Using Laptop while camping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
have had verizion card for years and always satisified with it.  for 60 bucks a month get unlimited internet,  with MiFi I can hook up to five computers at once.  wouldnt change to anyother carrier.
JJworld
mandalay 38b 03

ua5141 said:
have had verizion card for years and always satisified with it.  for 60 bucks a month get unlimited internet,  with MiFi I can hook up to five computers at once.  wouldnt change to anyother carrier.
JJworld
mandalay 38b 03

You don't get unlimited access from Verizon for $60 per month, you get 5 gigs.

seilerbird said:
You don't get unlimited access from Verizon for $60 per month, you get 5 gigs.

Unless you signed up for it very early and you're grandfathered in to the unlimited. Sometimes it pays to get in early :)

Wendy

The other option instead of a 60 dollar a month air card, you can get a new Verizon phone with WI-FI capability for 30 dollars a month above the phones service plan.  Saves you half the cost that way.  I am currently using a Palm Pre Plus and the 80 dollar month service including internet and Wi-Fi hotspot for my laptop and it works great. 

I have the Verizon Plan (got  it when it was Alltel), and I have unlimited for $60 plus a 10% discount as a employee benefit of my job.  I am grandfathered, I have had this for a long time.  I have the MiFi device and love it.

Just in case you have a Mac that you want to tether with a Verizon phone -- as of mid-2009, Verizon didn't have the ability to help us tether a Samsung Omnia to an iMac. There were supposedly work-arounds on the web, but we weren't able to get it done. The Omnia operates on Windows Mobile, which apparently doesn't play nice with Macs.

Pierat said:
Just in case you have a Mac that you want to tether with a Verizon phone -- as of mid-2009, Verizon didn't have the ability to help us tether a Samsung Omnia to an iMac. There were supposedly work-arounds on the web, but we weren't able to get it done. The Omnia operates on Windows Mobile, which apparently doesn't play nice with Macs.

Pierat:

Have you tried PDANET ?

I have Verizon 3g service as well.  started out with an air card and $60 plan in addition to the HTC Android smart phone.  recently found that the data plan is limited while the phone is not!  dropping the use of the air card to save the money and using the phone tethered by usb cable to the laptop.  just as fast using appcalled  pda.net  just can't talk and surf at the same time.

vermilye said:
Most offer WiFi connections, however the quality of the connection often varies from OK to unusable.
Some RV parks use several different channels to cover the entire park. Last summer, when I was in PeaceArch RV Park (BC, Canada), there where several wireless networks, but all where weak by our RV, but still usable MOST (not always) of the time. But I later discovered that their library had another wireless connection that was a VERY strong signal that could NOT be used or even seen  from the outside the building. But it worked great from inside the library ALL the time.

It seemed to me that MOST RV parks we stayed at had wireless internet during that one month trip in NW USA,  Alberta and BC. And in some towns, such as Kamploops, BC the city provided free  wireless.

It's getting more and more common. I hear they are now putting in free wireless at the SFO airport.

-Don- SF, CA​

We are about to be full timers, but I still need guaranteed connections, like some others, to do my work. We are on an AT&T plan for two years, $60 per 5gb, although my wife is grandfathered, as some others have stated, with unlimited on her iPhone.

I was told by AT&T, and have seen elsewhere, where there are some limitations with tethering, which seems to be "unsupported" but quite doable.

We hope to use a wifi signal booster where needed, and the air card as a backup.

For me, it's a business requirement and the benefits are cheap at twice the price! The RV Forum alone has already saved me tons!

skyking4ar2 said:
We are about to be full timers, but I still need guaranteed connections, like some others, to do my work.
Well, the only safe way will be to call ahead when planning to stay at a RV Park.

Near most larger towns and freeways, I assume your AT&T wireless will work. I am on a similar plan with V/WL.

-Don- SSF, CA​

erpelpa said:
We have taken our laptop when we go to Outdoor Adventures and have to take it to their recreation hall in order to check our e-mails.

Do most campgrounds now offer internet hook ups?

Most places that do offer WiFi will tell you where the best sites are in thier CG for reception. If you're there and you have to work, like I often times do and VPN into the office, keep in mind many have data caps, very small ones so if you keep the VPN link open it could bring you from moderate/slow to 56k modem speeds after the cap has been reached. I bring my own Verizon card and my wife connects to the CG WiFi, works out great and saves me money.

The biggest issue I find with campgrounds is latency is pretty bad (response times from the internet) and this is why I use my Verizon card if it has a good signal, at least its consistent. :)

Most people agree that the Verizon 3G network is better and more reliable.  I am currently using a Palm Pre with the 30  dollar  a month internet plan and WI-Fi hot spot is thrown in for free.  Seems to be reliable and fast in all but the most remote of locations.  I think I will stick with this for now.  Much simpler than a bunch more cords and wires to connect IMHO.

I have a droid with Verizon I do have it rooted but with the root i have unlimited tethering so anywhere the phone picks up the internet picks up

Mike, you don't have to root the Droid to tether it.  PdaNet works on the unrooted Droid.  Rooting will prevent the phone from being updated to the new firmware, 2.2, being pushed out right now.

The biggest issue I find with campgrounds is latency is pretty bad  (response times from the internet) and this is why I use my Verizon card  if it has a good signal, at least its consistent.
smiley.gif

The major problem I have found with Verizon since switching to Verizon 3G is that it is too popular. When I had my Sprint phone tethered to 1xRTT on my XP, I got good service almost everywhere we went, slow but reliable. Upgraded (?) to a Verizon USB card for my W7 PC and got nice faster service EXCEPT when in a crowd of Verizon users. Here we sit in Redmond with who knows how many other users all trying to get on at the same time and we're all dead in the water. Last nite, nearly every download attempt timed out for about a 2 hour period. :'( At 6AM everything zooms along.

Nope, I have unlimited internet on my unrooted 2.1 Droid and tethering.  The 5GB limitation is for aircards and VZW recognized tethered devices, which as of today, the Droid is not.

Thats the way to go. I rooted mine the first day and thought that was the only way to get free tethering. I love mine. I have tethered 3 laptops at a time to mine with no troubles

I understand, rooting is the only way to get the hotspot feature to work without paying $20/month and getting the 5GB limitation :)

If I don't see my Froyo soon, I may apply it manually.  Don't need to root to do it.

Back
Top Bottom