GPS map updates - How often?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dvsmith86

How often - if ever - do you purchase a map update for your GPS?

I bought a "refurbished" Garmin that has maps at least a couple years old.  It will cost as much to update the maps as I paid for it.  For the cost of a couple updates, I can purchase a new low-end unit.  Hence the question.

Thanks for your input and comments,
Doug & Vicki

We update every year.  When Garmin lowered the update price from $150 to $75 it made it more palatable.  Some people update every other year but we like to have the latest maps and POIs available.

We haven't updated for a few years since Garmin/Navtec do not do a good job of updating/correcting errors IMHO.  The only advantage an update may or may not include new streets in an area.

We generally give it serious consideration when we're getting ready for an extended trip where up-to-date maps are more essential.  For example, when we went to Newfoundland Garmin had just expanded and updated their Canadian maps so we updated them and were very glad we did because the others were only useful around metropolitan areas.  It just depends on how old our current ones are and whether we feel the need to update.  Perhaps being fulltimers like Ned and traveling year-round would make us do it more often.  Also, if you're going to a high-growth area where there are new roads that might necessitate a change.

ArdraF

With so many interstates getting their exits renumbered over the past few years, we've been updating annually. Maine even moved their piece of I95 to an entirely different highway back in 04 - through us for a loop!

But if the maps are good for the areas you travel in regularly, there is no big need to update.

If you own a Garmin Nuvi, you might be eligible for a FREE map update.  I just checked on-line with our 2 year old Nuvi 260W, and found there was ONE free update.  Ours went from a 2007 map to the Garmin 2009 map FREE.  ;D

I just got the free update for my Garman Nuvi. Received the 2009 map, but there are still not road changes that were built in 2007.

Tony

That's a standard Garmin policy, you get the next version after purchase free.  The maps will be the same in any GPS that uses the same source, and most of the manufacturers use Navteq.  This isn't something unique to Garmin.

It's a sad facts that GPS road updates lag far behind construction and smaller changes/corrections may take several years to appear. It's even worse with POI updates.

At least there are 3rd party sources for POI files that can be uploaded to many of the current generation of GPS units.  These are usually more up to date than the manufacturer supplied versions and are maintained by volunteers to keep them current.

I have a 2007 200w and when I tried to get a free update I was told I would have to pay. How did you get your for free?

GPS map updates - How often?
A very good question, actually I've been thinking about this for some time. Two years back I purchased a Garmin Street Pilot i5 (it was a discontinued model but I wasn't aware of that) so was depending on it to get me to places. Needles to say it was an absolute disaster and I reverted to the old standby of stopping and ask directions. I contacted Garmin and the jackass rep I got was was worse that the i5 (at this time I still didn't know the map was out of date) I gave the Garmin away to my son who finds it has limited use in his city.
I  bought a Tom Tom XL330 last fall, and there was a map guarantee along with it. The map was up to date until the free update period run out  ::) then shortly there was a new map available. So considering where I'm going I believe the map will be fine. Now at this time there has been quite a drop in the price of the new map so I suspect there will be another following this sale shortly.

So my decision about maps is this:
I won't update this units maps, because in a few years I'll be purchasing another Tom Tom (I like the unit and I like their service and reps.) If I were to travel extensively in the USA I might have to reconsider my decision because there are many more roads and changes to them, where as in Canada there are fewer roads and changes to them. I'm sure I can get a few years out of the map that's in it.

Cheers
Willis

I believe the Garmin free update has a time limit, not more than a year, and probably less.  It's limited to the next version after the one purchased with the unit.

I believe the Garmin free update has a time limit, not more than a year,
Yep I know that now, I bought it for a trip (must have been old stock) and a few months later we set out. The first day it's directions had me reverse  direction on the hwy I was traveling on about 15 miles from our destination (a Wal Mart). Then announced that our destination was 90 miles in the opposite direction. Now this was after it took us many miles along the same highway in the right direction. DW wanted to throw it out the window. So after turning around  (in one of those places where it is forbidden) I stopped in the next town to get directions. The thing that peed me off was it played the "fanfare bugle" as I pulled into the WM lot.
There were other instances where it directed us off the wrong exit ramps. For most of the trip it was a PITA when it was turned on. However there was one real bright spot with it, It was dark, raining and the closest overnight was a WM in Moncton NB and I had no idea of where it was located. I programmed the address into the i5 and it took us there without a hitch.
I guess I really don't have a problem with Garmin as lots of folks have them, like them and the service also. However I got a DUD Jackass rep. who seemed to have less of an idea of what to do about it than I did at the time. I'm afraid that experience has poisoned my attitude toward Garmin. It was later on as I became more acquainted with GPS that I realized the problem was a grossly out of date map.
Funny though when I went into the store to buy the TomTom all they had on display was the Garmins, when they realized I'd walk out before buying the Garmin, they went in the back and brought out my TT XL330  same price as the Garmin they were both 4.3" screens

Cheers
Willis

Somehow your experience with Garmin does not surprise me in the least.  We have had similar experience except that we knew it was all messed up.  I have yet to see an update that corrected any errors that we have noted.  Oh by the way we feel the old software that was available before Navteq called Metro Guide to be more accurate even now in many of the older areas.

Ron, on the TomTom I have the option of editing errors. (I can not put in new streets) but can correct for one way streets, change the name of streets, set blocks for one ways and dead ends and reroute. When on line I can upload these changes and download changes others have uploaded. (I guess some one could upload a mistake too) I was under the impression Garmin had this function also??
Locally (that's as far as I've been since I got it) it has all the streets (that the Garmin didn't have names for or recognize)  It also doesn't Yap "Re Calculating" like the Garmin when you ignore an instruction (on purpose) , it just gives new directions to get you back on the right track to destination, I like that.
After the i5 experience I gave this one a real try out because I had the option of returning it for a full refund if not satisfied with it for the first week.
There was one glitch with it, it started turning itself on every two days, no map just a glowing screen. Although now I know it wasn't the unit itself but the updated application software I downloaded from the TT site. I contacted Tom Tom and they gave me a link to replace the software and it's been behaving ok since then. Funny thing though right after I installed the replacement software the site informed me there was a new up date for the soft ware. I thought to myself well I had enough of that already so declined the download.

Cheers
Willis

I have a 2007 200w and when I tried to get a free update I was told I would have to pay. How did you get your for free?

If a newer version becomes available before purchase the Garmin or about the same time, they will give you the update to the newer map set for free. If the update comes available later, after your purchase of the GPS, then you pay like everybody else.  There is also a time limit on how long you have to do the upgrade. It depends on the model but for a Nuvi it is typically 60 days from first use.  Basically they are assuring that any of their product sitting on the shelf in a store or warehouse does not get obsolete due to software and map changes that may occur between the time it is loaded at the factory and the time you purchase it..

We're on our fifth Garmin (both road and hiking styles) and really have not had a bad experience with them.  Ron may not like Garmin, but we do, so it's a matter of both personal choice and experience.  Garmin still gets high ratings from Consumer Reports which is an independent firm.

ArdraF

This has been a good and helpful discussion so far!

Does anyone know how to check a C-330 to find out how old my maps are?  As I mentioned, I bought it as "refurbished" and I sort of assumed (we know how that works, right?) the maps and software would be up-to-date - at least as much as possible for that model.

Thanks,
Doug

I guess I was spoiled by the accuracy of the Metro Guide maps that were originally available and expected even better maps when Garmin switched to City Navigator by Navteq since they cost much more at $150.  However, we soon found it was better to keep the old outdated MetroGuide maps available on the Garmin to refer to when City Nav was in error.  We still use the Street Pilot but also still have MetroGuide loaded in case we need to use it when City Nav is goofed up.

Back
Top Bottom