Language meanings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
[quote author=codgerbill]
..... my codger memory only remembers the iceman bringing the ice chunk into the house and placing in the icebox. I do remember, it was one of my "chores" to make sure the water tray didn't overflow :eek: [/quote]

We used to place a card in the window with the number representing the amount of ice (in pounds) that we needed that day, facing UP.
[quote author=codgerbill]As I remember it the scuttlebutt was the drinking fountain on the ship. Same as the watercooler in an office. People gathered round the Scuttlebutt to exchange "gossip/rumors".
[/quote]

Pert' near correct.  As I recall scuttlebutt was the rumor of the day.  Such as; The Scuttlebutt is......  or Scuttlebutt has it that.........

But then again, memory Lane takes some weird turns at times :D ;)

[quote author=judway]
When we answered, how are you, some said tolerable well, My uncle said toble well. Most everywhere some answer fair to middlin or at least are familiar to it.
[/quote]

I've been known to answer that query with; "not too bad for a little old short & ugly bald headed fat man... how's yerself?"

(try it sometime on the nurse gathering information to prep the doctor who's about to see you) :D

Usually the locals ask, "how ya been?"  If they know ya real well, they'll add.... "and how's yer mom and 'em?"

One thing that confused me years ago was when I first heard prolly used for probably.

Margi

Tom and Margi said:
One thing that confused me years ago was when I first heard prolly used for probably.

Margi

Margi, that one popped up often in the thread I once started about "Pet Peeves".

To hear someone say prolly for probably simply tells me they are too lazy to pronounce one more syllable.

When I see it in print, like in a forum post, I immediately stop reading.

end of rant... grrrriiitt 'dem teeth!!

aka Porky said:
To hear someone say prolly for probably simply tells me they are too lazy to pronounce one more syllable.
Well heck, Porky.  Isn't most slang and localized language useage because it is a way to shortcut more proper language?  I'd say much of it is being "lazy".

Molaker said:
Well heck, Porky.  Isn't most slang and localized language useage because it is a way to shortcut more proper language?  I'd say much of it is being "lazy".

Nah! Molaker, it's jus' we don' know no better. :)

Seriously, I may be wrong, but I don't think "prolly" is/was a regional dialect.  It was purposely coined, in my opinion.

I'll admit, we all probably speak some words so different from how they are spelled that the average foreigner couldn't possibly recognize them, but to create a spelling for an invented word, is over the top.  Again, JMO.

I also think that using spellcheck is something that a lot of people neglect to do. 

4ducksrus ~~ I write what I want to say ~ slang ~ regional abberations included.  Why would I want a machine that does not KNOW my intentions CHANGE what I am saying.??

I love this thread!  Aren't words wonderful!

Does anyone besides a Pittsburgher say they "redd out the drawers" for clean out the drawers?  I was told it's unique to western Pennsylvania and Scot-Irish in origin.

Also, that whole thing about Yoopers for Upper Michigan seems to have started since we left Michigan in 1962.  Jerry is a Michigander and neither of us knew what it meant when we saw it on signs a few years ago.

ArdraF

aka Porky said:
Seriously, I may be wrong, but I don't think "prolly" is/was a regional dialect.  It was purposely coined, in my opinion.

has been used here way longer than I have been around

aka Porky said:
to create a spelling for an invented word, is over the top.  Again, JMO.

so when the first Europeans came over here , the spelling of many words we still use was different than they are now , over the top , for changing the spelling ??

JackHammr said:
so when the first Europeans came over here , the spelling of many words we still use was different than they are now , over the top , for changing the spelling ??

Jack, you win!

and I din't uze spell chk 'er nutin'....

JackHammr said:
So Molaker and Porky I take it you speak "proper and correct" with no slang used at all ??
I'm not sure how you got that from my posting.  My use of the English (American, hillbilly) language is quite the contrary as a matter of fact.  Although, I do try to write as correctly as I know how, which admittedly, is not all that correct.

Marsha/CA said:
I've split and moved this discussion to a new topic because I think it might be fun to discover and discuss language meanings. 

Marsha~

AMEN!!

What'd I win ??

If I misunderstood what either of you said , I apologize right here , right now ..

I never use spell checker and trash the language with a keyboard sumpthin' terrible ..

One a my pet peeves is mis spelling words , especially when I do it ..

If I go to a business website that has mis spelled words , I will not go any further ..

Tho' I do like short cuts on the keyboard such as tho' , and I have my own spellings for some like werd or werk ..

codgerbill said:
Speaking of ice boxes......we had one when I was a kid and the ice man came (I think) at least once a week carrying that big chunk of ice on his back. I had to dump the water tray on the bottom of the ice box too.
You really ARE a codger!!

ArdraF said:
I love this thread!  Aren't words wonderful!

Does anyone besides a Pittsburgher say they "redd out the drawers" for clean out the drawers?  I was told it's unique to western Pennsylvania and Scot-Irish in origin.

Also, that whole thing about Yoopers for Upper Michigan seems to have started since we left Michigan in 1962.  Jerry is a Michigander and neither of us knew what it meant when we saw it on signs a few years ago.

ArdraF

Get yourself a copy of the  Dictionary of American Regional English if you want to learn about your language (and your fellow countrymen's). It is both studious and entertaining. (and expensive!)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cory5999
Back
Top Bottom