Drinking Alcohol In Your RV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
MikeDeason said:
Congress set the acceptable BAC level for commercial motor vehicle operators, railroad engineers and airline pilots at .04 BAC so I should be good to go in an RV. ::)

So..., I guess this means you've had the special training that all these professionals had and you continue to get training every year?

Doubtfull.

Your original question was more than answered. I'm sorry you feel it is acceptable to risk your life and property.., and also ours.., but I think you've made your point that you can drive as long as your below a certain level and no one can stop you.

You're right.., none of us can. I sure wish we could. However, I have come to learn that there will always be some folks out there that are more concerned about their "rights" than they are about safety, respect, dignity, honor, and/or concern for their fellow man.

No drinking alcoholic beverages when the coach is being driven. That means by anyone. A drunk passenger is just as dangerous as a drunk driver in an RV. They can get up, walk around and get stupid and there isn't much you can do about it.

I have a bubbly once a year but on that day I'm not driving anything except those around me nuts.

crackodawn said:
No drinking alcoholic beverages when the coach is being driven. That means by anyone. A drunk passenger is just as dangerous as a drunk driver in an RV. They can get up, walk around and get stupid and there isn't much you can do about it.

I have a bubbly once a year but on that day I'm not driving anything except those around me nuts.
I have to disagree with NO ONE drinking on the coach, there is a difference between drinking, and being a  drunk. If someone doesn't understand the difference then I feel sorry for them. kevin

Kevin: I have no moral issue with the passengers drinking.., however, in most states this is illegal. I believe Texas and some parts of Louisianna allow passenger drinking when the vehicle is in operation. Some states will give special permits for "party busses," but you have to apply for them. Make sure you know the laws state by state or you could wind up in trouble and/or with expensive fines. And, if you are breaking the law and you get into an accident, even if it's not your fault, your insurance can deny the claim holding you liable for any/all damages.

Kevin: I have no moral issue with the passengers drinking.., however, in most states this is illegal.

Some certainly, but I suspect that most states allow it in the living quarters area of a motorhome.  TEA 21, a federal funding program require the following that I posted earlier in this very long thread.  Since it cuts to the chase in this discussion, I will repeat it:

To comply with TEA-21, a state's motor vehicle open container laws must:
  • Prohibit both possession of any open alcoholic beverage container and consumption of any alcoholic beverage;[8]
  • Cover the passenger area of any motor vehicle, including unlocked glove compartments and any other areas of the vehicle that are readily accessible to the driver or passengers while in their seats;[8]
  • Apply to all open alcoholic beverage containers and all alcoholic beverages, including beer, wine, and spirits that contain one-half of one percent or more of alcohol by volume;[8]
  • Apply to all vehicle occupants except for passengers of vehicles designed, maintained or used primarily for the transportation of people for compensation (such as buses, taxi cabs, and limousines) or the living quarters of motor homes;[8]
  • Apply to all vehicles on a public highway or the right-of-way (i.e. on the shoulder) of a public highway;[8]...

seilerbird said:
Both my parents are dead alcoholics and one of my sisters and one of my brothers is on the way there. I haven't had a drink in 20 years and I feel fantastic.

I also quit in 1990, Life to to precious to waste in a drunken stoop-er.  Ron

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.

Despite the criticism, I feel that I am being responsible by carefully monitoring my BAC before driving. I doubt many who do drink take such precautions.

There has been allot of usefull info here but I am still wondering about the legalities of having, for example, an open beer in the living quarters of the RV in a WAL MART parking lot.

MikeDeason said:
I am still wondering about the legalities of having, for example, an open beer in the living quarters of the RV in a WAL MART parking lot.

I would suspect that if the motorhome is parked, then domicile rules would apply, ie, it's your house so you can drink. However, if you get behind the wheel, then the moving vehicle laws go into effect.

Of course, I could be wrong.

Wendy
Casa Grande, Arizona

MikeDeason said:
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.

President Lyndon B. Johnson made that statement, but I don't think he meant it in regards to driving an RV.

I can't believe that our government officials allow pilots to fly with anything over 0.00 BAC.

Luca1369 said:
I can't believe that our government officials allow pilots to fly with anything over 0.00 BAC.

I'm with you there. Also train engineers and bus drivers.

Wendy

I was quite surprised about > .000, but that is the rule.  Different airlines have their own interpretations.  Remeber the comedy routine?  Foster Brooks?  Hold the plane!  Hold the plane, why?  cuz I'm the pilot. 

As to being responsible, I think being responsible is waiting until parked for the night.  Not for lunch.

MikeDeason said:
There has been allot of usefull info here but I am still wondering about the legalities of having, for example, an open beer in the living quarters of the RV in a WAL MART parking lot.

It is likely that your state follows  the TEA 21 formula and permits open containers.  The only was to be sure is to research you state MV code,

Do so.

Having an open beer in the living quarters of your RV on any public - or private  for that matter - parking lot isn't likely to violate any specific motor vehicle laws in most, if not all, States, but calls for research.  However other violations may occur...Now if that single beer leads to a few more coupled with abnormal behavior or with that single beer you are behind the wheel  and law enforcement is summoned, for whatever reason,  then expect to be subject of a DUI investigation,  being in charge of a motor vehicle while intoxicated or at the least a Public Intoxication investigation.    If a citizen calls in and reports a 'drunk driver in an RV  at Wally World '  the police are bound by duty to respond.  The ensuing investigation will likely result in a pretty thorough background, criminal history and driving lic.  check of  RVer along with proof of insurance and registration and at the very least a cursory visual examination of the vehicle, interior and exterior.  Anything discovered in plain sight or uncovered as a result of the investigation is  potential future evidence against the RVer. 

In reality,  it isn't just a  matter or whether any resulting charges are enforced by the City or County criminal prosecutor's office resulting in a court appearance etc.  The  police response could result in an arrest  (probable cause exists on any of the scenarios mentioned) and your vehicle subject to impound.    So after spending a night or two in the slammer you may be released either by posting bail/bond or in your own recognizance (no money up front).  However you would still have to pay impound fees, (several hundred$$$)  for the storage and subsequent release of the vehicle.  Even if no charges were filed and the matter was dismissed before ever reaching court, it's one hell of a costly inconvenience.  Oh and don't expect to get reimbursed for the towing and storage fees.

Now doesn't all that make you want to slug down a cold one...?

bt

Just a silly question ~~  Unless you 'ADVERTISE' how would anyone in the WallyLot/CG know you had an open beer in your MH living-room??? :eek: :eek: :eek:

RvFairyLady said:
Kevin: I have no moral issue with the passengers drinking.., however, in most states this is illegal. I believe Texas and some parts of Louisianna allow passenger drinking when the vehicle is in operation. Some states will give special permits for "party busses," but you have to apply for them. Make sure you know the laws state by state or you could wind up in trouble and/or with expensive fines. And, if you are breaking the law and you get into an accident, even if it's not your fault, your insurance can deny the claim holding you liable for any/all damages.

This how it is in Michigan, by special permits only (mostly Limo Services). IMHO it's a good law, if a person can't wait till they get to where their going, they have a problem! 

Yes it does make me want to have a cold one ;D I think that scenario in the wal-mart parking lot was a little overkill :eek: There is nothing wrong if you don't want to drink, there is nothing wrong if you do. I don't see a problem with having a few drinks, while parked or riding down the road...if your not driving.

If we all knew how many people drive down the road with alcohol in their system we would probably never drive again. I see nothing wrong with drinking the night before, and driving the next day either. I do have a problem with drinking, say at lunch, and then driving, and this is why.

I find it hard enough sometimes to drive our MH down a busy interstate, find the right exit, and keep a eye on the gauges, toad, and other crazy people. I do not need the nice laid back feeling I get when I drink while trying to do all these things. That is just my feelings on it. They are not the law, or are intended to be.

I don't know about anyone else but I think this topic has covered the original statement and far beyond. Drinking can be a problem and continuing the discussion will not reveal any new answers. Let us all be very aware of the consequences of the problem and try to avoid any situations that will create heartache for anyone. Further discussion will not lead to new revelations.

Amen to that. ;)

On a final note, I found out that my State allows open alcohol only in the LIVING AREAS of the RV and only if there is a partition between the driving and living area. I'm guessing you would be safer in a Fifth Wheel unless you wanted to put up some kind of partition in the coach.

Here's something for Mr. Tott to watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqMjMPlXzdA&NR=1

Buddy Tott said:
Having an open beer in the living quarters of your RV on any public - or private  for that matter - parking lot isn't likely to violate any specific motor vehicle laws in most, if not all, States, but calls for research.  However other violations may occur...Now if that single beer leads to a few more coupled with abnormal behavior or with that single beer you are behind the wheel  and law enforcement is summoned, for whatever reason,  then expect to be subject of a DUI investigation,  being in charge of a motor vehicle while intoxicated or at the least a Public Intoxication investigation.    If a citizen calls in and reports a 'drunk driver in an RV  at Wally World '  the police are bound by duty to respond.  The ensuing investigation will likely result in a pretty thorough background, criminal history and driving lic.  check of  RVer along with proof of insurance and registration and at the very least a cursory visual examination of the vehicle, interior and exterior.  Anything discovered in plain sight or uncovered as a result of the investigation is  potential future evidence against the RVer. 

In reality,  it isn't just a  matter or whether any resulting charges are enforced by the City or County criminal prosecutor's office resulting in a court appearance etc.  The  police response could result in an arrest  (probable cause exists on any of the scenarios mentioned) and your vehicle subject to impound.    So after spending a night or two in the slammer you may be released either by posting bail/bond or in your own recognizance (no money up front).  However you would still have to pay impound fees, (several hundred$$$)  for the storage and subsequent release of the vehicle.  Even if no charges were filed and the matter was dismissed before ever reaching court, it's one hell of a costly inconvenience.  Oh and don't expect to get reimbursed for the towing and storage fees.

Now doesn't all that make you want to slug down a cold one...?

bt

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom