Using Laptop while camping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ned, 'splain rooting, free tethering with Droid and everything else talked about here, to me if you can/will. ;) :D

I'm going to update my Verizon phone soon and have a large ignorance GAP when it comes to smart phone features.  I currently use the ($59 per month) tethering feature when traveling, and shut it off when not traveling.  Is there something better and/or cheaper?

I'm not really interested in ALL the Smart Phone features yet.  I'll investigate those as I think I need them.

Rooting is replacing the standard Android firmware with another one that allows access to the entire phone and lets you turn on features that are blocked by the standard firmware.  It also makes it very easy to brick the phone and is not recommended for the average user.

Free tethering on the Android phones is done using an application called PdaNet (and there is another one as well that I haven't tired) that allows you to connect the phone to your PC using the USB connection, the phone then behaves like a cellular modem.  Verizon has been ignoring this usage, but with the latest version of Android, Froyo or 2.2, being pushed to the phones, you are supposed to buy the tethering feature from VZW for $20/month and it comes with a 5GB monthly bandwidth cap.  The reports I've read say that PdaNet still works with Froyo, but it remains to be seen how long VZW will allow that to continue as it uses the unlimited data plan of the phone and creates no revenue for VZW.

All the smart phones require a $30/month data plan.  I'm not sure if that's still unlimited or if VZW has applied the 5GB/month cap.  The smart phone data plans are in transition right now as the new phones are being rolled out.  Best to check the VZW web site for the latest plan information.

Everyone has their own requirements, but I thought I would share what I use for a business solution.

The only way I can go full time and still do my work as a database administrator, sometimes on call, is to have redundant systems to get to the Internet. My provider for cell and data is AT&T and has been since DSL was introduced. I have had no issues that were not self inflicted.

I have a desktop with a wireless adapter and two monitors, and a laptop with an onboard wireless adapter. Either of those will work fine in a location with an available wifi connection. I have stopped in McDonald?s, ate my fish sandwich, and worked from the coach for an hour, then moved on. That fact that most McDonald?s and most Starbuck?s (for the bride) are AT&T hot spots does not hurt, either.

I also have a D-Link wireless USB adapter ($40) with a moveable base that will provide a much stronger signal than either of the onboard adapters and I use that if the signal is weak where I am parked.

Then, I have an AT&T USB Connect Lightning cell modem on their data plan, 5GB cap. One of the things I like about the cell modem is rolling down the road and using the laptop, normally without dropout problems. I have used the cell modem for two weeks in a row, full time, for business, and was on pace to use the 5GB. Streaming video from Netflix was the culprit, though. AT&T claims 98% of their users use less than 3GB a month.

Christi has her iPhone and has the old data plan which did not have a cap and then we have unlimited voice on both cell phones. So she can hit the ?net with a third solution.

We have found numerous public places with public wifi access (do your homework) and a solid fallback position is a public library.

Overkill? Maybe, and I am sure there are remote areas where I will have a problem, but that?s why we are on wheels. We will move to where I can work, and then play wherever.

I would agree it is not the lowest budget solution you can use, but it solves my problem of working on the road, and it?s not complicated. Your mileage may vary.

Ned said:
The reports I've read say that PdaNet still works with Froyo, but it remains to be seen how long VZW will allow that to continue as it uses the unlimited data plan of the phone and creates no revenue for VZW.

I have Froyo on my Motorola Droid and PDA Net is still working.

PhilB

Great, that's what I've been hearing, but it's nice to get it confirmed.  Now if I only had Froyo :(

I can install 2.2 without rooting, but I'm not that impatient.  I have the update.zip file for it.  I'll give the OTA update another day or two :)

Ned said:
I can install 2.2 without rooting, but I'm not that impatient.  I have the update.zip file for it.  I'll give the OTA update another day or two :)

I used update.zip.  No root required.

Aw, Phil, you just couldn't wait :)  I'm not a fan of rooting unless you have a VERY good reason to do so.  I don't think it's worth the risks.

The wait is over, Froyo was waiting for me this morning.  The update took about 10 minutes.

Ned said:
The wait is over, Froyo was waiting for me this morning.  The update took about 10 minutes.

Did you also get Flash 10?

Ok, new to all this ... roof internet satellite ???  What does that run $$ and what is included and where do I sign up ???  I will guess this is tv as well as computer ???

You don't get unlimited access from Verizon for $60 per month, you get 5 gigs.

Wendy said:
Unless you signed up for it very early and you're grandfathered in to the unlimited. Sometimes it pays to get in early :)

Wendy

Thats not the way I read it.

OOOPs he was talking air card, I was talking smart phone.  At any rate I see the smart phone being more flexible, and at half the cost of an air card.

Verizon keeps unlimited data for new Droid X

you can read about it here:  http://news.cnet.com/verizon-keeps-unlimited-data-for-droid-x

I find Verizon works the best when RVing. 

kalohe said:
Ok, new to all this ... roof internet satellite ???  What does that run $$ and what is included and where do I sign up ???  I will guess this is tv as well as computer ???

Satellite internet hardware will cost from ~$1000-3000, depending on whether you buy new or used, plus installation.  Service is $60-80/month, depending on if you buy direct from HughesNet or through a VAR.  This does not include satellite television.

Has anyone tried the Virgin Mobile Broadband2Go service...it uses the Sprint network. I'm interested in using it in South Florida. Also as an RV is a metal structure, will wireless internet and cell phones services work IN the camper?

thx

Cell and wifi tends to be poor inside an RV. Even in a moderate signal strength area, moving outside - or even up near the windshield of a motorhome - usually results in much more usable signal. Since wifi is very short range anyway, getting the signal inside an RV is often problematic. An external antenna helps both types.

Virgin Mobile's broadband service is spotty nationally, according to reports on the InternetByDataCard Yahoo group that I run. Sprint's own service has roaming with other carriers, but it appears that Virgin's coverage is limited to Sprint's own network. Probably ok in South Flroida, though. It's a prime market and every major cell carrier has good coverage there.

otown said:
Has anyone tried the Virgin Mobile Broadband2Go service...it uses the Sprint network. I'm interested in using it in South Florida. Also as an RV is a metal structure, will wireless internet and cell phones services work IN the camper?thx
If you have enough windows on the correct side for the signal, it should be fine. The windows don't have to be large since the wavelength is rather short. Mine usually works as well inside my class C as it does outside. But if not enough windows, you will probably have problems.

-Don-

Back
Top Bottom