Language meanings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
4ducksrus said:
Margi,
California used to have a lot of Prune Orchards and so that's where the Prune Picker came from. 

Makes sense.  Our west side of the valley (Coalinga) had only brackish water and sulfur springs, so nothing much grew there until the Central Valley project and the Coalinga-Mendota canal were completed after I went north to school.

Margi

codgerbill said:
I am a midwesterner (Michigan) but I think "in deep do-do" is a universally understood phrase. ::)
This Canadian is familiar with that phrase and redneck but not the cotton or prune phrases.

Gary, you are right.  Redneck is a poor man's term.  My mom and all her 12 sisters and brothers picked cotton every year and had very rednecks.  My grandfather would not spend the money to hire laborers to pick; although he had 1,000 acres and was considered a rich man.  They literally grew and produced all of their food stuff.

I have picked cotton, but only as a fun thing.  But my hands got very bloody and sore from the husk that hold the cotton.  When you pick it you have to reach inside the husk and pull it out.

One of the things I have to watch saying is "Chester Drawers".  My family always called a chest of drawers--chester drawers.  So I have to make an effort to say it correctly; along with "creak" which is actually called a creek, the thing that is small stream.

Marsha~

Now wait one minute you bunch of dumb rednecks, I understand that the term rednecks has nothing to do with sunburn or working in the sun. I understand it came from coal  miners that were gathering for a large protest or battle with union coal miners, they were instructed to ware a RED bandanna around their necks so they could be identified and not shot by their fellow workers, thus REDNECK.

OK bring it on!

Margi,  Grew up a little farther down Hwy#33 - oil lease west of Fellows.  You are right not much 'greenery' around that area.  Still isn't.

FWIW, my dad lived in Taft from about 1910 to 1920 when his mother died.  He had lots of stories about kids growing up in that area and time.  Quite a place but ....    :)

maddog348 said:
Margi,  Grew up a little farther down Hwy#33 - oil lease west of Fellows.  You are right not much 'greenery' around that area.  Still isn't.

We weren't exactly city slickers, now, were we Maddog!  Sure was fun growing up there.  We would dig "forts" in the high desert.  When a scorpion moved in, we had to move and dig another.  ::) 

Marcia - I remember Chester Drawers!  Our living room couch was called a Davenport. ???  Also, when someone was tired, they would be "plumb tuckered". 

Margi

Marsha/CA said:
One of the things I have to watch saying is "Chester Drawers".  My family always called a chest of drawers--chester drawers. 

I moved from NC to Boulder, CO in 1976.  While unpacking, I came across a box that I thought might belong to another customer as it was marked "Chester Drows".  It took a few minutes to make the connection to what we called a Chest of Drawers, which was, as you say, a "Chester Drawers".  I have a photo of that box somewhere, but is was well before digital cameras.

My great aunt cooked on a coal stove, it had a big water reseveroir on it and on the back she would raise "light bread", they were just rolls that must have been 6 inches tall and delicious.

She believed in ghosts and called them haints, she and uncle could not read or write. She told me about her mom who was a little girl in the civil war, wish I had got them to talk more about that stuff.

I would get lots of earaches and uncle would get his pipe tobacco out and then blow warm pipe smoke in my ear and yes it felt so much better.

I've heard of "hirin off the bank". Back when they built roads there would be a bank of dirt and guys would wait there.  Many times people got hurt and they were hopin' to get hired off the bank.

Also 3 wraps off the drum,  somebody that wasn't quite right.

****** riggin', just kind of made to do but not right

Nasty clean, that was people that were just super super clean about their houses

Crazy as a june bug

From aunt and uncle, we need to light on out of here, means need to leave

Marsha,

Yooper...slang for a person or persons from the upper penninsula (above the bridge) of Michigan.

Troll..slang for a person or persons that live in the peninsula below the bridge.

The language of the yoopers more closly resembles the language of the Canadians up there.....EH  (Eh, pronounced ay,  is used in conjunction with the phrase "hows it goin eh?", or "get me anudder Molson...eh". ;D

Several years ago I & family were in Virginia (in the Navy).  We stopped at a gas station (full service back then) and a tall black gentleman saundered out.  So tall he put an arm on the top of my '61 Ford Falcon and leaned down to see what I needed.  I told him to fill it with regular and he saundered off to start the pump.  Shortly he returned while the pump was still running, leaned down again and in a pleasant southern drawl said, "How's y'all?"  Having lived in Houston when I was a kid, I knew what he meant.  I said, "We're fine, thanks. How are you?'  He nodded, turned and began washing the windshield, but stopped and turned back, leaned back down and repeated, "No suh, how's y'all?"  This time it hit me.  He was asking "How's your oil?"

My wife's grandmother often referred to people as "slack twisted".  I believe it comes from the days of spinning yarn when the yarn was spun too loosely.  Some say it meant untidy, but Grandma used it to define someone who was a bit silly.  "That feller is a bit slack twisted."

We always had an "icebox" even when it was a refrigerator.

When talking to my grandmother about dating and the advantages of using of a car. She dated in a horse & buggy and absolutely stopped all discussion with "But the horse knew the way home."

Had to interpret for a co-worker once...Her boyfriend wanted "biled aigs" in a potato salad (boiled eggs).  DH always wanted "round aigs" when he was a kid.
And a friend of a friend asked about the "shack" in the fish tank.  He was from the east coast and wanted to know if that was a shark.
Sacramento, CA was called Sacratomato - it was in the middle of a lot of tomato fields and the Campbells Tomato Soup plant was in Sacramento.
Down the road was Bezerkly...
"God willing and the crik don't rise" was something I heard my mother say a lot - especially since we lived on the other side of the creek and when it rose it flooded our bridge!

We use to call grilled cheese sandwiches "cheese toasties".  I still call them that.  Also, I sweep the floor with the sweeper (vacuum).  In the south we would call lunch dinner and dinner supper.  And I have to watch myself with not using "all ya all" instead of ya' all.

Porkey, I love the way you write "southern".  I can read all of it and know what you are saying....cracks me up.  We have a Tiffin coach and when Tim (hubby) calls Red Bay, Ala to order something, he inevitably hands the phone to me and says: " I can't understand if they got my order correct or not;; will you talk to them". 

Marsha~

[quote author=Marsha/CA ]... I sweep the floor with the sweeper (vacuum).[/quote]

In the old country they'd say "Hoover the floor". Hoover was the first/main brand name of vacuum cleaner, and they had a large factory in the valleys.

Our versions of a couple of these - "Dumber than a red brick" and "Don't get your panties in a wad."

And add me to the list of Californians who didn't know about "tall cotton."

Wendy

[quote author=maddog348] ...."don't  get your knickers in a knot."[/quote]

In the (my) old country it was "don't get your knickers in a twist".

Back
Top Bottom