Using Laptop while camping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

erpelpa

We have taken our laptop when we go to Outdoor Adventures and have to take it to their recreation hall in order to check our e-mails.

Do most campgrounds now offer internet hook ups?

Most offer WiFi connections, however the quality of the connection often varies from OK to unusable.  If a connection is critical, you may need to choose your site with that in mind, or haul your laptop to the campground office or other strong signal location.  Another approach is to go with a cell phone data connection, however that will cost anywhere from $30.00 to $60.00 per month & likely have a 5GB per month limit.

I use a Verizon air card. $60 per month for 5 gigs. It saves me more than $60 per month and it works just about everywhere. Even while driving down the road in the middle of nowhere.

erpelpa said:
We have taken our laptop when we go to Outdoor Adventures and have to take it to their recreation hall in order to check our e-mails.

Do most campgrounds now offer internet hook ups?

Many do, Many don't

If you are at the Lakeshore Resort (Outdoor adventures) show up around 8am on Wed and look for a man in an orange "GOD SQUAD" t-shirt drinking coffee.

Tell me where you are parked and I may be able to hook you up..  There is a "problem" just now in the park, Patrick is working on it (or rather trying to get the folks who work on it to actually work) I have identified the problem and am sitting in my rig as I post this.

My rig is a repeater

We use a Verizon MiFi, and have very good luck with it.  We can connect 2 laptops, and if I want, a third to transmit weather data from my weather station.  It will allow me up to 5 connections at a time.

It really depends on how crucial retrieving your emails in a timely manner.  We found that most in the US RV Parks, particularly Passport America parks either had wifi, or at least a hot spot, but not all do, not so back here in Canada, it is the exception not the rule, yet parks are more expensive.  However, most libraries, some fast food/restaurants, motels have wifi, but we did find out west many motels now are secured.
  If you emails are time sensitive, you may have to follow Tom's advice and get a card, or as many have done, get a satellite system.

Ed

Hfx_Cdn said:
...you may have to follow Tom's advice and get a card..
Ed

I did not suggest that anyone get an air card. I said I have one.

I have found that it saves me more that it costs every month. Thursday is payday and I am going to buy a DSLR camera. Buying it online I get free shipping and no sales tax. So I only have to drive to the post office once to get it, and I can take a free shuttle bus to get there. So I am saving driving around St. George and comparing prices and then when I buy it I will save on the sales tax (that alone is $50) and I will get a better price than I could have bought it locally. So that one purchase alone online saves me well over $100.

And I can find the lowest gas prices with Gas Buddy. Filling up an 85 gallon tank and saving 20 cents a gallon is a $17 savings. I can find free dump stations, free places to overnight, the lowest price on an RV park and on and on. I saved several thousand dollars buying this motorhome. For me it is a no-brainer to pay the $60 per month. Other people's mileage may vary, that's why I didn't recommend it. Many people can get by with just checking their email at a library once a week.

Tom, sorry to have put words in your mouth, but both of your posts say that you save more than it costs, and you imply that you are happy with the plan.  Hence, I read into your comments that you were recommending that other people might want to investigate its use.  If t6hat is not what you were saying, I apologize.
    As for me, I need to double the cost as I can only stay in the US 6 months and fees on those plans in Canada are prohibitive.  So, to this point given non urgent internet requirements, I have not subscribed to a 3/4 G network.  Often, I will pay the fee to obtain wifi at a park, other times I just go to a library.  People who need to contact us can call our cell.

Ed

Hfx_Cdn said:
    Tom, sorry to have put words in your mouth, but both of your posts say that you save more than it costs, and you imply that you are happy with the plan.  Hence, I read into your comments that you were recommending that other people might want to investigate its use.  If t6hat is not what you were saying, I apologize.
    As for me, I need to double the cost as I can only stay in the US 6 months and fees on those plans in Canada are prohibitive.  So, to this point given non urgent internet requirements, I have not subscribed to a 3/4 G network.  Often, I will pay the fee to obtain wifi at a park, other times I just go to a library.  People who need to contact us can call our cell.

Ed

No need to apologize. I was just pointing out I wasn't recommending them. They don't work for lots of people. Not everyone spends money on the Internet like I do.

Check here for pay as you go mobile broadband:
http://3gstore.com

This trip is our first where I didn't have wifi in most locations. We are at Yellowstone and the Verizon signal is excellent at our campground. I opted for the 5gb mobile broadband for $50/month with no contract. Once we leave here I will be able to cancel it with no penalty. The air card has a two year contract with a hefty penalty for early cancellation, if I remember correctly.

Jim Dick said:
This trip is our first where I didn't have wifi in most locations. We are at Yellowstone and the Verizon signal is excellent at our campground. I opted for the 5gb mobile broadband for $50/month with no contract. Once we leave here I will be able to cancel it with no penalty. The air card has a two year contract with a hefty penalty for early cancellation, if I remember correctly.

There is a penalty if you cancel early. You must turn the modem back in and you have lost the $59 it costs. But that is small compared to Verizon.

We just finished a trip where we had no Verizon reception (actually, no cell reception) for 10 days (Fish Lake and Capitol Reef Utah). So we will keep the roof internet satellite until we can get Verizon and/or internet reception everywhere we go. We prefer not to be internet-less plus we still do work and need access wherever we are.

Wendy

Wendy said:
We just finished a trip where we had no Verizon reception (actually, no cell reception) for 10 days (Fish Lake and Capitol Reef Utah). So we will keep the roof internet satellite until we can get Verizon and/or internet reception everywhere we go. We prefer not to be internet-less plus we still do work and need access wherever we are.

Wendy

I was thinking of going to Capitol Reef later this month. You just my mind up for me. I will skip it until they are more modernized. If I have a problem with my motorhome I need this forum. It saves me lots of money.

seilerbird said:
I was thinking of going to Capitol Reef later this month. You just my mind up for me. I will skip it until they are more modernized. If I have a problem with my motorhome I need this forum. It saves me lots of money.

Capitol Reef is beautiful, well, except for the gnats ! But if you need cell reception, you need to drive 15-20 miles west or east to get reception. There are places to boondock outside the park where you could stay with cell reception and drive into CARE to visit. And there's yummy pie at Gifford House in the park.

Wendy

Wendy said:
Capitol Reef is beautiful, well, except for the gnats ! But if you need cell reception, you need to drive 15-20 miles west or east to get reception. There are places to boondock outside the park where you could stay with cell reception and drive into CARE to visit. And there's yummy pie at Gifford House in the park.

Wendy

I spent a few weeks there a few years ago and I really don't need to go back to the area. I will just stay at Bryce an extra week.

We are out on our first major trip and have been using my smart phone for the internet connection to the laptop.  All I needed was a USB cable and set the phone up for mobile sharing. So far it has been working, a little slow, but there is no additional charge.  The smart phone package does cost more, but I already have it.

Just for information; the Verizon access with data card may be on a month to month basis if you buy the card. I paid full price for it (I didn't want the long term commitment), but you can find them on ebay et. al. for a fraction of retail.
Ernie

Even with the contract, you can put the card on vacation mode.  I have a MiFi and also had the air card built into my laptop, but while in FL I had a cable connection.  Just put the air card on vaca for 6 months, reactivated when we started our trip.  At that point I bought the MiFi.  Works well for us.  (Verixzn 5gb)

PancakeBill said:
Even with the contract, you can put the card on vacation mode.  I have a MiFi and also had the air card built into my laptop, but while in FL I had a cable connection.  Just put the air card on vaca for 6 months, reactivated when we started our trip.  At that point I bought the MiFi.  Works well for us.  (Verixzn 5gb)

Don't forget that when you put the card on vacation, the time on vacation is added to your contract expiration.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CampMike2270
Back
Top Bottom