Questions about Daylight Saving!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
4 weeks refers to when we go back to standard time.  1st Sunday in Nov.

Metrics.  I can deal with either side of it, but what does it do to the calendar?  10 day weeks?  100 hour days?  Dang.

1joester2 said:
Color me clueless, but I'm still lost on the reference to 4 weeks.

Look at the date on my message, add 4 weeks.  November 1 when DST ends.  Got a clue?

OF course, lets say we wanted to stay on topic, or close to it, Oh don't ask me why would want to do that, just go along with the new concept. Ok, so we're  keeping to the topic, and following the drift too, well of course we have to include the drift, this is an inclusive Forum after all. So in this thread we have discussion on Daylight Saving Time and discussion on Metrication. Where can this lead to?

Voila!

Lets talk about Internet Time!

Internet time is made up of hours divided into 1000 beats.... Metric Time!

Here's what Wikipedia says...

History

Swatch Internet Time was announced on October 23, 1998...

During 1999, Swatch produced several models of watch that displayed Swatch Internet Time as well as standard time, and even convinced a few websites (such as CNN.com) to use the new format. The clock applet in the GNOME desktop can be set to display time in this manner. PHP's date() function has a format specifier 'B' which returns the Swatch Internet Time notation for a given time stamp. It is also used as a time reference on ICQ, and the online role-playing game Phantasy Star Online has used it since its launch on the Sega Dreamcast in 2000 to try to facilitate cross-continent gaming (as the game allowed Japanese, American and European players to mingle on the same servers). In March 2001, Ericsson released the T20e, a mobile phone which gave the user the option of displaying Internet Time. Outside these areas, however, it appears to be infrequently used.

Beats

Instead of hours and minutes, the mean solar day is divided up into 1000 parts called "beats". Each beat lasts 1 minute and 26.4 seconds. Although Swatch does not specify units smaller than one beat, third party implementations have extended the standard by adding "centibeats" or "sub-beats" as a decimal fraction, for extended precision: @248.00

Time zones

There are no time zones; instead, the new time scale of Biel Mean Time (BMT) is used, based on the company's headquarters in Biel, Switzerland.

So what has that to do With Daylight Savings? Well with Internet Time you don't have Daylight Savings. The state of the Real World doesn't matter, it is just like Zulu Time, it doesn't matter where you are in the world, 0100 Zulu is the same time.

1joester2 said:
Second Sunday in March through the first Sunday in November = ~6 months.

Color me clueless, but I'm still lost on the reference to 4 weeks.

We get rid of DST in about 4 weeks.

-Don- Reno, NV​

OK, sorry to be so late in seeing this string, but is now time to weigh in.  As any of you who have taken my 5 cent tour of Halifax know, this is the North American home of Sir Sanford Fleming, who is the Scott railroad builder that imposed Standard Time on the world.  And to answer the question before asked, no I will not bomb, deface, or otherwise cause harm to his former house, or the tower monument on his former estate.  ;D 
      That having been said, the purpose of my post is to answer Don about why Canada was "able" to bring in the metric system while the US didn't.  I have used the analogy in the forum many times, we are Charlie Brown, with the US being Lucy promising this time she will let Charlie kick the football.  ???  Yes, we came under severe pressure from the US to move to the metric system in the lte sixties & early seventies.  At the time we were being told that if we didn't out trade would be badly hurt when the US move to match the rest of the world at an agreed date.  (I can't remember the date).  Our government, against much opposition forced it through, only to see it not get implemented in the US.  ( I guess US politicians are more sensitive to voter pressure)  It was too much of an embarrasment to switch back, so we've still got metric.  Our kids& grandkids only know metric, and we have grown used to converting, but I can't say I like it.

Ed

carson said:
Great info, what do I do now.. cut my piece of wood longer or shorter?   ???
carson FL
My Dad was the town Barber as well as Bike Repairer and Many Other Things. You know the type ;)

Anyway, he thought he was also funny so he made up a sign that said he didn't cut hair any longer. Quite a few came up to him and asked why he was quitting the trade ROFL

[quote author=Ian]My Dad was the town Barber ...[/quote]

I assume you didn't follow in the family business Ian?

seilerbird said:
Do you wanna bet?? It all depends on where you live in Arizona.

Tom

Native American Nation land might be considered not "Arizona" since it has it's own laws, enforcement and customs. The AZ state legislature does not rule. I, and most Arizonans, are not Native Americans or others living on Indian land, so I don't think that the nit is really relative.

Tom said:
I assume you didn't follow in the family business Ian?
Well another 'trade' that he practised was the local Santa, though i don't think we ever realised it ;)
Now that family trade I have taken on in a big way LOL

That picture was taken back in the 80's some time. We had all left home by then so perhaps he didn't take up the trade till after we left home. I just don't recall now. He passed on in 99 and I started my Santa work in 03 so he never saw me as a Santa, never even knew that I was remotely interested in it, neither did I till my wife suggested it in 03 ;)

BTW, I have one of his old suits in my wardrobe, would never wear it, too old and too basic for my line of work but yes, still have it there.

Attachments

• SantaDad.jpg
    SantaDad.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 17
DonTom said:
But metric is so much easier.  For an example, a 15mm open end wrench is too large. A 13 MM is too small. Try a 14 MM.

But if a 5/8" is too large  &  a 9/16"  is too small, we now we have to stop and think about it.

Nope, line the sockets up in the socket holder smallest to largest.. If the 9/16th is too big and the 5/8 is too small I use the one in between them.  No thought required.

As usual John, you can confuse me.

How can a 9/16 be too big and a 5/8 be too small ???.

In a standard set of wrenches, what size is between those two ???

Thanks for the photo Ian. I'm sure your Dad would have been be proud to know that you too did that fine work for kids.

[quote author=Lou (onaquest)]How can a 9/16 be too big and a 5/8 be too small ???.[/quote]

Lou, it's the new math.

In a standard set of wrenches, what size is between those two ???

A standard metric size of course.

Hey Ian
from one Santa son to another!  My Dad has been a Santa for the past 16 years or so, some of the folks here have met him, and maybe seen him as Santa.  Dad is still doing it to, he is trying to recruit me as well.  This year I let my beard grow out, but will be back in sales in Nov, so need to trim. 

Guy I knew had a shop, and when hiring mechanic he would look at the toolbox.  If there were more than one pair of vice grips, he didn't get the job.

How many of you guys have a set of Whitworth wrenches?  I have the sockets and copinations.  Have a Norton MC. 

LOL Bill, I was going to mention Whitworth, but didn't want to confuse the subject further. I sold my set of Whitworth spanners (aka wrenches) in 1980, just before we got on the plane to come to the U.S. There were, of course, two different Whitworth standards, the second dictated by the need to conserve steel during WWII. More info here. So be careful which size you ask for  ;D

Yeah the sizes are stated as standard, but boy do they differ!  I had heard that  there was another, I think there is a suffix to determine.

To keep this discussion on topic (beards, Santas, motorcycles, and daylight), here's a photo of a Santa who visited local restaurants in our prior town after dark. He'd ride up on his decorated motorcycle, towing a trailer complete with a lit Christmas tree, and he'd hand out gifts to the kids.

Attachments

• Santa.jpg
    Santa.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 25
Back
Top Bottom