Drinking Alcohol In Your RV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Buddy.. I could not have said it better (Though I was never an officer I dispatched them for 25 years)

Oh, and I might add, Even if you are not driving a BAC greater than zero can be dangerous.

Short story.. Group hits the bar,, DD (Designated Driver) has.. Coffee or soda.. Rest drink the hard stuff..  Going down the freeway on the way home BANG, WHOMP WHOMP, the tire blows.. DD pulls off and tells Mr. Plastered and his friends to remain in the car while he puts the spare on.

The soon to be late Mr. plastered says to his drunken buddies "Hey, I see a liquor store up there, I'm going to get us a six pack" and gets out of the car and begins to cross the freeway, it's a 55MPH zone so naturally the cars are zipping by at about 70MPH.. Six of them ran over him.

Far as I know that freeway contains to this day a Bibical artifact... The jawbone of an....SS. (HIM)

Oh, I did see his criminal history.. He was a general purpose scum bag (petty criminal).. That was his first, and last, really serious crime.  (The only one that resulted in someone getting physically hurt)

Of course not every fatal accident is the result of booze.. I know another story, also a flat tire, the Son told his elderly arthric mother to remain in the car but when he pried off the hub cap it rolled out into traffic "I'll get it son" "No mother, stay in the car"  SCREECH WHOMP.  You know the rest.

That one at least we did not have to notify next of kin.. The poor boy witnessed his mother getting hit.  (I really hated typing up that teletpye message "Reference fatal accident" And I had to do far too many of them in the years on the job)

First, the officer is not going to smell anything on my breath because I would rinse and chew gum. Second, at .04, I would give no reason for an officer to pull me over and in any way suspect me of DUI. Third, I would have to be doing something that gave the officer reason to test me...NO????

I do not feel I am impaired at .04 BAC and as far as I can tell, the law permits me to drive at this level unless I am driving erratically.....

Mike
I think the point hee is, what would be the circumstances where you would need to be concerned?  Couple beers for lunch?  Cocktail hour and still 100 miles to go?  I am just not following the reasoning.  I get done driving for the day I might have a drink, maybe two, when I get up in the mornin, some 10-12 hours after a drink, there is nothing left. 

To me, it really looks like a thread about nothing, I a done.

MikeDeason said:
First, the officer is not going to smell anything on my breath because I would rinse and chew gum. Second, at .04, I would give no reason for an officer to pull me over and in any way suspect me of DUI. Third, I would have to be doing something that gave the officer reason to test me...NO????

I do not feel I am impaired at .04 BAC and as far as I can tell, the law permits me to drive at this level unless I am driving erratically.....

Mouthwash and gum is a dead giveaway, .04 is too much to be driving an RV. DUI, DWI can cost up to $10,000. Not worth it.

MikeDeason said:
Second,[/b] at .04, I would give no reason for an officer to pull me over and in any way suspect me of DUI.

Quite often one is pulled over not for driving erratically, but for something like a burned out tailight or license plate light.  A simple mechanical flub and you're on the side of the road with a trooper in your face. 

But I can see you're pretty darn well determined to drink, drive, and trust your breathalyzer.  I find that highly irresponsible.

Where is it that you have to get in such a hurry that you've got to drink and drive?  Got to get to a CG before dark?  You'll save time and get there quicker by driving instead of taking a break to drink (have a few after you get there and get settled in).  Besides, it's not the destination, it's the journey.

I lost all my Scotch in a tragic boating accident.... oh wait, wrong thread :-0

I haven't denounced the demon, I drink on occasion, just not like I'm in my 20's any more. Just drinking and driving, seriously, zero tolerance for it. Sometimes if I go out and I know I'm going to be drinking, like go play darts or pool, I'll take a cab there and back. Even if it costs me $100 or more in cab fare, far cry less then a DUI or an accident would cost. I guess you see a lot of push back here because most of us are older and wiser, as well as more responsible than you might find amongst other groups.

Jammer said:
I lost all my Scotch in a tragic boating accident.... oh wait, wrong thread :-0
My sincere condolences on your loss. That is a tragedy I hope none of us have to face.

Why are we spending so much time regarding drinking and driving??? IMHO, there is no rationale for it and those that try to defend their tolerance and abilities won't be swayed. It's a no win discussion.

I'm not a teetotaler, I'm enjoying a very nice gin martini as I type, but I'm not going to drive tonite.

Ok first off, I would not drink then get into the MH and drive somewhere.

I do drink at the campsite, and I might drink a 6pack or so, and drive the next day.

I do not believe that if I drink 1beer and then 5hours later had to go to work that I would be a harm to myself or anyone else, that's alitte far fetched.

I think if you will look Arkansas does not have a open container law on the books at all.

I find it very hard to believe that If someone is chasing cows in a field with a truck,(his cows, and his truck) that any law enforcement officier has the right to come onto his land, and write him a moving vilation ticket of any kind. That sounds way far fetched to me. :eek:

OK, I just gotta say.., the driving while undressed comments were just funny. I can picture the truckers driving by and looking down at your bare legs.

Me, personally, I'd rather the truck drivers keep their eye on the road so PJ's is as far as I'm willing to go.

Drinking and driving.., that's not a funny subject.

Mike, no offense, but I think you're spending too much time waiting for your BAC to go down. Seriously., how often do you drink? Must you really drink every day? Life is meant to be lived and drink if you like.., but is it really that hard to restrain for a day or two while you shift your location?

I mean, hey.., it's your liver and heart. And if you're following the law than I guess that's your right. But dude, seriously...., if you have to carry around a breathalyzer and wait for your numbers to be right you may want to evaluate why you're drinking so much.

I guess the way I took it is that he's seeking out a lifestyle sufficiently free of structure that the rhythm many of us follow has no meaning.  The sages of old and the writers of pop music lyrics alike have placed great stock in the rhythms of the day, the seasons, and the years.  To fight against this natural order of things, whether through sheer force of will, caffeine, amphetamine, etc., is a hallmark of youth.  For better or for worse, I am no longer in youth's thrall.... And so, I rather predictably mark the close of the day with a Martini... or whatever... maybe two.... Being confident that the traveling, the decisions, and the work of the day are all done.

Only come morning, dawn anew, will I take to the roads, the fields, the lab, the stage, as the case may be.  Coffee, for me, is the beverage of dawn, just as wine, Martinis, beer, and Scotch are the beverages of evening.  Fortified thusly, and by a hearty breakfast (a uniquely American tradition), I will seize the day and take to the road.

Didn't we all purchase RVs so that in our dotage (i.e., our declining & "reclining" years!) we could boondock or hook up in the RV park by 2 pm, and then start happy hour, and not have to go anywhere?  What's this about even thinking about drinking and then driving somewhere?  Am I missing something?  Now that wine is heart medicine, happy hours sometimes start at noon...followed by chocolate (more heart medicine!) for dinner at 8!  ;)

The more I have read Mike's responses to all of the posts, the more I believe he has a serious problem. Is it possible that he has to have the breathalyzer in his vehicle because of a DUI conviction. I believe that there are several states now that force vehicle owners to have these installed in these instances.
All the people I have known with addictive habits always try to justify there problem to others and to try to get people to agree with them. I think Mike may want to search out some professional help.

Sorry if my assumptions are wrong, but this is what it looks like to me.

Dave

Jammer said:
I rather predictably mark the close of the day with a Martini... or whatever... maybe two.... Being confident that the traveling, the decisions, and the work of the day are all done.

Only come morning, dawn anew, will I take to the roads, the fields, the lab, the stage, as the case may be.  Coffee, for me, is the beverage of dawn, just as wine, Martinis, beer, and Scotch are the beverages of evening.  Fortified thusly, and by a hearty breakfast (a uniquely American tradition), I will seize the day and take to the road.

That is very inspirational. :)

What I am mainly concerned about is that there is occasionally sufficient residual alcohol left in your bloodstream THE MORNING AFTER drinking to warrant a DUI. This is why I use the breathalizer.

MikeDeason said:
That is very inspirational. :)

What I am mainly concerned about is that there is occasionally sufficient residual alcohol left in your bloodstream THE MORNING AFTER drinking to warrant a DUI. This is why I use the breathalizer.

I know you think that YOU receiving a DUI is the worst thing that could happen, but I think YOU killing me, or one of mine, is a bit worse.  Shove that Breathalyzer somewhere (you pick the spot) and stay off the road for awhile, please.

That anger needs to be directed towards someone who is actually breaking the law and putting lives at danger ;)

Never during overnite stopsssss,,,,

When I get to where I'm going,,,,,,,pulll out the awning,,,,,open the bay,,,,,pull the wine bottle outta the fridge, ,,,,,put in a good John Wayner,,,kick back,,,,,,smile,,,,,,life is gooooooooood.

Boy Mike, you are just bound and determined your going to drink and drive and get away with it.  Just let us all know when you are on the road behind a wheel.  I want to be safe in a campground somewhere.....

Daisy

"Laws with regard to alcohol and RVs are vague and subject to interpretation."

Here in CA, you do NOT have to be driving to be busted with drunk driving. All you have to do is be in the driver's seat with the keys in the ignition (even with the engine ice cold and not started)  and you then can be busted for DUI, if over .08.

My rule is that I won't drive at all if I drink any booze at all for 24 hours. Easy for me as I very rarely drink any booze. I occasionally like an after dinner drink but that's about all.

However, when in Hong Kong I had a couple of beers. It seems to taste a lot better over there. I hear they have higher alcohol content in beer there which changes the taste. But there's no reason to drive in Hong Kong.

Tom doesn't drink at all and will turn all red on a single sip of any booze, just as if he's allergic to alcohol.

-Don- SSF, CA​

Mike, I APPRECIATE that you make sure that your BAC is down before your drive your rig. I think this is a problem that a lot of people don't address. A lot people go on vacations and drink; as is our right in America. Many people think that after they "sleep it off" they are good to go.., when in fact they may still have alcohol in their system.

But what I would like to address, and some others on here have, is that making sure BAC is low enough that you don't get a DUI does not make you a safe driver.

Many of us on here have had hang-overs.., and we all know that we are a little dull after a night of drinking. You may be blowing a .03.., but that doesn't mean you should be out on the road. Your body is tired and dehydrated, you may have a headache or upset stomach, or you may feel just fine.., however, after a night of drinking you WILL be less sharp than you would have been if you would have refrained the day before.

It's the same with people who drive when they are tired.., or sick.., or very upset.., it may be legal but that doesn't make it safe.

RV'ing should be a happy, relaxing thing.., why not treat the road with respect and take care of yourself by giving yourself a mandatory break for at least 24 hours before you set out.

I think most of us are saying.., don't risk it. If you're going to drive the next day then please refrain from alcohol.  Happy Journeys!

Back
Top Bottom