toad braking system's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sid

what  are  your  suggestion's  for  the  best  braking  system  for  the tow-car.    towing  a  2002  tracker......thanking  you  all  in  advance.  sid

See this article in our library for a discussion of the different braking systems.  While specific makes and models are mentioned in the article, they are representative only.  Each type has several different manufacturers available.  There is no best solution.

Lots of choices and [in my opinion] not a whole lot of reasons to choose one over the other. They all work reasonably well if properly installed and set up, but you may have a preference as to hook-ups, permanent mount vs portable, etc.

And if you have a non-air brake motorhome, it probably makes more sense to go with a unit that does not require a coach air supply. But even that is not  clear call, since most offer an auxiliary compressor to mount in a non-air coach.

If you have a coach with air brakes, the Brakemaster system is simple and easy to install and relatively inexpensive if purchased online. If not, a Brake Buddy is a popular choice. Unified Tow Brake and SMI Air Force One and M&G are some other popular choices.

Roamer,
When we went to Fl to pick up our 34' MH we drove the 07 Yaris, 2,200lbs soaking wet. Its not set up yet to be a toad so we put it on a dolly for the trip back. Now I have to say that I hardly knew the thing was even back there as the rear cam was not working and all I could see through the rear view mirror was the scanner antenna sticking up. Wouldn't a brake system on this rig be a little bit overkill? This car as a toad would only be 12% of the GVWT of the MH. I think the tracker is in the same weight class, fly weight!

Sid,

We all have our favorite. :) I towed two Grand Vitaras using the M&G system. I now have it on my Dodge Dakota. The only problem with it is if you change toads frequently. The cylinders are made for each vehicle. There is a swap out policy where they'll take your old cylinder in trade. Staying with the same make/model vehicle usually negates that problem but not always.

Tweak,

2200 lbs isn't a lot of weight but I think some states may have requirements for an auxiliary braking system if the toad is over 1500lbs. Someone else may know for sure. I think Canada was that way and changed to a percentage of the motor coach weight. In any case having a system will help stop both vehicles quicker in an emergency situation.

I have used the Brake Buddy and didn't feel it did a thing for me plus it was a paint to hook up as well as store when not using.  The transmitter never did work correctly.

I now have an M&G braking system and love it, positive braking (as opposed to inertial) and it hooks up instantly.  The only thing to store is a MH to Toad air line.  My Brother-in-Law liked it so much he installed it on his Toad which required an Air Compressor for his MH (the MH has hydraulic brakes), it took less than 3 hours for he and I to install the cylinder on the Toad and the air compressor on the MH, not bad for two old men.

Definitely the M&G, there is nothing mounted in the cab of the Toad.

We have a Blue Ox Apollo, similar to the Brake Buddy, and if your BB wasn't working then it wasn't adjusted correctly.  We have ours set to activate only in hard stops and not in normal stops and the remote indicator tells us every time it activates.  I don't find it that much of a problem to set up, takes <5 minutes to install, and most of that time is waiting for the compressor to build up the 120psi pressure.  It stores in the back seat for short stays, and in a bay for longer stays.  We've used it in 2 different vehicles and no modification of the towed was required in either case.  The hardest part of the installation is running the wires for the breakaway switch through the firewall to the drivers seat location, and that's done once per vehicle.

My personal preference is for a brake that doesn't require modifying the towed vehicle's brake system and the possible problems that could cause if done incorrectly.

Tweak

Most coach chassis today are rated for braking only the GVWR of the coach. So, for example, if your coach's GVWR was 25,000#s and it weighs loaded in traveling mode 24,000#s, then you would be overweight pulling the 2,200# Yaris.

Ron and Ned, sorry I stepped on your toes.  I was relating my exerience and opinion only, did not intend to slam your or anybodies braking systems.  As far as blaming my disappointment with the Brake Buddy as being unable to adjust it properly is an assumption on your part.

We bought a Roadmaster BrakePro and it was the biggest piece of junk I've ever bought. The full story is reported elsewhere in the forum, but I replaced that boat anchor with an M&G air brake system and haven't looked back since. IMO the BP had a design issue and I see that they've since replaced it with a different design they call EvenBrake.

In some respects, I'm glad we were forced to change to the M&G; There's nothing to store, takes a few seconds to hook up, and there's nothing in the way if we need to hop in the driver's seat of the toad.

I have no doubt that, if we'd first bought a Brake Buddy instead of the BrakePro, we'd still have it and wouldn't be aware of the ease of use and less hassle of the M&G.

If the unit was adjusted properly and still didn't work correctly, then it was faulty and returned to Brake Buddy for repair.

Wouldn't a brake system on this rig be a little bit overkill? This car as a toad would only be 12% of the GVWT of the MH. I think the tracker is in the same weight class, fly weight!

Tweak,
Can you ever have too much braking? It takes a long time to stop any motorhome, so anything that helps it stop sooner is goodness.

Most gas chassis motorhomes will have a statement in the owner manual requiring an auxiliary brake when towing more than 1500 lbs. And state towing laws vary but some have quite low limits at which brakes are required. 2000 lbs is not unusual.

And  Tracker 4 door or Suzuki Grand Vitara weighs in at more than 3100 lbs (and recent years are more like 3700). The 2 door model is a bit less.

tweak said:
Wouldn't a brake system on this rig be a little bit overkill? This car as a toad would only be 12% of the GVWT of the MH. I think the tracker is in the same weight class, fly weight!

Not overkill but the lack of auxiliary toad breaking could kill.  Just one ding-a-ling stomping on his breaks right in front of you, one deer jumping out in front of you, or one child darting out in front of you could lead to serious consequences that could possibly be avoided if auxiliary toad breaks are installed and operational.  Additionally they could very well be required in some states you might be traveling.

KodiakRV said:
There is a column in this table that shows what each state requires as far as brakes on towed cars.

That table isn't entirely correct as to cars. In many cases towing requirements are applicable to trailers, not towed cars. I asked a CHP last year who was a presenter at the Western Area FMCA rally in Indio, CA about towed brake requirements in California and he emphatically stated that California has none. Trailer yes, car no.

Yet CA treats anything being towed as a trailer for purposes of the speed limit, including cars.

I don't think I would take the word of one CHP officer.  Best to check else where too like the DMV and if possible get it in writting.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GreenLantern33
Back
Top Bottom