Questions about Daylight Saving!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tom said:
In imperial, try multiplying a sack of potatoes by a bucket of water, and see if you can figure out what the unit is for the answer  ;D

No sweat Tom,  the answer is one peckpint ;)

In all fairness, both the potatoes and the water would have a more definitive (quantifiable?) unit of measure unless you were simply starting a "Low Country Boil" :D

Lou,

the answer is one peckpint

Ah, thanks Lou. I learn something new every day  ;D

The sack of potatoes and bucket of water is my favorite example I've used for years in one of these discussions. I suppose I could have substituted a cord of wood for the bucket of water. A cord is a defined measurement, with the metric measurement being a stere, or 1 m3 = 0.276 cords (approx). I'm not making this up - see here.

Back to the potatoes .... when I was a kid they used to weigh potatoes on a 'potato scale'. When I was going to college, I worked at a gaming arcade on a fairground at a seaside resort. Essentially, the same change (coins) floated in and out of the machines; Punters would go to the cashier and change bills for coins, then they'd proceed to lose the coins in machines, eventually ending up in large wooden cash drawers below. When it was time to empty the cash draws, we'd empty the contents out into a 'mountain' of coins. It would take 3 of us, some sacks, a shovel, and one of those potato scales to "count" (weigh) the coins.

That was before automatic coin counters, and before the UK went to decimal currency or metric measurements  ;D

A few...many years ago in the forties.. the German carpenters used a term called "ZOLL". Everything else was in metric..,, cm, mm. temp etc..

Guess what Zoll means. It was an inch. Go figure.

I think the American reluctance towards metric, even though I grew up with it, was simply a matter of economics. Our country is so large that changing everything would meet with a great expense and population resistance. Remember we are unique and no one is going to tell us what to do...Hooray.

I adjusted to the American system within one year and haven't looked back. I can spot a 1/2" wrench from a 7/16" and  5/8" wrench a mile away. 

This ought to bring a bunch of replies.  ;D ;D

carson

Carson,

It took me a little longer than a year to get calibrated to 'a country mile'  ;D

carson said:
A few...many years ago in the forties.. the German carpenters used a term called "ZOLL". Everything else was in metric..,, cm, mm. temp etc..     Guess what Zoll means. It was an inch. Go figure.

Not exactly Carson, there is only .964312832194 German zolls in an inch.  (only .846666666667 Swiss zolls to the inch) :D

Lou, lol.. close enough for me. Every time I cut a piece of wood and if it's too short, I cut again. Remember the Swiss are neutral..anything goes.  ;)

Tom, some people have what it takes... just hope I remembered correctly. Maybe it was one year and a few more Milli-seconds. Now, what did I have for breakfast this morning?

Ain't this fun...Gold is up and Silver is up today. I only have Silver - 4 troy pounds.

Wonder what that is in milli-grams?   ;D

Keep smiling, guys.

carson FL

A country mile can sometimes be a "fer piece".  It can reach from "over yonder" clean t'other end of the hard road.

Just an interesting fact I picked up along life's path concerning measurement:

Egyptians were the first people to use a calibrated unit of measure, and they had a single unit for EVERYTHING. They calibrated volume, mass, length, area,  and weight by the she. One she equaled one barleycorn seed.

No that it has much to do with this thread, but hey, I thought it was interesting.

Joe

Could someone please explain to me what any of this, especially the metric system, has to do with daylight savings time?

And, under The Shade Tree, it's been customary to let the discussion go wherever it goes, provided it's within our forum rules.

Tom said:
... with the metric measurement being a stereo, or 1 m3 ...

Tom, here is the next verse:
I have to deal with the difference between Ster, Festmeter and Schuettraummeter here in DE
1 Festmeter = 1 m3 (fire)wood without space inside.
1 Ster = 1 m3 of (fire)wood with spaces inside. Equals 0.7 Festmeter.
1 Schuettraummeter equals 0,71 Festmeter of wood - ready for the Oven
Ster, Festmeter and Schuettraummeter are used in forestry - not in the "technical world".

Carson, do you remember the word "Zollstock"?

You guys really crack me up  ;D ..........................Maybe I  should have kept my big mouth shut!  :-\

Mariekie

Gr?sse, Mike,, long time no hear.

"Zollstock", yes. A device, foldable, but I don't have one anymore. They were also in America in inches...haven't seen one in a long time. I believe you mean the gadget shown in the pix below. I may have one in one of my boxes ..somewhere.  ;D

Hope you and your family are well.

carson FL

here

Ah, I have a holzzollstock, aka a folding ruler.

I also have my original Aristo sliderule, marked 'urheberrechtlich geschotzt', which I've had for approx 45 years. Hope I spelled it correctly; That printing is so small that I have a tough time reading it nowadays. The cursor broke somewhere along the line, and a colleague in Hamburg was kind enough to buy a replacement (cursor) and mail it to me. That was 30 years ago, and it hasn't broken since.

Ran a Google search, and came up with this. Mine is the 0903LL, although they show several variants of that model.

Oh BTW the sliderule also has imperial and metric linear measurements (aka rulers) on the back side.

I have a Festmeter for sale, but I'm not letting anyone know that it's really a Ster  ;D

Back
Top Bottom