where to put it" problem is to tuck it in the back of his pants.  That way he always has it with him, but not on his head or a place where it will be lost.  Some of you guys may remember that Jim Rockford of the Rockford Files show on TV always tucked his gun in the backside of his pants.  I suspect that's where Jerry got the idea for his hat.  I was taught that ladies shouldn't put their purses on the table either, but I find myself putting things on the table anyway for the same reason - I don't want to forget them.  When sightseeting we usually put the camera, his hat, and other "stuff" on the table and I know Mother's looking down chiding me for doing it.  ;)

By the way, ladies, don't go putting your baseball cap in the back of your pants.  I once found it necessary to fish one out of a toilet because I forgot it was there.  Guys have that aspect easier than us!

ArdraF

Shayne said:
I'm probably wrong again, but that's me, always for the underdog.

I sure don't think so Shayne. You're someone I would call a gentleman when met in person, in addition to someone who gives us a lots of laughs around here. Heck, I take my hat off to anyone who figured out how to leave the missus at Flying J.

Agreed Ron. As you and I both know, one is expected to remove one's shoes before entering someone's home or a restaurant in Japan. You learn to wear slip-on shoes very quickly  ;D

Tom said:
I sure don't think so Shayne. You're someone I would call a gentleman when met in person, in addition to someone who gives us a lots of laughs around here. Heck, I take my hat off to anyone who figured out how to leave the missus at Flying J.

I agree.  I don't think Shayne will ever live that little event down.  Why I understand the event may even be put to words and music. :D

Tom said:
Agreed Ron. As you and I both know, one is expected to remove one's shoes before entering someone's home or a restaurant in Japan. You learn to wear slip-on shoes very quickly  ;D

Also one is expected to slurp their noodles when eating udon. :D

BTW Ron, I really have a tough time on a tatami mat. One very nice restaurant brought out the equivalent of a stadium seat for me (with a back). Made it much more doable for me.

Tom said:
BTW Ron, I really have a tough time on a tatami mat. One very nice restaurant brought out the equivalent of a stadium seat for me (with a back). Made it much more doable for me.

I found the Japanese try very hard to accomodate visitors what have difficulty with the tatami mats.

Back
Top Bottom